Thai Woman Charged In Husband's Killing Out On Bail, Family Says

funfun

Joel Kom, Canwest News Service

Published: Monday, May 26, 2008

CALGARY - A Thai woman accused of orchestrating the slaying of her Canadian husband has been granted bail, according to the man's Alberta-based family.

Dale Henry, a 48-year-old who was born in Victoria, B.C., but spent much of his life in Calgary, was shot point-blank in the head in his home in Ranong, Thailand, on Feb. 3.

Maneerat Nee, Henry's wife of five years who was 27 at the time of the killing, is accused of hiring a hit man so she could collect on his $1-million life-insurance policy.

After being denied bail several times, Nee appealed and eventually won the right to pay around $21,000 to get out on bail, said Henry's sister, Mary-Jane Matheson, from her home outside Calgary.

The two others implicated in the killing remain in jail. Amornsak Keskaew, apparently Nee's lover, and Jinda Sae Tae, accused of being a hired hit man, are both charged in Henry's death.

Meanwhile, Henry's brother Richard is still in Thailand after court proceedings to have his dead brother's assets unfrozen were delayed by more than a month.

Matheson said she and her brother are waiting for the preliminary court dates to be set, likely for some time next month.

Meanwhile, the family of another Calgarian killed in Thailand is also awaiting news in June.

Leo Del Pinto, 25, was shot to death on Jan. 6 while he and a friend were walking home in Pai, Thailand. A Thai police officer has admitted to shooting Del Pinto, but said it was in self-defence, though eyewitness accounts said that wasn't the case.

Del Pinto's father, Ernie, said he's expecting a report next month from the Thailand Department of Special Investigation, which took over the case after concerns were raised over how Thai police were handling it.

He expects a court date to be set for the fall, and plans on heading to Thailand himself.

"I have to face this man that shot my innocent son," he said.

Calgary Herald

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/st...c1-a2a627c238d2

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meanwhile, Henry's brother Richard is still in Thailand after court proceedings to have his dead brother's assets unfrozen were delayed by more than a month.

why is that taking so long ?

Redtape and probably because they don't have any actual intentions on releasing the assets. I'm sure some minor corrupt official is licking his chops waiting to collect.

Maneerat Nee, Henry's wife of five years who was 27 at the time of the killing, is accused of hiring a hit man so she could collect on his $1-million life-insurance policy.

Are there still guys dumb enough to buy life insurance policies on their own lives...it's just like signing your own death warrant :o

The first thing a wise old-timer told me when I first came to Thailand is to always make sure that if you get involved with Thais in any way (business, romance, whatever) to always be sure that you are more valuable to them alive than if you are dead. For if it is the other way around, it won't be long before you are in fact dead!

A decade later, I'm still kicking :D

It's such a simple rule...why do so many not heed it?

pardon my ignorance, but i thought one cannot collect insurance on "murder" cases? :o

it's not your ignorance, it's ignorance on the part of girls with gutter mentality that marry for money and decide in the great scheme of things this would be a great way to have their cake and eat it too...... as jonniebkk wrote, he paid for his own death sentence!

Edited by jayjayjayjay

Are there still guys dumb enough to buy life insurance policies on their own lives...it's just like signing your own death warrant :o

The first thing a wise old-timer told me when I first came to Thailand is to always make sure that if you get involved with Thais in any way (business, romance, whatever) to always be sure that you are more valuable to them alive than if you are dead. For if it is the other way around, it won't be long before you are in fact dead!

A decade later, I'm still kicking :D

It's such a simple rule...why do so many not heed it?

A few years ago I bought land and registered it in thai name with a mortgage and lease on it.Did it in the name of a thai friend I know for 12 years and trust about.I wanted to register the lease with the land office and and the mortgage just made up with the lawyer since you by law can not register both in the same name on the same property.However the thai lawyer told me to do it the opposite way,register mortgage and make up the lease with lawyer.Reason he said is if only the lease is registered you have a reason to die quickly.

pardon my ignorance, but i thought one cannot collect insurance on "murder" cases? :o

If murdered by beneficiary, obviously not. However, if murdered like say in the course of a burglary or robbery, then i do think benefificiary can collect. am I right ?

