Taxi Service, Pattaya To Sri Racha And Wait ...

Jingthing

I might need this service multiple times. Thus, I am checking to see whether people think this is a fair price for this taxi service?

Pattaya to Sri Racha (near Robinsons)

Wait as long as 2 hours

Drive back to Pattaya

Price quote 1000 baht

I suspect the Thai price would be more like 500 baht but I haven't had any success at passing as Thai.

So, should I bother shopping around/bargaining hard, or is 1000 baht a going rate for such a service?

I might need this service multiple times. Thus, I am checking to see whether people think this is a fair price for this taxi service?

Pattaya to Sri Racha (near Robinsons)

Wait as long as 2 hours

Drive back to Pattaya

Price quote 1000 baht

I suspect the Thai price would be more like 500 baht but I haven't had any success at passing as Thai.

So, should I bother shopping around/bargaining hard, or is 1000 baht a going rate for such a service?

Why don't ask your friends the taximeters and ask them to switch on the meter.

I think Sri Racha is only 20 minutes or so drive away. There is no comparison to Bangkok here. Everything is a mafia here. BTW, I know I can get to Sri Racha by bus on Sukhumwit or shuttle from Naklua; I just don't want to deal with that.

average bangkok taxi drivers salary about 1000 per day . calculate.

How could I calculate? I don't know what the cost of the car is, leased or owned. The driver I talked to is one of those Tesco Lotus truck mafia guys, not a baht bus or taxi. Its a nice truck. I won't give the so called Pattaya taxi meters one baht unless they start using the meters in town (so maybe never). I urge everyone to BOYCOTT the Pattaya taxi meters for both in town and out of town rides. At least the shopping center truck guys don't misrepresent themselves as having meters. 1000 B doesn't sound such a great deal when you consider you can get a ride to Bangkok for 800 - 1000 baht which can take 3 hours and alot of fuel. Sri Racha takes very little fuel, but as a farangutan I doubt I will do much better.

Edited by Jingthing

I think Sri Racha is only 20 minutes or so drive away. There is no comparison to Bangkok here. Everything is a mafia here. BTW, I know I can get to Sri Racha by bus on Sukhumwit or shuttle from Naklua; I just don't want to deal with that.
average bangkok taxi drivers salary about 1000 per day . calculate.

How could I calculate? I don't know what the cost of the car is, leased or owned. The driver I talked to is one of those Tesco Lotus truck mafia guys, not a baht bus or taxi. Its a nice truck. I won't give the so called Pattaya taxi meters one baht unless they start using the meters in town (so maybe never). I urge everyone to BOYCOTT the Pattaya taxi meters for both in town and out of town rides. At least the shopping center truck guys don't misrepresent themselves as having meters. 1000 B doesn't sound such a great deal when you consider you can get a ride to Bangkok for 800 - 1000 baht which can take 3 hours and alot of fuel. Sri Racha takes very little fuel, but as a farangutan I doubt I will do much better.

Jing,

You could do the planet a favour and take the bus. Prolly no need to wait longer than 5 minutes on Sukhumvit each direction. 30 baht or maybe 40.

I am happy to take the bus knowing I can get 400 mpg (Pmpg) (passenger miles per gallon)

TIT, up to you. But I would guess you are probably off to one or other hospital, so only you know what you need.

(don't catch a public song taew, you would need to change at least once, probably a couple of times)

As you say, there is no meter, so the price is negotiable. Have you tried to negotiate? Why don’t you take the bus the first time and see how long that takes. Then you can include your time in the calculation of how much it is worth to you to be driven directly there and back.

TH

My guess is you want to go to the Phiyathai hospital (my preferred hospital).

Depending on traffic driving along Sukhumvit can be anywhere between 30 minutes to one hour, with all the traffic lights on the way.

1000 Baht seams reasonable considering the waiting time in Sri Racha.

Other alternative would be taxi to Phiyathai your first time and come back by bus or local taxi, should be cheaper.

cheers

onzestan

A couple of years ago I had to go to Laem Chabang and return. I used Mr T (in soi Diana) and they charged me 700 baht. Mind you prices may have gone up now because of the increase in petrol prices. I've always found Mr T to be honest and reliable.

