• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Twee Belgen - Lena

followed by Neneh Cherry's Buffalo Child

(:o Listening to the "1000 best tracks of the 80's" ...

... I never quite manage to leave it for more than about 5 or 6 songs before I have to intervene for fear of dying of Cringe-ness)

Currently Playing: If I had possession over Judgement Day (as performed by Clapton; His unplugged performance called Rolling and Tumbling is largely based on this song, which in turn was based upon...

The earliest recorded version is "Minglewood Blues" by Gus Cannon's Jug Stompers (Victor, 1928), credited to Noah Lewis who played harmonica in the band.[2] Hambone Willie Newbern recorded it as "Roll and Tumble Blues" (Okeh 8679, 1929). Other bluesmen recorded their own versions—such as "If I Had Possession Over Judgment Day" by Robert Johnson(1936)[3] and Rollin' Blues by John Lee Hooker. The best known version became Muddy Waters' "Rolling and Tumbling" (1950), with Big Crawford on bass, for the Chess brothers' Aristocrat Records label in 1950. Leonard Chess insisted that Waters record the song after Waters had recorded a version for the rival Parkway label, featuring his band mates Little Walter and Baby Face Leroy Foster.[4] On the earlier, 1950 rendition, the Parkway label credits the Baby Face Leroy Trio, with vocals by Leroy, and Muddy Waters as the songwriter. Elmore James recorded the song as "Rollin' and Tumblin'" in 1960 and has been also credited as author.

Since the 1960s the song has been played and recorded by hundreds of blues-rock bands, including Cream on their 1966 debut, Fresh Cream, Johnny Winter on his 1968 album The Progressive Blues Experiment, Canned Heat on their 1967 eponymous debut, Blues Creation on their debut album (1969), Eric Clapton for his 1992 Unplugged album and 2004's Me and Mr. Johnson, by Jeff Beck in 2000 on You Had It Coming, Gov't Mule on Life Before Insanity and recently by Bob Dylan for his 2006 album Modern Times. Dylan claims authorship of the song on most versions of his record. While musically the arrangement is very similar to the Muddy Waters version, Dylan's introduces all new verses, though retaining the two opening lines.

Delta bluesman Johnny Shines recorded a version called "Red Sun" (1975), with the traditional music but different, prison-themed lyrics.

Me and Mr. Johnson is a blues-rock album by Eric Clapton released in 2004. The album is a tribute to legendary bluesman Robert Johnson. According to Clapton's autobiography, the album wasn't intended as a tribute. The band had rented the studio, but Clapton didn't have any songs written, so he suggested they should record Robert Johnson' songs to kill time. By the time they realised, they had recorded enough songs for an album