Potjaman Shinawatra Found Guilty Of Tax Evasion

sriracha john

A courageous and excellent start to begin the long road to seeking justice in the Kingdom of Thailand.

:o

I wonder if this got anything to do with justice?Maybe this is rather a revenge act.Nobody will have the guts to investigate infraudation of tax by other political and or army familys.

How can you say such a thing! With this important precedent, the courts will be bringing to trial scores of Generals and corruption will cease to exist in Thailand. Just kidding!

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I don’t understand though, is if she has already been sentenced then how can she be out on bail? does bail not usually only happen before Sentencing? I guess things work different here! It will also be interesting to see how the UK will react if she does do a runner and wants to return there cos now she is a convicted criminal! I think? or not?

Edited by monkfish

So essentially, they did a bunch of ridiculous things with a large amount of money. None of which are in and of themselves black and white illegal. But, since there is no plausible reason to do all that stuff unless you are pulling a scam, they must have been pulling scam. Probably tax evasion.

More or less works for me :o

Does anybody understand how the law was broken?

What I don’t understand though, is if she has already been sentenced then how can she be out on bail? does bail not usually only happen before Sentencing? I guess things work different here!

That's very true. The former mayor of Bang Saen was granted bail AFTER being CONVICTED of first degree MURDER and corruption...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Sinking-Lowe...31.html&hl=

Sinking Lower The Lowest, Pattaya City News Breaks Record

So essentially, they did a bunch of ridiculous things with a large amount of money. None of which are in and of themselves black and white illegal. But, since there is no plausible reason to do all that stuff unless you are pulling a scam, they must have been pulling scam. Probably tax evasion.

Read Post #101. There's no "probably" about it. She and others broke the law and were duly found guilty.

It appears that you and I are the only people who don't understand specifically how the law was broken. But from what I can gather- your first two sentences sum it up.

Does one officially retain her Khunying title after screwing every citizen of her country out of tax money and 3 years in the slammer?

No..but they cut of your hair.. no more Khung Dew.555

What I don't understand though, is if she has already been sentenced then how can she be out on bail? does bail not usually only happen before Sentencing? I guess things work different here!

That's very true. The former mayor of Bang Saen was granted bail AFTER being CONVICTED of first degree MURDER and corruption...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Sinking-Lowe...31.html&hl=

Sinking Lower The Lowest, Pattaya City News Breaks Record

Wow that's crap! good to know though!

I think she should just do the 3 years with Monkeyhouse, get it over and done, be free again and get back her 70 Billion.

So now I can say publicly of Potjaman "you're a liar, a thief and a complete disgrace as a human being".

No you can not, unless you are prepared to prove that it was not said inn ill faith. If you can not prove that, you can and will be sued for defamation.

For that is the law of the land...

*Still looking for my face*

None of them will ever serve time in prison. What the court says and what really happens here are two diffrent things. It's all done to suit the flavour of the junta/establishment and other very poo-yais. But at the end of the day, no rich people with a following (e.g. with a patronage system following) ever go to prison. Them's the rules. There would be "anarchy" otherwise - and the gloves would come off between the craven rich families.

Always remember, Thailand is a country of feudal chieftons. It's been lucky to have someone who's kept them all at bay through all these years..One of the rules is that none of them get more than a bloody nose. When you think about it, this is what's kept the place 'pleasant' enough - but the mid-term future doesn't look very good does it..

Ex-Thai PM Thaksin's wife guilty of tax fraud

BANGKOK, July 31 (Reuters) - A Thai court sentenced the wife of ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, a major force in his political and business empire, to three years in jail on Thursday after finding her guilty of tax fraud.

Potjaman Shinawatra, or "The Mistress", as she is often known, stood emotionless as the verdict was delivered at the end of the first of a slew of legal cases against Thaksin's inner circle stemming from graft probes launched after a 2006 coup.

Thaksin himself, in court with the couple's three adult children, appeared to be fighting back tears :o as his 51-year-old wife walked over to pat him on the back seconds after the ruling.

"The second defendant was not only supposed to behave herself as a good citizen, she was also meant to be a good role model as the wife of the prime minister," the judge said in the televised ruling.

Potjaman, her brother Bannapot Damapong and her secretary were charged with colluding to evade tax worth 546 million baht in the transfer in 1997 of shares in Shin Corp SHIN.BK, the telecoms firm Thaksin founded.

They had argued that the shares were a wedding gift for Bannapot and therefore tax exempt, a theory that cut little ice with judges who deemed the crime "severe".

The trio were freed on bail of 5 million baht each, and a family spokesman said they would appeal.

Around 1,000 Thaksin supporters massed outside the courtroom carrying roses and banners, although they were prevented from getting too close by 300 riot police. There was no trouble.

Although widely expected, the verdict is a blow to Thaksin in his fight to clear his name and return to mainstream political life after his removal in 2006.

Graft investigators have filed several cases, and the verdict is a sign of the legal tide turning against the telecoms billionaire, whose sway over the current government, packed with his close aides and associates, is not in doubt.

It also intensified speculation he is trying to cut a deal with prosecutors and his opponents to accept a period of exile rather than jail.

On Wednesday, the Supreme Court said it would hear a case over allegations he arranged soft loans to military-ruled Myanmar while in office to benefit his family's telecoms business.

Two days earlier, the same court agreed to investigate his entire cabinet, including three ministers in the current administration, for allegedly breaking gambling laws in a push to launch a state lottery in 2003.

Thaksin and Potjaman have also been charged with abuse of power over her purchase of a prime piece of Bangkok real estate from a government agency during his time in office, despite laws against relatives of political leaders striking such deals.

