Applying For Stay Based On Marriage

Thanks to the advice I received on here I have been able to complete the registration of my marriage. I would now like to ask for advice on whether I should apply for an extension of my stay based on this marriage or if I should wait till December when my current visa based on a work permit runs out. I do not know as yet if this work permit will be renewed or not. If I should apply now is it advisable to apply in Bangkok or can I apply here in Pattaya?

Would be very helpful to apply when you have employment so I would do so now if you can meet the requirements. Your extension is based on support of your Thai wife; not on marriage, so money/employment (or at least expectations of) is vital.

In my experience, and admittedly some time ago, there are two types of "married" visas.

One is a multi-entry one year validity visa based on marriage to a Thai obtained from an overseas (outside Thailand) Thai embassy or consulate with only your Thai marriage certificate as proof. This visa requires that you leave the country every 90 days during the one year (or 15 months if you plan it correctly).

The other is a one year married visa obtained at Thai immigration inside Thailand and requires, amongst other things, the marriage certificate and proof of Bht 400,000 in a Thai bank. For this, one only needs to "check-in" every 90 days, not leave the country.

Or does anyone know better?

:o

In my experience, and admittedly some time ago, there are two types of "married" visas.

One is a multi-entry one year validity visa based on marriage to a Thai obtained from an overseas (outside Thailand) Thai embassy or consulate with only your Thai marriage certificate as proof. This visa requires that you leave the country every 90 days during the one year (or 15 months if you plan it correctly).

The other is a one year married visa obtained at Thai immigration inside Thailand and requires, amongst other things, the marriage certificate and proof of Bht 400,000 in a Thai bank. For this, one only needs to "check-in" every 90 days, not leave the country.

Or does anyone know better?

:o

There is a single or multi entry for family visitation non immigrant O visa available at Consulates that allows up to 90 days per visit and requires marriage certificate and often copy of ID card of the wife. This type of visa in multi version is not automatic and can be difficult to obtain at many Consulates.

The extension of stay issued by immigration starts with one of the above visas but by proving support for your Thai wife you can extend your stay in periods of one year at a time.

The 90 day address report is what requires reporting every 90 days and can be done by mail.

You are always free to leave the country but you first must obtain a re-entry permit to keep the year extension of stay in force.

Correct and accurate as always, Loburi.

I obtained my multi from Singapore Thai embassy in October 2001 but as you say, the times they are a changing.

I am now holding a retirement visa so the married visa is no longer requied by me.

Good for you Jaye. That multi O would be very difficult to obtain in Singapore these days.

I would take two copies of all documents including wife's ID and tabien baan, your wedding certificate, your passport (photo and current visa pages) any bank books (all pages) and both you and your wife must date and sign all copies of everything. You must also take the originals of all the documents (they will be returned to you there and then) and you must also take your wife ! (no copy needed)

Lung Bing

I would take two copies of all documents  including wife's ID and tabien baan, your wedding certificate, your passport (photo and current visa pages)  any bank books (all pages) and both you and your wife must date and sign all copies of everything.  You must also take the originals of all the documents (they will be returned to you there and then)  and you must also take your wife ! (no copy needed)

Lung Bing

And a current letter from the bank evidencing the funds. Not more than 7 days old.

Thank you all for your advice, in addition to everything you mentioned they also wanted to see photos of the wedding,good job we took some, and were not happy with the letter from the bank even though I have had over 400,000 in that account for a long time. We were also interviewed and though everyone was polite I found some of the questions put to my wife ie why have you married a man without first finding out how much money or land he has in England a little off. I was left with the impression my application would not be accepted despite satisfying all the requirements posted in black and white outside the Immigration office.

Thank you all for your advice, in addition to everything you mentioned they also wanted to see photos of the wedding,good job we took some, and were not happy with the letter from the bank even though I have had over 400,000 in that account for a long time. We were also interviewed and though everyone was polite I found some of the questions put to my wife ie why have you married a man without first finding out how much money or land he has in England a little off. I was left with the impression my application would not be accepted despite satisfying all the requirements posted in black and white outside the Immigration office.

Photos of some sort are almost always required - usually they prefer some taken in your home rather than marriage as this helps prove the living together requirement - at least for us long time married folks.

There is a long form that immigration must fill in during the interview so normally they will ask wife all kinds of questions while getting answers for that. I would not be put off about chance of approval and remember this long interview should be much shorter in following years.

• 1 month later...

Am I correct in thinking that what I need for the extension based on marriage is:-

Passport

Work Permit

Passport Photos

Wedding photos

Bank Books

Letter from the bank

Tabien Baaan

Wife's ID

Wife!

