Engineering Jobs

I've moved to Bangkok from England with my girlfriend and am trying desparetely to find a job in mechanical design engineering, preferably automotive. I've tried all the job websites I can find (bangkok post, jobs db, nation jobs) and sent quite a few applications out but not received a single reply! I'm well qualified with 5 years experience in mechanical design engineering, but I seem to be banging my head against a wall out here! Is it because most companies don't want to hire farangs...surely there are some that will?

Has anyone had any success in the same field? Anyone want to give me a job!?

I would consider simply getting work experience with a company for no money if it came to it, since we can afford to live out here on just my girlfriend's salary (teacher).

Al

I would consider simply getting work experience with a company for no money if it came to it

The problem is, your employers would have to meet the requirements for employing a foreigner regardless of wether you are paid or not. You would also need to get a work permit.

My best advice is look at Singapore where the employment rules are more aligned with getting the right person for the job.

If you do manage to find a job locally you will be offered a local salary meaning about Bt60k-80k per month and not an expats salary even if you were to be hired by a US/European employer where thai language skills may not be required. Check the UK and US Chamber of Commerce people in BKK. They usually have listings of UK/US companies doing business in Thailand and usually don't mind if you come in off the street to check their listings.

Good luck from another mechanical engineer (power generation) that tried and gave up...