The slew of cases have added to the worries about political stability that have caused the stock market to fall 22 percent since the end of May.

Most of the concerns center on the government's preoccupation with fighting off political attacks rather than concentrating on the economy, which is suffering from decade-high inflation and stuttering growth.

- Reuters

When you think about it, this is what's kept the place 'pleasant' enough - but the mid-term future doesn't look very good does it..

I for one am looking forward to the post USSR-esque free for all that it'll likely all become. I have my chess pieces in place, how about ya'll?

...Rest assured that for every baht of Thaksin's money that is in Thailand and subject to seizure, he has taken 1000 baht outside and it is untouchable...

You think he has $1 trillion? :o :

After Thai authorities froze more than $2bn (£1bn) of his family's assets pending corruption cases against him, he is now reportedly worth $400m (£200m).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7534374.stm

I for one am looking forward to the post USSR-esque free for all that it'll likely all become. I have my chess pieces in place, how about ya'll?

Good point Heng. But do you expect a complete free for all-scene for all farangs too? That would be fantastic :-D

Good old days, open discos until the sun comes up and goes down again?

Good point Heng. But do you expect a complete free for all-scene for all farangs too? That would be fantastic :-D

Good old days, open discos until the sun comes up and goes down again?

There will plenty of crumbs to go around for everyone, farangs included.

Not sure what you mean by "discos" though, you mean like in historical documentaries like Saturday Night Fever?

Keeping it All in the Family...

One brother-in-law discusses the case involving another brother-in-law...

bro-in-law.jpg

Deputy PM: Tax Evasion Case Does Not Set Precedent for Future Rulings

Somchai Wongsawat believes the court's verdict in the tax evasion case against Thaksin's wife will not set a precedent or impact the Shinawatras' plans to leave the country and travel to China.

After the Criminal Court handed a jail sentence on the tax evasion case against former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's wife, Pojaman Shinawatra and two other defendants, Deputy Prime Minister and Education Minister Somchai Wongsawat said the case has followed the judicial system, so they can make an appeal.

However, he believes the verdict will not become a model for other cases which have been filed against the Shinawtra family as the factors are different.

He says it will not affect the Shinawatras' trip to China either as they have not caused any trouble throughout the case. :o:D

- Thailand Outlook

_44880417_thaksins_b226_getty.jpg

Former PM Thaksin Shinawatra and his wife Pojaman were once seemingly untouchable

BBC

Thaksin family's gamble fails to pay

The sight of Pojaman Shinawatra standing uneasily in the dock in Bangkok's main Criminal Court may prove to be a defining moment in the shifting balance of power in Thai politics.

The guilty verdict was not unexpected.

But in sentencing her to three years in prison - and delivering a stern reprimand over her failure to set an example - the judge showed no hesitation in punishing and dressing down a woman still viewed by many Thais as among the most powerful in the country.

In court her husband, Thaksin Shinawatra, looked shell-shocked. :o

Over the coming months he will also be in court to defend himself against various charges of abusing his power while in office. The prospect of a woman who is not just his wife, but also his most trusted business and political partner, going to jail, must also now be weighing on him.

At the height of his power, after an unprecedented landslide election victory in 2005, Thaksin Shinawatra seemed untouchable.

He was immensely wealthy, in a country where money has always played a crucial role in accumulating and maintaining political power. His populist economic agenda helped build up a seemingly impregnable bedrock of popular support.

There were many quiet complaints about conflicts of interest, but no-one dared challenge these in court.

Just months into his first administration in 2001, he was exonerated from a charge of concealing his assets in a controversial decision by the Constitutional Court, despite apparently incontrovertible evidence against him.

It was the first example, said his critics, of his overwhelming power riding roughshod over the checks and balances built into the 1997 constitution.

When Thaksin made his triumphant return from exile in March, he must have gambled that he could beat the charges against him. It now looks as though he miscalculated.

- BBC

_44880417_thaksins_b226_getty.jpg

Former PM Thaksin Shinawatra and his wife Pojaman were once seemingly untouchable

BBC

Thaksin family's gamble fails to pay

The sight of Pojaman Shinawatra standing uneasily in the dock in Bangkok's main Criminal Court may prove to be a defining moment in the shifting balance of power in Thai politics.

The guilty verdict was not unexpected.

But in sentencing her to three years in prison - and delivering a stern reprimand over her failure to set an example - the judge showed no hesitation in punishing and dressing down a woman still viewed by many Thais as among the most powerful in the country.

In court her husband, Thaksin Shinawatra, looked shell-shocked. :o

Over the coming months he will also be in court to defend himself against various charges of abusing his power while in office. The prospect of a woman who is not just his wife, but also his most trusted business and political partner, going to jail, must also now be weighing on him.

At the height of his power, after an unprecedented landslide election victory in 2005, Thaksin Shinawatra seemed untouchable.

He was immensely wealthy, in a country where money has always played a crucial role in accumulating and maintaining political power. His populist economic agenda helped build up a seemingly impregnable bedrock of popular support.

There were many quiet complaints about conflicts of interest, but no-one dared challenge these in court.

Just months into his first administration in 2001, he was exonerated from a charge of concealing his assets in a controversial decision by the Constitutional Court, despite apparently incontrovertible evidence against him.

It was the first example, said his critics, of his overwhelming power riding roughshod over the checks and balances built into the 1997 constitution.

When Thaksin made his triumphant return from exile in March, he must have gambled that he could beat the charges against him. It now looks as though he miscalculated.

- BBC

Well it HAS been an interesting day.

The Shinawatra family seems to be living up to the ancient Chinese curse.

"May you live in interesting times."

When one is grasping,

it is good to known the exact length

and power of your reach...