Childrens' Birth Certificates.

Work Contract???????

And 2 copies of each and every page.

Have I missed anything?

Am I correct in thinking that what I need for the extension based on marriage is:-

Passport

Work Permit

Passport Photos

Wedding photos

Bank Books

Letter from the bank

Tabien Baaan

Wife's ID

Wife!

Work Contract???????

Have I missed anything?

If in Bangkok only one copy is needed. I would take some photos together at home if you have them. Not sure if work contract is needed but might help fulfill income questions. And make that a happy wife. :o

Passport

Work Permit

Passport Photos

Wedding photos

Bank Books

Letter from the bank

Tabien Baaan

Wife's ID

Wife!

Work Contract???????

Have I missed anything?

If in Bangkok only one copy is needed. I would take some photos together at home if you have them. Not sure if work contract is needed but might help fulfill income questions. And make that a happy wife. :D

And don't try and photocopy the happy wife :D or maybe you have two 'mia nois' you could take along also :o

Passport

Work Permit

Passport Photos

Wedding photos

Bank Books

Letter from the bank

Tabien Baaan

Wife's ID

Wife!

Work Contract???????

Have I missed anything?

--------------------

เข้าเมืองตาหลิ่วให้หลิ่วตาตาม

I knew I forgot something -my marriage certificate + copies.

You know, I keep reading all this stuff and I guess I'm just lazy plus maybe a little stupid. Sometimes as I'm reading on TV about how to accomplish the "married, Thai wife extension", I think.....seems simple enough but then I keep reading, every day on TV about this requirement and that and...at least for now I remain convinced that I will continue to use the local Thai law firm that I used when I was working as an expat. Cost, 20,000 Baht. Expensive, yes, but I don't have any worry's about what is needed or expected and I make one trip to Bangkok immigration in a year and they "take care of the rest". Really simple in that respect. Wedding photos, don't know, never needed. There is no doubt in my mind that you can do this whithout any "paid" assistance, but the more I keep reading, everyday, about this problem and that problem, I'm remain unconvinced not to continue using the "law firm assistance" despite the somewhat high cost.

You know, I keep reading all this stuff and I guess I'm just lazy plus maybe a little stupid.  Sometimes as I'm reading on TV about how to accomplish the "married, Thai wife extension", I think.....seems simple enough but then I keep reading, every day on TV about this requirement and that and...at least for now I remain convinced that I will continue to use the local Thai law firm that I used when I was working as an expat.  Cost, 20,000 Baht.  Expensive, yes, but I don't have any worry's about what is needed or expected and I make one trip to Bangkok immigration in a year and they "take care of the rest".  Really simple in that respect.  Wedding photos, don't know, never needed.  There is no doubt in my mind that you can do this whithout any "paid" assistance, but the more I keep reading, everyday, about this problem and that problem, I'm remain unconvinced not to continue using the "law firm assistance" despite the somewhat high cost.

There is no reason to use a law firm for normal folks. Marriage or home photos are only required at first application to forgo a visit to confirm you are living together. Shopping list is not that long and you do one time a year.

Remember this is a forum for answers to troubles so you do see a lot of questions - but probably 99% have no problems so you do not see them posting here.

You know, I keep reading all this stuff and I guess I'm just lazy plus maybe a little stupid.  Sometimes as I'm reading on TV about how to accomplish the "married, Thai wife extension", I think.....seems simple enough but then I keep reading, every day on TV about this requirement and that and...at least for now I remain convinced that I will continue to use the local Thai law firm that I used when I was working as an expat.  Cost, 20,000 Baht.  Expensive, yes, but I don't have any worry's about what is needed or expected and I make one trip to Bangkok immigration in a year and they "take care of the rest".  Really simple in that respect.  Wedding photos, don't know, never needed.  There is no doubt in my mind that you can do this whithout any "paid" assistance, but the more I keep reading, everyday, about this problem and that problem, I'm remain unconvinced not to continue using the "law firm assistance" despite the somewhat high cost.

There is no reason to use a law firm for normal folks. Marriage or home photos are only required at first application to forgo a visit to confirm you are living together. Shopping list is not that long and you do one time a year.

Remember this is a forum for answers to troubles so you do see a lot of questions - but probably 99% have no problems so you do not see them posting here.

Yes "lop", you're right, of course. Admittedly I would like to try and save the 20,000 and do it myself and one of these "years" I'll try it. In the past, I haven't made any effort to understand the exact process, especially, the time at immigration because it was all done for me. (ie, what window, what first, what next, whatever). Perhaps on my next renewal I will make that extra effort to follow the process all the way thru so I can really understand what is being done for me.

Happy New Year.