10 Day Tourist Visa Extension

Hi,

Quick couple of questions for the visa experts...

Is it still possible to obtain a 10 day extension to the standard 30 day arrival stamp?

Does this have to be done in Suan Plu?

How much does it cost?

What time/days does the office open?

Thanks in advance for any replys!!

Cheers.

Maestro,

I am a 49 year old American now in BKK, arrived here on May 1 and got a 30 day stamp until May 30. Because I was not familiar with and did not know the consequences of Thai Immigration laws, I unknowingly I booked my flight back to the US on June 7 which I guess would have me in Thailand for 38 days. I would like to get a 7 day extension as you recommended for ashacat, but I am worried that I will be in Thailand illegally for 24 hours. Do you have suggestions of what I might do to avoid being here illegally? I would like to come back in July for 2 months, so I dont want to overstay this time and not be able to come back in July. My girlfriend of 5 months is Thai and lives in BKK, so I really want to be able to come back. Thank you!

Edited by rideswings

A quick border crossing/return for a new 30 day visa exempt entry would seem to fit. Organized trips advertise in classified sections of English papers and cost is about the same as a 7 day extension. No overstay or overstay stamp using that method. Although such a stamp would not likely cause you any problem it is best to avoid anything negative in today's world.

For your July trip obtain a tourist visa from a US Consulate. It can be done by mail.

Maestro,

I am a 49 year old American now in BKK, arrived here on May 1 and got a 30 day stamp until May 30. Because I was not familiar with and did not know the consequences of Thai Immigration laws, I unknowingly I booked my flight back to the US on June 7 which I guess would have me in Thailand for 38 days. I would like to get a 7 day extension as you recommended for ashacat, but I am worried that I will be in Thailand illegally for 24 hours. Do you have suggestions of what I might do to avoid being here illegally? I would like to come back in July for 2 months, so I dont want to overstay this time and not be able to come back in July. My girlfriend of 5 months is Thai and lives in BKK, so I really want to be able to come back. Thank you!

I don't think you will find a 1 day overstay will hinder your return, I don't think they will even fine you for the first day (500 baht per day up to max 20,000). If you're really that worried about it just do a border run, and you will get another 30 day stamp when you re-enter.

You can only spend 90 days in a 6 month period here on these visa exemptions, so depending how long you want to stay in July you might be better off getting a tourist visa in a consulate or embassy in your home country.

EDIT/ Sorry for the dual info, Lopburi had not replied when I started typing.

Edited by sweetchariot

Thank you so much for your answers! It sounds like a border run is appropriate, and maybe this is a good time to visit a neighboring country for a few days. Any suggestions of where we might go? I have looked at posts about a border run, but Im hesitant to go to Myanmar in the wake of the cyclone. Any comments?

Edited by rideswings