Internet Banking New Security

Ok I have Nat West Bank account and Nationwide Flex account.

Lots of people on here will a Nationwide Flex.

It may be of interest for people to know that Both these banks have introduced an extra layer security.

In the form of a Card Reader.

This was posted out to me to my address in the UK,

It is not yet required in order to manage your account online but will

soon become Live.

Problem for me and for anyone in my situation.

Card is in LOS with my Wife and I am in UK at the moment.

This will prevent me from Managing my Account

Card has to be put into reader in order to get

I suspect a differant pin Number every time you Log ON

So will not be able to manage or transfer money from My E Saver to Flex account

No I do not have two cards Nationwide would not issue a card for my wife without the same Security checks.

Like utility bills ect, being in Thailand that was a Problem

Am I the only one ?

I have had similar problems dealing with the US. One of my banks, I actually had to get a free US ISP (netzero) and call from Thailand (using a VOIP device so it was not expensive) and set a COOKIE on my machine to show that I had logged on from the US (all done from Thailand). It was like I was hacking into my own account, so I don't feel like I did anything wrong. But these things are only going to get worse.

Edited by Jingthing

Are you sure.

My interpretation is that the card reader would only be required for "high value" and third party transactions.

I will check again.

Open Number 2 account (in your name) give card and PIN to wife and feed, online, from one of your accounts - subject to me being right about card reader.

From Nationwide website Q & A section:-

When will I need to use my Card Reader?

When using our Internet Banking service. You may be asked to use your card and Card Reader when you:

make a payment to a third party

set up or change a single or regular arrangement to a third party

view a PDF of your Statement

change your memorable data or passnumber

View or change your personal details

Transfer a balance to your Nationwide Credit Card

There's no change to the way you sign on to Internet Banking

I believe this will not affect your ability to do online inter-account transfers and, if you think about, ATM withdrawals will be unaffected because it would be impossible to have a new PIN for each withdrawal - you would have to take the card reader around with you.

Nationwide Flex account still looks the best bet for UK Falangs.

I have had similar problems dealing with the US. One of my banks, I actually had to get a free US ISP (netzero) and call from Thailand (using a VOIP device so it was not expensive) and set a COOKIE on my machine to show that I had logged on from the US (all done from Thailand). It was like I was hacking into my own account, so I don't feel like I did anything wrong. But these things are only going to get worse.

This is not so surprising.

To pay my alimony and child support, I go online to State of xxx website each month and authorize a one-time transaction to withdraw the amount from my bank account.

If I am outside USA I cannot access the website.

Fortunately, I can VPN into my employer's network and then can access the site.

So far, I have not experienced a similar problem with my bank.

Was not thinking ATM withdrawls would be a problem,

But without the Card and reader together, Managing the account online will be.

Only for the following transactions:-

I accept that if you need to do any of those it could be. I would suggest that these are not daily requirements - certainly not for me and only the card payment could be an issue so I full try and change that to a full repayment direct debit so I don't get caught out when I am Thailand.

I also accept that everyone's needs are different. I chose Nationwide Flex so my g/f can access cash for rent, food etc. I then got one myself because it is excellent for my cash requirements and I can feed g/f's account online. The card reader should not impact on this from my understanding.

What the hel_l is "card reader"?

My wife takes money from my Westpac Australia ATM card with no problems.

That "additional" security might be Internet banking when transferring money overseas.

I thought Thai banks were backwards but recently StGeorge Oz bank wanted to send me an OTP (one time password) to my mobile - that is impossiblle from Oz to Japan (due to stone age of technology in Oz).

Of all Thai banks, one that I know of, BKK bank makes it one-off - one time "OTP" to register 3rd party account once and then no more hassles. Just paid my rent for this month from Japan.

Kashikorn Bank would torture you for everything - even for looking into your account balance. That "OTP" for everything, means you are either in Thai or paying 60US$ for roaming to get their "OTP" once or twice a month.

Edited by think_too_mut

From Nationwide website Q & A section:-

When will I need to use my Card Reader?

When using our Internet Banking service. You may be asked to use your card and Card Reader when you:

There's no change to the way you sign on to Internet Banking

I believe this will not affect your ability to do online inter-account transfers and, if you think about, ATM withdrawals will be unaffected because it would be impossible to have a new PIN for each withdrawal - you would have to take the card reader around with you.

Nationwide Flex account still looks the best bet for UK Falangs.

This is spot on, I use the card reader and it is only used for third party payments. Transfers between your own Nationwide Accounts can be done as normal as with signing on to Online Banking.

Edited by Tafia