Its sad to see in this case but in Thailand it seems plenty of murderes seem to get bail and get away with murder too.

We all probably know of at least a few Thai ones but there are farang ones to - the English guy who stabbed his beer bar GF to death in Pattaya then held the cops off I heard was on bail and back in Blighty. The Irish guy high on drugs who killed the girl in Pattaya too.

Life just seems so cheap in Thailand and often for victims and their families no justice be they whatever nationality.

First of all, Thank you Mr.Komm for posting this very upsetting development.

We are horrified. I came to post and was glad to see it had been done.

Richard is in Thailand to see that justice is carried out. He has been there since May 5th. He had a court date to attend on May 8th.

Not a whisper was heard in regards to this very important appeal hearing that Richard would not have missed had he known. We were left to hear it from the grapvine and confirmed with foreign affairson Monday am.

Below is the last correspondence updating information (that I am aware of):

On February 3, 2008 at approximately 00:50am there was a violent incident in which 2 persons shot and killed Mr. Dale George with a gun, and then fled. Following this, police officers and investigators investigated and found that there were three persons involved in this case: 1. Mrs. Maneerat Henry, wife of the deceased, 2. Mr. Amornsak Keskaew and 3. Mr. Jinda Sae Tae. Investigators gathered evidence and issued arrest warrants for all three, and later placed all three in custody. Charges against Mrs. Maneerat Henry are "causing a person to kill another with intent and premeditation by contract" and have charged Mr. Amornsak and Mr. Jinda with "conspiring to kill another with intent and premeditation, jointly possessing a firearm or ammunition" The incident occured at house number 55/2 Moo 4, Bang Nong sub-district, Muang district, Ranong province on February 3, 2008 at approximately 00:50am. May we please inform you of the developments of the investigation by police investigators as follows:

-Investigators are currently collecting evidence. Petitioned the court to hold the three suspects in custody during this investigation. When the investigation is complete or if there are any further developments, investigators will inform accordingly. Respectfully, Pol. Lt. Col. Sombat Chumpol

Investigator (Sor Bor 2) Ranong City Police Notes: If you wish to advise us of any additional information which would be of use to the investigation or if you have any questions about the results of the investigation as noted above, please contact:

1. Pol. Lt. Col Sombat Chumpol, Investigator (Sor Bor 2), Ranong City Police (lead investigator) Tel: 08-1737-3655

2. Pol. Col. Visut Srikong, Superintendent, Ranong City Police, Tel: 08-1836-9814

Besides that, the only other important detail was a request by the police that they needed to obtain the insurance policy naming Maneerat Henry as beneficiary. That was facilitated by foreign affairs, as they said it was needed to prove motive. That was obtained in mid April sometime. This is all very shocking, but not a complete surprise. However, you would think that the person who allegedly plotted Dales murder who is now walking free, that someone would perhaps notify the family, especially when they are in the Country? I think the Embassy needs to take a stand in this and be more accountable?? BTW I am speaking for myself, not Richard. We were told the prelim was to be held in Ranong on May 28th. The consulate said the next court date was June 2nd?? Also not sure what day she was actually released? If any folks in Ranong know...please let me know. Also if you have anything to add to the case that may be important please contact the above. I am still also wondering why his murder was not reported to the Embassy for 72 hours? And when it finally did get reported it was by a Civillian/friend of Dale's?

Thanks for any help you may offer.

A very disheartened

Mary-Jane (sister)

Its sad to see in this case but in Thailand it seems plenty of murderes seem to get bail and get away with murder too.

We all probably know of at least a few Thai ones but there are farang ones to - the English guy who stabbed his beer bar GF to death in Pattaya then held the cops off I heard was on bail and back in Blighty. The Irish guy high on drugs who killed the girl in Pattaya too.

Life just seems so cheap in Thailand and often for victims and their families no justice be they whatever nationality.