Catching the bus from Pattaya to Sriracha (Robinsons) would cost 40 baht one way. A reasonable price for a Taxi is 600 baht one way and 1000baht return. Its about 35-45 mins depending on the traffic.

There would not be much difference for a Thai because its unlikely they would use this type of service (bus, friends or own car) but they would pay the same price.

Where is the bus station on the Shukumvit to Sri Racha and Laem Chabang?

I think you just ask the bus at the stop if they are going there. Not aware of a station for this short trip. Good question though.

Northern Bus station.

Buy ticket to Sri Racha on the Bangkok bus. Get out at Robinsons.

cheers

onzestan

I have used baht buses to the nearest golf courses, about 30-40 min drive from Pattaya. They usually charge me a total of 500Baht to take me there and then come back and pick me up 5 hours later for the return trip to Pattaya.

They have always been on time for the return, occasionally they have sent another baht bus to pick me up if the original bus could not make the return.

I have used baht buses to the nearest golf courses, about 30-40 min drive from Pattaya. They usually charge me a total of 500Baht to take me there and then come back and pick me up 5 hours later for the return trip to Pattaya.

They have always been on time for the return, occasionally they have sent another baht bus to pick me up if the original bus could not make the return.

The baht buses that run along the Pattaya - Sri Racha route (Sukhumvit) are cheaper than the in-town ones - mile-for-mile - but it depends on the degree of comfort you want, and the reasons for the trip.

Small shopping, I'd catch the bus from the junction of Pattaya Tai and Sukhumvit, get off at Makro or Robinsons, major shopping or hospital visit - take a car.

• 2 years later...

Hi,

And do you know where to catch bus or any other transportation from Pattaya so Siracha ?

How to know which bus passing on Sukhumvit is going to Siracha ? Just ask all buses passing by ?

Thanks a lot.

Just wait at one of the many bus stops along Sukhumvit going in the northernly direction.

The blue buses with Bangkok or Chonburi destinations labeled 'Jomtien - Bangkok', 'Pattaya - Bangkok', 'Sattahip - Bangkok', 'Rayong - Bangkok', 'Chanthaburi - Bangkok', etc... will drop you off at Robinsons in Sri Racha.

Just be careful of the ones with Sri Racha destinations. They will stop in Au Udom which is several Kilometers short of Robinsons.

There are also many Baht buses that run along Sukhumvit that go there as well, just flag them down and ask. I believe the white ones make the 'Sattahip - Sri Racha' run.

If you really want to feel adventurous take the train. There are train stations in Sri Racha close to Robinsons (use a Tuk Tuk for transportaion to/from the train station) and in Pattaya (near Soi Nueamphewan). I'm not sure what the train schedule is.

Edited by BB1950

A couple of years ago I had to go to Laem Chabang and return. I used Mr T (in soi Diana) and they charged me 700 baht. Mind you prices may have gone up now because of the increase in petrol prices. I've always found Mr T to be honest and reliable.

+1 vote for Mr T. Honest and reliable and fair prices. I have his phone number somewhere, PM me if you want it.

I am sure that Jingthing will be delighted see his three year old thread still has some life left in it and is providing new information. :rolleyes:

Maybe now he'll tell us how he solved his problem then!!

but it was actually resurrected by frenchfarangjomtien asking how to do the same trip so at least it shows he used the search engine before asking the same question.

Mr Rimmer, I have just spent an hour transposing many posts from this topic to a word doc and you tell me it's 3 years old. OMG I'm a dunce.

[Though I expect prices would be no more double by now].

Prices are the same. No more than 700 baht by car including the waiting time. 40 baht by bus. You can usually jump on the bus waiting at Pattaya Klang and Sukhumvit.

Mr Rimmer, I have just spent an hour transposing many posts from this topic to a word doc and you tell me it's 3 years old. OMG I'm a dunce.

[Though I expect prices would be no more double by now].

Its OK you are not the first or last person not to notice dates, I do it all the time sssssshhh :D