Rorts

Tjilpi

WARNING TO HONDA OWNERS.

I recently had my Jazz serviced at Honda, Hang Don Road, Chiang Mai.

The very basic 30,000km service lasted exactly 30 minutes, then there was a 10 minute test drive.

I know bvecause I actually stayed at the shop and watched my Honda from the moment I delivered it for its service.

Surprise! The bill was for 1.3 hours labour, exactly twice as much as the actual labour given to my Honda.

Talks with Honda Airport and correspondence to Honda Customer Relations have been fruitless.

If this place services 30 cars a day (which is reasonable), I estimate it earns approximately 84,000 baht per week for absolutely nothing. Money for nothing.

Suggestion:

1 avoid Honda Airport, Chiang Mai.

2 don't sign the job sheet, which has a built in labour charge, until AFTER the service.

I would like to point out that I used to work in a small shop back in the States. And there are books, especially for dealerships, that list how many man hours each job should take. Now, if you're good, you can get the job done in a length of time less than that listed rate. However, to keep everything consistent, you charge the rate. I'm sure that the dealership could have produced the book for you if you asked them,.

Is the standard set rate not a good idea? Look at the other side..... If you are paying by time what is to stop them taking 3 hours on a normally 30 minute service to bump up the cost.

I'm for a fixed rate. Before I take anything for a service (bike or car) I always check the rates to make sure im happyu rather than leaving it until the bill comes and complaining.

And I also agree with dave boo, if the mechanic was good at his job it didnt take him as long as expected, but if he was bad and it took longer than the set rate then you would of saved money.

Great complaint, now all the Honda dealers are going to be sure to make people wait a long time for service so they will think they are getting their money's worth (even though they agreed to a price in writing before the service).

I have only ever gotten Honda motorcycle work done here, at dealerships. It ran about 200 baht per hour, I do not recall now. In the USA, I was used to being charged over 60 dollars per hour at dealerships. The rate in car shops was much higher. Here is an old receipt for oil change, washing the bike, replacing three bulbs, mounting a new tire. Service charge total, 220 baht. Peanuts.

I have only ever gotten Honda motorcycle work done here, at dealerships. It ran about 200 baht per hour, I do not recall now. In the USA, I was used to being charged over 60 dollars per hour at dealerships. The rate in car shops was much higher. Here is an old receipt for oil change, washing the bike, replacing three bulbs, mounting a new tire. Service charge total, 220 baht. Peanuts.
I agree,i find servicing very inexpensive here and i cant wait to have mine done !, makes me realise how lucky i am being here,.my last car a vw was 55 pounds an hour in the uk and i was served by fat women or men with an attitude ! :o

Just a thought, but did you see them working on your car, ? , maybe that time is for one mechanic and two worked on it ?

Yes, I was able to see the work being done.

One man, 30 minutes + 10 minute drive. 80 minutes labour charge =420 baht for inc tax. 100% profit for Hoinda Airport.

Is the standard set rate not a good idea? Look at the other side..... If you are paying by time what is to stop them taking 3 hours on a normally 30 minute service to bump up the cost.

I'm for a fixed rate. Before I take anything for a service (bike or car) I always check the rates to make sure im happyu rather than leaving it until the bill comes and complaining.

And I also agree with dave boo, if the mechanic was good at his job it didnt take him as long as expected, but if he was bad and it took longer than the set rate then you would of saved money.

Maybe. But Honda should make their standard labour time REALISTIC.

They know they are making a killing.

I would like to point out that I used to work in a small shop back in the States. And there are books, especially for dealerships, that list how many man hours each job should take. Now, if you're good, you can get the job done in a length of time less than that listed rate. However, to keep everything consistent, you charge the rate. I'm sure that the dealership could have produced the book for you if you asked them,.

Sure Dave, but I claim the set rates are UNREALISTIC AND DISHONEST.

Honda are laughing all the way to the bank.

Most customers can't afford the time to actually watch the service on their cars, so don't know how much/little labour actuaslly goes into the job.

Honda know this.

amazing.. ! i would have appreciated the quick service of 40 minutes here in thailand. would be a different story if i lived in america though.

Tigerbeer,

And you appreciate paying 100% more than you should for service?

let's face it; it's a rort. Honda knows it, we know it, so why accept it?

Great complaint, now all the Honda dealers are going to be sure to make people wait a long time for service so they will think they are getting their money's worth (even though they agreed to a price in writing before the service).

And as long as people continue to accept being ripped off nothing will change.

But this is THAILAND.

Honda are over-charging for their labour. Full stop.

100% overcharge is not acceptable (to most people).

I agree,i find servicing very inexpensive here and i cant wait to have mine done !, makes me realise how lucky i am being here,.my last car a vw was 55 pounds an hour in the uk and i was served by fat women or men with an attitude ! :o

But this is THAILAND ! And you can't wait to be overcharged?

amazing.. ! i would have appreciated the quick service of 40 minutes here in thailand. would be a different story if i lived in america though.

Tigerbeer,

And you appreciate paying 100% more than you should for service?

let's face it; it's a rort. Honda knows it, we know it, so why accept it?

cause i bet you could not do anything about it. prove me wrong.

i do however have my honda civic receipt right here in front of me as i type this. this service was done on friday 13th.

work done:

air filter change, oil change, oil filter change, spark plug change, air cond filter change plus check on the brakes pads of which they told me was time to be changed, check on all fluids, tyres etc etc. time quoted 1.6 hours at 330 baht an hour. total labour charge : 528 Baht. - of which i just happen to think is worth the money. not to mention, the car was washed and vacuumed clean when given back to me.

compare this charges to wherever you come from and tell me that its not worth it.

cool down buddy. stress only makes you get old fast!

TB..

I paid big bucks for my late-model British English Duke-of-Edinburgh-approved dictionary, and it lists neither rort nor napery. I was gypped. I should go get my money back from D-K book store.

Fine, boycott all the dealers. See what Somchaipasakornapat does to your new Honda. Good luck. I got good warranty service from Chevrolet, Dodge, Ford dealers, plus rotmotosai dealers.

:o

Isn't "gypped" from Gypsies, who are widely mistrusted ?

I googled :

Rort” is a word with a number of meanings...

The source of all these different meanings of “rort” is not at all clear...

The earliest recorded meaning (from 1919) is to engage in a sharp practice – or to pull a con trick of some sort – that’s a “rort”. But in politics it is ballot rigging (or perhaps branch stacking) that is most often called a “rort”; while in the world of employment, finding a job with good pay and not much work is finding yourself a good “rort”. Quite unrelated seems to be sense of a wild party, or going on the town – that too can be called a “rort.” The source of all these different meanings of “rort” is not at all clear, but it’s possible that they all come from a 19th century London slang word “rorty” – meaning “fine; splendid; jolly; or boisterous”… a word that quickly adapted to the antipodean climate, and then changed out of all recognition.

abc radio

I have been going to Honda on Hang Dong Road for 9 years now and if there was any one place I would recommend in Chiang Mai this would be it.

I have never had a single problem with the dealership and have never found any of their fees to be excessive. I always deal with Pawana which may be one reason for the excellent service I have received. There has even been times when I have requested some minor service that they performed at no charge to me.

Before any work is performed, I do ask what the cost will be and exactly what they will be doing. In any case, my experience has always been positive and I would recommend this dealer and often have.