Thai Woman Charged In Husband's Killing Out On Bail, Family Says

funfun

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Well the time is just a day and a half away before trial starts. It is with a very heavy heart and hopes that justice will be served/ We have been diligent the whole course of this mess and Richard is still in Thailand working on this to the bitter end. We have had our hopes up so very many times. The most recent being coverage by W-FIVE. As far as we know they are not covering. They required too many unrealistic circumstances...such as copies of signed confessions and/or camera crew allowed in courtroom. Would that be permitted in the western world? No. Does anyone think we will respond to media after this...not likely!

I sat out on the deck this eve and prayed, cried and talked to Dale. The dark sky lit up with a light show...

This is a good man who had so much more to give this world. Too bad his wife only thought about the moment...one she will never see...never!

UPDATE :

The trial for the people accused of killing my brother begins tomorrow 9:00 am. July 28, 2009 in the city of Ranong at the provicial court building. The trial will last for 5 days, July 28, 29, 30, 31 and August 4. The decision will be rendered possibly 2 weeks after the last date possibly 1 month. Today I went through some civil proceedings against the family as they have taken all his assets and given me access to nothing even though I was named co-executor of his estate along with the accused's mother...Today's civil hearing had me on the witness stand for the better part of 3 hours....The really frustrating part was they (the accused murderess) were most interested in asking me questions regarding my brothers life insurance policy and what I knew about it....I had to explain to them that the life insurance policy information was beyond the jurisdiction of the Thai civil court and besides...I know nothing...The judge agreed but her lawyer persisted....you can guess what they are interested in....$$$...Finally the Judge said no more questions about the insurance...I know nothing anyways....but I knew he was just fishing...It was rather amusung actually as he would ask me a question thinking it would trip me up or something as he would do a little twirly after asking the question kind of a zippity do da with his pen in hand....but you know what....the truth flows freely which he just didn't seem to understand trying again and again....Good Luck with your lies tomorrow Nee..... RIP Dale....

Edited by richardshane

July 29, 2009 Day 2 of Trial :

Todays proceedings began with a bang this morning, we went into the court room early before the judge arrived and as we were sitting down a lady from the defense side started ranting about how we followed her last night at tesco lotus (like wallmart). We did see her as we passed right by her...After seeing her it did not take long for us to get what we needed and get out of the area as I don't know who else was close by...Anyways then the whole other side started started on about us following her and the accused hitman then got up and was ready to come over to my side of the court room but luckily there was a police investigator there to tell him to sit down....There is absolutley no security within the court rooms and these people are free to do as they please without any security. Anyways that said there was an investigator who took the stand and presented his evidence which included written confessions from both Nee and her boyfriend in which Nee said Dale (my brother) beat her up on a regular basis which is why she, together with her boyfriend, arranged his murder through her boyfriends uncle who is known as a hitman in the area. They stated that they payed him 30,000 baht half of the total 60,000 baht. Both statements confessed to the crime, how they did it as well as who did it. The investigator also showed pictures from a reinactment of the the crime, where they paid the money and to whom. The investigator also produced video which was not shown in the court which was video recorded confessions from both accused which detailed the events.The video was given to the jdge and I have no idea when it will be viewed. The defense did seem rather interested in though. The investigator also showed confessions made at a later date in which they denied all alegations and Nee stated she loved her husband etc. The prosecution then let the defense lawyers cross-examine the evidence produced which did not really seem to amount to much as it did not go on for long. They never got a confession from Jinda (the hitman) so evidence against him which would be both signed confessions was examined by his lawyer. Although the evidence against them is enough in my mind to convict all who knows. Anyways at this point we broke for lunch break. After lunch court reconvined and the lead investigator in the case arrived and produced evidence which was phone records which included sms messages (text), bullet details,insurance policy etc. which was given to the judge as evidence to be used against the three one the 31. For some reason the defense decided to skip tomorrows scheduled hearing and we will not have to be in court again until Friday the 31. The afternoon was a rather quick affair as the defense did not question the lead investigator very much as there was not much to work with. On another note at the end of the day I had a discussion with the lead investigator and he said if the evidence against the hitman is not strong enough and he walks free....they all walk free....That really struck me as unfair....Anyways that is what happened today. I won't be out roaming the streets today it just does not feel safe.....

