Restaurants In Ban Chang / Rayong

PattayaParent

On 7/10/2020 at 11:41 PM, overherebc said:

The whole thing kicked off when Mr Coulson opened the first bar,  last building on the row at the Chang Hotel end. Next one was Don McAllister I think, where the new shop is. It just started expanding from there and at that time the majority of 'expat bars' were scattered around Ban Chang.

Prior to the strip the most popular bar was the Oasis on the road from Maptaphut, the road nearest the beach, and when things starting going down with fewer expats working in Maptaphut a lot of the staff from the Oasis moved to the Camel etc.

The strip did have one or two Thai only bars but they didn't last long..

Basically the strip started 97/99 slowly built up and for the past few years has been slowly dying, but who knows the future nowadays.

Early days a lot of guys worked in Maptaphut and they were the main customers. Then the golfers from Pattaya for a couple of years.

Sorry didn’t see this reply . Thanks for the explanation , first time I came down to bc was around 2004 and it was heaving . Does seem to be less and less expats every time I come back . 

10 minutes ago, chrisandsu said:

Sorry didn’t see this reply . Thanks for the explanation , first time I came down to bc was around 2004 and it was heaving . Does seem to be less and less expats every time I come back . 

Don't quote me on the actual years, I could be a bit out on some dates but the 'gist' is near enough I think.

????????

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Phala Pier getting back to business again after refurb'. At the moment no real 'big food' menu.

For a couple of weeks or so will be finger food and beer etc, coffee for the driver.

January should see a gradual return to a fuller menu.

Nice to sit for a cold beer and chill for a while at the moment.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, overherebc said:

Phala Pier getting back to business again after refurb'. At the moment no real 'big food' menu.

For a couple of weeks or so will be finger food and beer etc, coffee for the driver.

January should see a gradual return to a fuller menu.

Nice to sit for a cold beer and chill for a while at the moment.

Should add that I don't the tel' number, it might be on facebook??, worth calling before going just to make sure open/closed and, as I said, what's the 'finger food' of the day.

• 1 year later...

Great new grilled chicken place just opened on Phala Road (Yellow sign on the right immediately before Phalagoon Resort if coming from Ban Chang). Eat in or take away. Also does sticky rice, Somtam and other Isaan dishes. Can recommend.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/15/2020 at 11:35 AM, chrisandsu said:

As it was 2009.

Only 3 or 4 bars left now it seems.

1646792336830.jpg

On 3/9/2022 at 9:21 AM, overherebc said:

As it was 2009.

Only 3 or 4 bars left now it seems.

1646792336830.jpg

IMHO the "Bar Strip" is effectively gone and being replaced with Thai businesses. Sure there are a few bars remaining but slowly they are dying. The oil and gas folks are all gone for the most part and the tourist golfers are gone and Covid killed the rest of the business.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2022 at 10:33 AM, longball53098 said:

IMHO the "Bar Strip" is effectively gone and being replaced with Thai businesses. Sure there are a few bars remaining but slowly they are dying. The oil and gas folks are all gone for the most part and the tourist golfers are gone and Covid killed the rest of the business.

It's been dying a slow death for a good few years. As you say Covid  was the final nail in the coffin.

Edited by overherebc

• 3 months later...

I found a restaurant on sukumvit on the left just past mega home going towards Ban chang, set inside at the rear of the large 'garden centre' where they sell water features and statutes, good food good prices, quite big with air con - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@12.7160805,101.0373344,3a,86.9y,283.51h,91.82t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sRQxErEUPHEpeAKGknMjz1w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• 3 months later...
19 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

We moved to Ban Chang 6 months ago, and try to eat out at least once a week.  So far, these are the restaurants we have been regularly going back to:

Piper Tree

Ciao Bella

Long Time

Finnegans

I think we need to venture nearer the beach!

not sure where piper tree and long time are, ( i see piper tree and long time are on the bypass road, but there is '24' and phala rib hous opposite each other on Tesco road, phala closer to the beach

9 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

We moved to Ban Chang 6 months ago, and try to eat out at least once a week.  So far, these are the restaurants we have been regularly going back to:

Piper Tree

Ciao Bella

Long Time

Finnegans

Try the Crab House in Phala. Nice on the beach vibe. 

Edited by EVENKEEL
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, steve187 said:

not sure where piper tree and long time are, ( i see piper tree and long time are on the bypass road, but there is '24' and phala rib hous opposite each other on Tesco road, phala closer to the beach

And Micasa just along a bit inside the soi on where Rib house is.

15 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Piper Tree

Ciao Bella

Long Time

Finnegans

Excellent restaurants inside Grand Garden Hotel and the new Kantary hotel. 

• Like 1

On 9/25/2022 at 7:05 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

Piper Tree

Ciao Bella

Long Time

Finnegans

Purple Parrot does excellent UK style grub

Rib House very good.

• Like 2

On 9/25/2022 at 7:35 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

Piper Tree

Ciao Bella

Long Time

Finnegans

Another good one if you have not tried it yet is Zum Adler, just down Payoon road opposite the entrance to Eastern Star.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone eaten at the Kantary in Banchang? 

Just had a flyer in the letterbox (well, it's nice to get anything in the letterbox these days) - Special Valentine's Day set menu dinner at their rooftop restaurant.

Several courses, not including booze except for "Sparkling Wine". I guess a commanding view of the Banchang Hospital, and romantic background noise from the traffic on Sukhumvit.

At 1200Baht per head plus (in the small print) 10% service charge plus VAT I'm not especially tempted.