I'd argue those two cases are the exception rather than the rule concerning farang getting any slack with the law. Not a good analogy perhaps, but to me it's rather like a foreign lightweight boxer coming to the kingdom hoping to beat the Thai boxer. Not a chance unless he knocks him absolutely spark out.

This is all very shocking, but not a complete surprise. However, you would think that the person who allegedly plotted Dales murder who is now walking free, that someone would perhaps notify the family, especially when they are in the Country? I think the Embassy needs to take a stand in this and be more accountable?? BTW I am speaking for myself, not Richard. We were told the prelim was to be held in Ranong on May 28th. The consulate said the next court date was June 2nd?? Also not sure what day she was actually released? If any folks in Ranong know...please let me know. Also if you have anything to add to the case that may be important please contact the above. I am still also wondering why his murder was not reported to the Embassy for 72 hours? And when it finally did get reported it was by a Civillian/friend of Dale's?

Thanks for any help you may offer.

A very disheartened

Mary-Jane (sister)[/font]

Hi Mary-Jane

This is why some of us were saying that doing the Canadian thing of walking softly and being nice and 'Canadian' wouldn't work here. It helps both the Thais and the Canadian authorities ignore the matter. It's still not too late to kick up a fuss, but of course the momentum has been lost - the headlines have moved on and there are new human tragedies to focus on. However, there is still a news story that can be leveraged by you for pressure on Canada to act - virtually none on Thailand - your proxy needs to be Canada's actions. Good luck.

why is that taking so long ?

The way this case is handled for all to see is simply sickening, shameless greed from morally and financially corrupt officials.

Shocking to read the wife of murdered Canadian Dale Henry is free on bail... :o

A 'mere' Baht 680.000 (or Can $ 21.000) is enough to have someone, who plotted to murder her husband, set free; unbelievable.

post-13995-1211916548_thumb.jpg * the wife and the two other murder suspects

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...t&p=1802632

LaoPo

I believe she got the money to get bail by selling some property she owned (husband paid for). 9 rai of land on Highway 4 Ranong which is now for sale at 11 million baht.

Richard had all assets frozen by a lawyer? Properties, SUV, Car, Harley Davidson? Who knows, corruption runs deep. It is just sickening.

Dale will haunt that family forever!! He would be so angry that the wonderful life he was so proud to provide was all for greed..not love!!

I heard that Nee's boyfriends family was living on some property he bought?

We are not going to give up...this will be taken much higher. Richard is working on that now.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Any suggestions are more than welcome.

Please consider the following,

1. It is not uncommon to have assets frozen subsequent to a crime, especially a domestic violence murder. The assets are usually not released until there is an ajudication as to whether or not there is guilt in respect to the implicated parties that may have a claim to assets. For example, let's say the assets were released and the accused was found not guilty. If the assets were discharged to someone who had then liquidated the assets, the "not guilty" party would suffer a loss. (This is not an opinion of whether or not the accused is guilty or not guilty, but a reflection of how the legal system works.)

2. Of course the granting of bail is upsetting, particularly if the allegations are true. However, they have not been proven to be true and as such the accused is still deemed to be innocent and eligible for bail, provided certain conditions can be met. The granting of bail to the accused is not unusual in western countries either. In the victim's home country of canada, there are people granted bail every day that have beaten others or engaged in just as despicable acts. Until the person is judged guilty by a court of law, or has been deemed a significant danger to society that person can get bail. The reality here is that even if the accused is guilty, the chances of her murdering anyone else in the period before her trial are negligible. The accused does meet the bail criteria. It may stink, but that's how the court system works.

3. There is not much the Canadian government can do. This was a domestic crime. The victim was not singled out because he was a Canadian. The Canadian government can no more put pressure on the Thai judiciary than a Thai politician can put pressure on the crown prosecutor's office in Calgary if a Thai citizen is brutally murdered by some psycho. The deceased chose to live his life in Thailand. Along with that decision comes the acceptance that when a horrible crime occurs, it will be a tough and long slog to get justice.

Under no circumstances is this a defense of the accused or even an attempt to make excuses. The crime was reprehensible and evil. Rather, it is an attempt to put events in perspective.