Keep posting as I hope that fair justice will prevail. Judging from what has been presented to the court there is no way the conspirators should walk free. In fact it seems like the whole faimly are in cahoots over this sad affair. However if they do get jailed you should be looking to leave the country quickly for your own safety.

The retraction of the original confession could signal that they are getting worried.

Edited by Valentine

The biggest problem here is that I cannot be involved in the prosecution as according to Thai law it must be a mother/father or son/daughter there is no other exception....Totally Unfair !!! We have no parents as they are deceased and my brother never had children. So, there the court appointed prosecutor sits with 3 vultures waiting to pick apart their pray...they work together against ONE PROSECUTOR....if I was a parent or sibling I could be involved in the process and hire a co-prosecutor to help with prosecution but I cannot....I can tell you it is quite a helpless feeling sitting watching the process....with the accused and defence lawyers smiling and laughing....

My prayers are with you Richardshane. I can't imagine what it's like.

Not to sound macabre, but your courtroom insight is quite interesting. I've always wondered what it's like on the inside of the Thai legal system, I appreciate your details.

I hope sending Nee to jail prevents others from having to go through what you are going through now.

May Dale rest in peace.

Please continue to keep us informed.

The biggest problem here is that I cannot be involved in the prosecution as according to Thai law it must be a mother/father or son/daughter there is no other exception....Totally Unfair !!! We have no parents as they are deceased and my brother never had children. So, there the court appointed prosecutor sits with 3 vultures waiting to pick apart their pray...they work together against ONE PROSECUTOR....if I was a parent or sibling I could be involved in the process and hire a co-prosecutor to help with prosecution but I cannot....I can tell you it is quite a helpless feeling sitting watching the process....with the accused and defence lawyers smiling and laughing....

Richard, if I may ask: WHO is representing you and your sister in court ?

I didn't read anything about a Lawyer, representing Dale's case, or am I mistaken and is it the Prosecutor who is working for you (or is he representing the people of Thailand) ?

LaoPo

Richard, as a farang, I've dealt with immature vengeful Thais for years on end. There is no low point to their depraved vengeful possibilities. I'm sure you've learned a lot in the past months about how low some Thais can go, but don't think you've fully fathomed the depths. There's always a lower possible point.

It's tough, and I feel for your predicament. Be careful. Remember, once the gloves are off (so to speak), there's no bottom to how low they, and their acquaintances will go. I would say more, but T.Visa policies preclude me speaking as plainly as I'd like to on the subject. Indeed, I may have already overstepped what's allowed.

LaoPo,

They don't get represented in court, in a criminal case, they are there as prosecution witnesses, the Prosecutor is supposedly working as a representative of the 'Thai People' and the victim in the case (which includes Dales careing siblings & friends).

Thats my understanding of it anyway.

I hope Dales 'real family' remains strong and united during this terribly difficult time, tonight is the first time I have read this thread & I am horrified at what they have been through and what may lay ahead for them. My thoughts are with you all.

I hope these murderous monsters are found guilty and rott inside a Thai Jail.

To all of you...thank you for all your insights, prayers and very kind words.

I wrote letters all night, hoping it will be heard loud and clear, if the justice system wants to drill about insurance they may call our American or Canadian lawyers. Like Richard said it is out of the jurisdiction of the Thai courts. No one will profit from murder, found guilty or not!

We also had contact with media in Thailand...keeping my fingers and toes crossed...and my mouth shut.

We did hit the National level in News here...that is a great feeling and I thank Global News and The Calgary Herald for making that happen. They worked really well with me and let me keep my sunglasses on for the filming...made me feel not so "out there"?

I hope and pray something positive happens. All your messages give us strength, at this point we really need alot of that, especially Richard. He is doing a very courageous thing. Everytime I read these things...I start bawling, it's hard to read through tears.

MJ...R.I.P. Dale

Thanks for the support everyone it does feel a bit better....

