Restaurants In Ban Chang / Rayong

PattayaParent

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/13/2020 at 6:11 AM, Jessi said:

Went to Romson restaurant on the beach  for lunch last Friday

no change, still over rated & over priced.

Could you recommend another seafood restaurant in BanChang with good quality and setting on the beach with lower prices?

51 minutes ago, banchang said:

I think the best beach seafood is the one behind/ next too phala temple. I think it’s called sugar palm but in Thai. 
always full of Thai families.  

We used to go there in the past so many times, and it used to be good. But in the past 2 years we went there 2 times and I don't know if we got unlucky but food was terrible.

It was a similar thing with the old Chai Talay next to the Milford, sometimes fantastic food and the next month, horrible. 

15 hours ago, roulax said:

Could you recommend another seafood restaurant in BanChang with good quality and setting on the beach with lower prices?

Maha Samut, the old Serene Pla, excellent quality and not expensive.

• Like 1

Hey all, seems we have a new BBQ Ribs house coming soon. On the corner opposite 24 cafe. Used to be the Corner Steak restaurant but closed for quite some time. I wish them luck and for those that enjoy ribs I hope it's good  as this will be a nice addition to the area. See photos20200313_132739.thumb.jpg.7fa576d9d3eeff46a82bc75e6efa417c.jpg20200313_132735.thumb.jpg.01c05e1ffea67fa077155986271cd3a5.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

We've rediscovered the art of pasta and pizza making and it's 10% of the restauranr prices plus 100% better, burgers as well and a few other good meals. We also know exactly what we put in them and can have as many beers as we want.

It will be a good while I reckon before we buy in ready made again. Only extreme emergency cases will cover delivery stuff.

• Thanks 1

I agree with the previous poster that we cook more and that the quality of the ingredients and finished product is better than restaurants in the Chang. Working from home helps you to develop new skills in the work place that you couldn't under normal circumstances ????. I'm not going to name and shame but some of the takeaways I've had from normally excellent restaurants haven't been the same as the 'eat in' version.

On 5/15/2020 at 3:24 PM, Big Guns said:

I agree with the previous poster that we cook more and that the quality of the ingredients and finished product is better than restaurants in the Chang. Working from home helps you to develop new skills in the work place that you couldn't under normal circumstances ????. I'm not going to name and shame but some of the takeaways I've had from normally excellent restaurants haven't been the same as the 'eat in' version.

Yep, as soon as you put a hot meal into a box it gets "steamed" with additional heat and moisture. Never been a fan of takeaways, tbh.

Looking forward to getting out of the house a bit more though. The local economy certainly needs it, I bet.

Ate at Phala Rib House tonight, ribs are the large ones, got the medium rack (5 ribs) and 2 sides 290 bht. Good stuff, plenty of food. I got it for take away but the place looks real nice inside.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2020 at 6:03 PM, EVENKEEL said:

Ate at Phala Rib House tonight, ribs are the large ones, got the medium rack (5 ribs) and 2 sides 290 bht. Good stuff, plenty of food. I got it for take away but the place looks real nice inside.

Thought so too. The smoked pork ribs (large for me, medium for her) were plentiful and very nice indeed. Must go back and try other items on the menu.

Service was prompt and very friendly also. We will be back soon. ????

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Boardwalk re-opened as the Crab House.

Busy last night, food good and prices not that high.

One big sealed off and air-con room for Karaoke ( if you like that ) or private parties I suppose.

No menu in english yet.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Went out for a beer yesterday, was going stir crazy, beach side place, no names no packdrill.

Busy, quite a few BKK plates in the carpark.

Apart from the staff I could count the masks and examples of SD on one hand. A big % sharing food and no serving spoons in evidence, all using their own spoon, centre dish to mouth etc.

7 hours ago, overherebc said:

Went out for a beer yesterday, was going stir crazy, beach side place, no names no packdrill.

Busy, quite a few BKK plates in the carpark.

Apart from the staff I could count the masks and examples of SD on one hand. A big % sharing food and no serving spoons in evidence, all using their own spoon, centre dish to mouth etc.

Any of the bars on "bar street" opened yet....busy or?

^Most of the "top end" (geographical, not cultural????) bars on the Strip are now open. I similarly reconnoitered the environs last night. Not much in the way of pulchritude, unfortunately, but the banter and cold beer made up for it. Go and have a beer, before these places disappear forever.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, huangnon said:

^Most of the "top end" (geographical, not cultural????) bars on the Strip are now open. I similarly reconnoitered the environs last night. Not much in the way of pulchritude, unfortunately, but the banter and cold beer made up for it. Go and have a beer, before these places disappear forever.

Having a beer there with the mental image of the strip soon in it's death throes isn't a nice image. ????

out of curiosity how did the strip become so ? I know a fair few guys used to come down to play ‘golf’ back in the day and then there was quite a few ex pat oil guys in the area . I have not been up there for a few years who was the clientele pre corona ? 

1 hour ago, chrisandsu said:

out of curiosity how did the strip become so ? I know a fair few guys used to come down to play ‘golf’ back in the day and then there was quite a few ex pat oil guys in the area . I have not been up there for a few years who was the clientele pre corona ? 

The whole thing kicked off when Mr Coulson opened the first bar,  last building on the row at the Chang Hotel end. Next one was Don McAllister I think, where the new shop is. It just started expanding from there and at that time the majority of 'expat bars' were scattered around Ban Chang.

Prior to the strip the most popular bar was the Oasis on the road from Maptaphut, the road nearest the beach, and when things starting going down with fewer expats working in Maptaphut a lot of the staff from the Oasis moved to the Camel etc.

The strip did have one or two Thai only bars but they didn't last long..

Basically the strip started 97/99 slowly built up and for the past few years has been slowly dying, but who knows the future nowadays.

Early days a lot of guys worked in Maptaphut and they were the main customers. Then the golfers from Pattaya for a couple of years.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, longball53098 said:

I am hearing good things about the newly opened Ciao Bella on the Phala road. ANyone else? Aso the Phala Rib House.

Went to the new premises of Ciao Bella last night. Was quite impressed, spacious seating inside and out. Great food, atmosphere, and friendly service. We will be back.