I am surprised to see that they need to prove motive, motive is not relevent in criminal law cases. What IS necessary is to satisfy the burden of proof and that the defendend did the physical act with the associated mental element.

Even the most altruistic motives do not negative criminal liability.

Unfortunately Mr Henry broke all the rules of how to live ones life in relative safety in Thailand.... 1...dont marry a Thai woman or any other woman who is young enough to be your daughter or even grand- daughter. 2....Always do background checks using her household certificate as a guide(i bet Dale Henry didnt). 3.Never live in isolated areas known for their troubles ie Ranong-seafood mafia who dont like farangs snooping around town regardless of who they are!4.Never ever,ever,ever,ever give aThai woman access to your money or assets.The Australian Gov actually warns men of marry Thais as so many farangs have been killed or ruined finnacially.....Young women dont love old men!!!They and their Thai men love the money!! Its so easy!

I am not offended by your comments, what you say is factual. Disgusting but true. Thanks for your insight GK.

Haltes, they had the proof...they held her for over 3 months. They received said documents and she was magically released.

Aussie, your right. Dale was 19 years her senior. He chose never to marry...until he spent 5 years livivg in Koh Samui and he met Nee. He was so blindsided. His last e-mails he wrote even referred to her as "My darling Nee" "How did I get so lucky" etc...so sad that his life had no value.

I have begun the journey to have this case become transparent in the Judiciary way. We shall see.

If any of his friends are willing please write your letters.

Much appreciated.

Unfortunately Mr Henry broke all the rules of how to live ones life in relative safety in Thailand.... 1...dont marry a Thai woman or any other woman who is young enough to be your daughter or even grand- daughter. 2....Always do background checks using her household certificate as a guide(i bet Dale Henry didnt). 3.Never live in isolated areas known for their troubles ie Ranong-seafood mafia who dont like farangs snooping around town regardless of who they are!4.Never ever,ever,ever,ever give aThai woman access to your money or assets.The Australian Gov actually warns men of marry Thais as so many farangs have been killed or ruined finnacially.....Young women dont love old men!!!They and their Thai men love the money!! Its so easy!

Great 1st post aussiepm, welcome you tw@t :o

Edited by kurgen

So she used proceeds from Dale's money to pay bail? :o

Disgusting.

There is hope though: I recall a case where a Thai man was shot at a restaurant at Thung Wua Laen, 400m from my place, probably in 2003.

The hit man, a cop, was arrested and lead to the sponsor, the mayor of Saplee I think. The commanditor (sp) altough a small political person got life sentence, I recall the trial was held in Bangkok, away from Chumpon province to avoid politcal manipulation of the trial.

I do hope the lady in question will rot in jail. (after she gets judged guilty that is)

Hi There, I am Dale's niece and Mary-Jane's Daughter.

As far as I know Nee(Dale's wife) has already confessed. Its sick Dale gave her more then she deserved then she had him killed cause it wasn't enough and it was probably his money that bailed her out :o I would hate to see her buy her way out of this with my uncle's money. I don't know anything about Thailand's justice system but I have heard that you can pay your way out of almost anything?

Readers may be more dissapointed to find out that the wife did not have to sell anything to produce the bail in cash form. Under Thai law, they can lodge title deeds to the value of the bail. So if it's true that she's living in her murdered husband's property, she may well have also used the deed for this to set herself free. In other words no real cost to her at all!

Kurgen, some, like you it seems, don't like to hear the truth (it always hurts). I'm sure aussiepm was talking in generalities, and if so , is, to a large degree, correct. Crystal, in answer to the question you posed, again the answere is generally yes, you can buy your way out (or into for that matter) of virtually anything here in Thailand. On the whole, justice has nothing to do with anything here.

Gosh, so sorry for this guy who had been blinded by love ... I really hope his family in Canada will move everything they can to get some sort of justice done ... but Thailand (and most thais) is really strugling now ... money will get you more than ever before, hence the 'easy' bail and what's next.

How can you kill someone to get his money, wasn't she getting anything (and more) anyway ... but perhaps she wanted even more and at a faster pace ... how sad ...

What a grim evaluation of the Thai race. :o