Just another little tidbit of what I am going through here...during the testimony of the mother the first day she did say that both her and Nee were upstairs during the incident but Nee in her statement said she was downstairs and the bad men told her to lie on the floor and not look at them....BS, also it took them 30 minutes from the time of the murder till the mother went to the village government guys house which is about a two minute walk...they didn't get on the phone and call the police ??? The mother said Nee was busy holding my brother crying....also the defense kept on mentioning a Thai freind of Dales who he like to hang out with....I'm thinking no, Dale didn't hang out with anyone especially someone who spoke no English...The reason I found out he spoke no english was because there has been some middle aged guy hanging out on their side of the court and yesterday just before court went back in after lunch this guy come up to me and says his name is Chot and he was Dales freind (he said this in Thai to my freind) she told me and I looked at him and said I don't know you and have never seen you at my brothers or with my brother ...he was a little shocked at my abruptness but I knew immediatley where it was going....the enemy trying to befriend, trying to pull at my heart....he said yes I know Dale...chopper....I said no I don't know you...and we walked away...He went and sat on the other side....Tonight I hear he was telling people around Ranong after the murder to not believe the newspapers which were reporting the murder.......I think I've pretty much seen it all...sorry if I don't trust you if I ever meet you but.....This is Thailand...

Hi RichardShane, MaryJane.

I have just read the whole topic from top to bottom, and have to say that I think you are both very brave and strong people for holding yourselves together like this. I really wish I could do something for you both to help out but I am afraid I really do not have the means. stay strong and I am sure you will get Justice, I really hope so for Dales sake.

I hope the next few days go well for you as well.

Good Luck

Richard and M.J. I have just been redirected to this thread from another one. Hang in there; it is very important. Richard, sadly there are equally as many bad farangs as there are Thais in Thailand having read through this entire thread. Put all this to the side and keep soldiering on. There should be only one thing on our minds and that is justice for Dale. Dale was close to the best friend I ever had and I still think of some of the crazy times we had (in Ranong). I saw the photos of him lying on the floor after this tragic event and I will never forget those images. In the 6 years that I knew Dale I only ever saw a kind hearted gentleman. However, I could see through his wife but he could not. This is a case of brutal murder and we should all (Thai and Foreigners) stand and be heard. We need to make some noise and show that this sort of thing will not be tolerated. The old saying "the squeaky wheel gets the attention" is very appropriate now. This is not the time for all those negative opinions as seen in previous posts. Those that didn't know Dale will never understand how he finished up in this situation. He was a good man with a good heart but a little too trusting. Once again Richard, hang in there. Any farangs in Ranong that haven't yet been to the Courtroom then make an appearance on the next day. Leave an impression in the Judges eyes. Cheers Dale, RIP

richardshane & Mary-Jane:

I'm surprised you didn't answer my post #252; my question about Lawyers.

About one year ago, in August 2008 I sent you and Mary-Jane a few PM messages; one of them contained the address of a respected lawyers' office in Bangkok.

That same office is also recommended by your own government in Canada.

The same lawyers' office helped a family in another murder case (Pattaya) whereby the family of the murdered victim was quite content with the help they received.

Did you contact them to ask for help and assistance?

LaoPo

Sorry LaoPo,

I've been busy reviewing different media reports across Canada....Its really peaking right now I just hope the momentum keeps going till the verdict. Since we are neither the father or mother or son or daughter of Dale we cannot hire our own prosecutors....I would have loved to believe me...but I was told flat out that it is written in Thai law....If I were either of the above I would have had access to all the prosecutions evidence etc. but I am not so I have not....This is the Law......

Richardshane and Mary Jane

The horrific experience that you have been through will be etched into all of our hearts. A courageous brother and sister, I am sure that Dale is very proud of you both, RIP to Dale and I wish you peace and harmony in the future. I fervently hope that the perpetrators of this heinous crime get all they deserve and suffer endlessly.

My thoughts are with you in this difficult time

Kindest Regards

Chris

I've just read through this entire thread for the first time.

What couregeous people you are in the face of this appalling crime. What strikes me is how you have managed to remain composed throughout the ordeal. It is a sad fact that there are many Nees in this country. My ex-wife was of a similar type. Luckily I detected it in time through the help of some expat friends and escaped with my kids, though the Thai courts and the police.

I wish you my heartfelt best for the trial.

I take there has been no claims on the insurance. Where was the policy underwritten? Have you seen the policy wording?

To Richard. I admire your bravery. Make sure you have some good people around you during the next few days.

