Air Conditioning -inverter System Advice Pls

chayatom

I am thinking about replacing my existing 5 split type ac units in my apartment with a single cooling unit which feeds the individual rooms - i think its called an Inverter system.

The reason for doing this is partly as the current units are quite old(c10 years and starting to go wrong), very inefficient(my last electric bill was 18k) but also so that i can remove two very large fan coil units from my living room balcony(there about 4 feet high) giving me back a lot of space on the balcony,less noise and more light into my living room which is a little gloomy.

My plan is to put the Inverter unit on my bedroom balcony and feed the rest of the apartment from there.

I have seen this system advertised on the web but have been unable to find an air con company with good english language skills to explain the pros and cons. It seems a good idea in theory but i have no idea whether it is practical or not or affordable.

Has anyone investigated this previously or can recommend a installation co pany who can give me some good advice not just sell me the system??

Thanks

I am thinking about replacing my existing 5 split type ac units in my apartment with a single cooling unit which feeds the individual rooms - i think its called an Inverter system.

The reason for doing this is partly as the current units are quite old(c10 years and starting to go wrong), very inefficient(my last electric bill was 18k) but also so that i can remove two very large fan coil units from my living room balcony(there about 4 feet high) giving me back a lot of space on the balcony,less noise and more light into my living room which is a little gloomy.

My plan is to put the Inverter unit on my bedroom balcony and feed the rest of the apartment from there.

I have seen this system advertised on the web but have been unable to find an air con company with good english language skills to explain the pros and cons. It seems a good idea in theory but i have no idea whether it is practical or not or affordable.

Has anyone investigated this previously or can recommend a installation co pany who can give me some good advice not just sell me the system??

Thanks

You are referring to a multi-split system where a single outdoor unit serves several indoor units.You would definitely need an inverter outdoor unit here whereby the starting current is very low compared to the standard models. I suggest you contact Mitsubishi Electric Kang Yong Watana Co.Ltd. in Bangkok www.mitsubishi-kyw.co.th(tel.no.027316841) direct.If they are anything like their English counterparts,they will advise you fully on the sizes of each unit and the feasability of this type of system in your home.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks

You are referring to a multi-split system where a single outdoor unit serves several indoor units.You would definitely need an inverter outdoor unit here whereby the starting current is very low compared to the standard models. I suggest you contact Mitsubishi Electric Kang Yong Watana Co.Ltd. in Bangkok www.mitsubishi-kyw.co.th(tel.no.027316841) direct.If they are anything like their English counterparts,they will advise you fully on the sizes of each unit and the feasability of this type of system in your home.

Good luck

Thanks for your help.

I did get a contractor around "ServeAir"(02 673 0088) who was very good. He is going to give me a quote to relocate the fan coil units from one balcony to another and improve the return air circulation which he says is the problem with the efficiency. If this works it should save me a lot of cash rather than buying a new inverter system!

• 4 months later...
I have seen this system advertised on the web but have been unable to find an air con company with good english language skills to explain the pros and cons

Hello Chayatom, the inverter compressor definitely have advantages however there are disadvantages which they are not telling you and would need to look out for.

The inverter compressor falls under variable capacity system or compressor which means that it will give the right cooling capacity when needed to improve efficiency and ensure that it provides that right temperature. Simply put it as these types of machines can act like big compressors when the temperature outside is hot and act like small machines with the temperature outside is cold.

Let say you buy a 10 HP system, the inverter can act like a small 4HP system and a big 10HP system depending on conditions. This means its capacity is only between 40-100% which is not enough if you want the best cost efficiency.

Looking back at how inverters work, it plays around with the frequency to change the speed of the motor. The motor speeds up and speed down simply because of the frequency being supplied. If the frequency matches a structure with the same natural frequency this will cause vibration. Simply imagine a tuning fork place need a wine glass. As the fork vibrate, its frequency changes, by the time the frequecy it emits matches the natural frequency of the wine glass, the wine glass will vibrate as well. If the wine glass is exposed to prolong vibration this will break the wine glass. Now, if this is your house, the inverter can cause vibration to your piping.

Edited by mekaniko5

• 1 month later...