Thai Number Plates With Eu Symbol

Whats happening here?, yesterday a Vigo with Thai plates and EU symbol & (D), presumably Deutschland on show. Later in the day another truck with same plates. Also sighted several more over the last few months.

None of the occupants appeared to be hailing from the "Fatherland", or perhaps these vehicles are financed by generous Germans.

Embassy plates include the letters "CD" for "Corps Diplomatique".

It's just a fad. A bit like people in the UK displaying "CYM" for Wales or "Ecosse" for Scotland (presumably because of the affiliation between the Scots and French).

Scouse.

Yep ^^^,

I think you can get them in Chinatown although no idea where. Oddly I've only ever seen them with a 'D', dunno if this says anything about Germans (or Thais who want to be German).

I also believe that the legality is a bit doubtful, some Bangkok coppers even wanted to fine my stepson for his fully official fancy-background Pathum Thani plates :o

FG, I know the answer to this.

My mate who owns SP Audio shops in Surin sells plastic 'wipe clean' covers for the embossed metal plates. Without intending to appear racist, I chose to have one with the 'Playboy' logo instead of the 'D', cos I'm not German. He only stocks that type of Euro plate cover because the customers with higher-end cars all seem to be BMW & Merc's (hence the 'D').

I got nice chrome GB letters for my truck (to remind me when we used to be Great). :o

Dave

Edited by Dave the Dude

I think they are the plastic covers that are sold at the car accessory shops and market stalls, as well at the D I have also seen a few with TH along side the Euro circle of yellow stars on a blue, just a pretty pattern to them.

I would guess the D logo is because the design of the plastic cover being custom made for German car licence plates just so happens to be the same as for Thai cars? So the Thai after sales accessory market just happens to be a secondary market place for these items. Goods made in China perhaps?

The plates are illegal. The car I drive came with those plates on. I have been pulled over by cops twice now in the last couple of weeks, seems to be the flavor of the month for the cops to make money. Apparently they are illegal, because the original plates need to be cut to fit inside the cover. The cops wouldn't by my mai pen rai argument. Replacement plates apparently cost 100 baht.

The plates are illegal. The car I drive came with those plates on. I have been pulled over by cops twice now in the last couple of weeks, seems to be the flavor of the month for the cops to make money. Apparently they are illegal, because the original plates need to be cut to fit inside the cover. The cops wouldn't by my mai pen rai argument. Replacement plates apparently cost 100 baht.

Sorry mate

You've been fooled by the BIB, but full marks for their originality. :o:D

I stood over the guy while he fitted mine and they did not need cutting in any way. The original plate sits inside the narrow plastic clear 'container'.

If they are illegal, why do you see army vehicles with similar number plate carriers?

Dave

Sorry mate

I stood over the guy while he fitted mine and they did not need cutting in any way. The original plate sits inside the narrow plastic clear 'container'.

If they are illegal, why do you see army vehicles with similar number plate carriers?

Dave

Do you mean army vehicles in germany? :D

Sorry mate

Dave

If your now talking about making a long width plate instead of the more square ones, you cant manage that with the plastic covers.

Here on Phuket I was given a chunky plate, it wont fit on my Euro car.. I asked at the transport office to buy a wide one, they told me that it wasnt possible and if I was to do like others and cut my plate down and use one of the wide plastic white masks I would be breaking the law.

I then went and cut the plate down as the other simply wouldnt fit in the bumper and I would have had the previous plate holes etc.. To make the fit some of the Thai characters that make up the word Phuket had to be chopped a bit.. There was simply no way to cut a phuket fat plate into a Euro wide plate without losing some text.

Edited by LivinLOS

these have been around since 2004, they are legal and can be bought at the tra dep., just as the special provincial plates.

Again if you mean wide style plates then not in Phukets transport department they are not.

Sorry mate

Dave

OK, Dave

fooled by the BIB? Thanks for the good advice, next time they try stop me I will just keep driving.

But seriously, maybe the plate cover you have is taller than mine.

Anyway I recommend anyone with these plates not take the tollway in Bangkok, because that's where police are hanging out at the tollbooths and exits trying to make a buck off the drivers with these types of plates on their cars. And I was not the only one they were doing this to. All cars with these types of plates were being pulled over.

Hi Uros

Actually now you mentioned it, I do seem to recall the shop having various sizes of plastic numberplate covers. It may be I was lucky and got a correctly fitted cover instead of a 'cut n shut' adapted one. Im lucky up here in Issaan because us ferangs don't tend to be stopped often cos its too much bother for the poor BIB. :o

Happy motoring

:D

Dave

• 1 month later...

When I saw these first 2 yrs ago, I thought they were owned by German expats like me. But realizing that 99.9% are Thai drivers, I think it's just a fashion thing. Yes D = Deutschland, but I even some unusual combinations like BU, S (Sweden) etc.

I think most of the drivers have no idea that these plates show the EU symbol etc.

Typical Thai Wannabe thing