GFL.

pardon my ignorance, but i thought one cannot collect insurance on "murder" cases? :)

Dead right, i would have thought the same thing. there is always a clause in contracts to not be overlooked and must be read thouroghly to be sure to be sure.

If any of you live within 80kms of Ranong, please try to get to the courthouse this morning to show the Thai judiciary that we care.

I know that not many expats live in the area so please make the effort to give Richard some physical support.

The trial of the "Ranong Three" has very adverse implications for ALL of us if they are aquitted. :)

Thanks.

gd

Over a year ago the insurance contacted me in order to reach Nee's lawyer for the purpose of asking if she would give up her right to the policy in order to give it to the contingent beneficiary....Not likely...Anyways I better get ready for today....

Richardshane and Mary Jane,

Good luck to both of you! It's great that you have been able to do so much, I hope the media interest in Canada continues to build and puts some external pressure on the outcome!

Again, Good Luck! Keep strong!

Maneerat Nee, Henry's wife of five years who was 27 at the time of the killing, is accused of hiring a hit man so she could collect on his $1-million life-insurance policy.

Are there still guys dumb enough to buy life insurance policies on their own lives...it's just like signing your own death warrant :D

The first thing a wise old-timer told me when I first came to Thailand is to always make sure that if you get involved with Thais in any way (business, romance, whatever) to always be sure that you are more valuable to them alive than if you are dead. For if it is the other way around, it won't be long before you are in fact dead!

A decade later, I'm still kicking :D

It's such a simple rule...why do so many not heed it?

jonniebkk post2001785 :D heres a heads up posters, Bangkok bank have and are still giving free!! accident life policies with any new account.They stopped giving bags,tee shirts. they dont ask to whom it should be paid.? when one has an accident. each account has 100,000 baht on death,! as i travel thailand and dont like paying cross province bank fees :D i opened six accounts . :) i have not informed my other half :D and have hidden the forms random chance

Hello, I posted this in the morning and It is gone...so here it is again.

Hello, I am happy to report some more positive news than we have been able to report thus far. Things really changed at the courthouse after making alot of noise with the Canadian Embassy. We had to get serious with them as a last ditch attempt. Richard was feeling quite alone and fearful with no security at all. Him getting accused in court of following and scaring a woman at tesco/lotus, although when he recognized her he got scared and hurried out of there thinking others might be around. The hitman got up to go to Richard and luckily a policeman was waiting in the court to give testimony and he stopped him. Not even a security guard in the court. After that I was so afraid for my brother's life, I wrote a letter under one cover and sent it to our Embassy, NCCC (Thai counter corruption), all the media outlets, my lawyer. Also brought up the insurance will never leave North America and if anyone had any further questions about the insurance please direct it to my lawyer. It would be different had his policies were held in Thailand. What a difference a day makes!!

Today turns out to be the last day needed for trial. Richard packed his car before going to court. He called when all was done while he is driving far away from Ranong. He said it was so different. Everyone entering had to produce I.D. No one allowed to wander any halls, security in the courtroom etc.

Jinda Sae Tae (hitman) took the stand and it came out that he did write and sign a statement. He said the police threatened to hit him with something. He also admitted to being paid. When asked if he had any court to attend, it turns out he has another murder trial on Aug 07/09. The mother of Nee also has been able to think she could do what she wanted, she got up to go and see a policemans child during the proceedings and the judge yelled at her to sit down and don't get up again. She remained somber and lost her smile. (she was in the home at the time of the murder.)

The next court date for verdict is set for August 27/09.

Thanks all for positive input.

Dale was a very happy, generous fellow. He loved his life and it made him so happy to be able to provide well for Nee and her family. None of them needed anything. His monthly salary was more than enough ($10,000.00 US). Right up to 2 days before he died, he had e-mails to his "Darling Nee" other's to friends of his saying how he was so lucky to have such a great wife! Another telling Nee that he didn't care how much a better roof was for the home he bought for her Mother...he said Mom deserves the best. Also in his mail was a letter arranging boat plans, he was going to finally build one. One of his big dreams since he was young...Such a shame...he would have accomplished so much more and made a positive difference in many lives. Anyone who met him liked him. If you sat in a pub...never never did you pay for anything. If you were an ass or hurt an animal, that's a different story... just a little insight to Dale's charachter.

R.I.P. Dale