Shengen Visa For Transit.

My friend in Ghana is coming to visit me here in Thailand.

It was intended he fly KLM or Luthansa via Amsterdam/Frankfurt.

This requires a transit visa at some cost!.

WHY ????

He will not be entering either Holland or Germany.He will be in the transit areas waiting for his connecting flight to Bangkok for a few hours and will not be passing immigration and entering either countries.He has his Thai visa and return ticket.

This recent rigmarole with Gary Glitter at Bangkok illustrates that the transit areas are not internationaly recognised as being part of the sovereign country....so why are the europeans

insisting that a transit visitor must apply and pay for a visa?

It seems that these european airlines will be losing many possible passengers to the Arab airlines that do not depend on an european hub.

• 3 weeks later...
Unfortunately, it's as a consequence of the actions of some of your friend's fellow countrymen. Not all nationalities require an airside transit visa, but those deemed most likely to cut short their onward trip in the European country, do.

Scouse.

Yes I can fully understand that because of the influx of Africans illegaly 'overstaying' the immigration guys are always suspicious...and rightly so...but in the case of a simple transit through the airport,if they were so minded they would have to somehow escape from the terminal and evade all security...and also buy the tickets for their 'supposed' destination.

In the case of a genuine passenger it does add to the costs of their journey.

In my case he will now travel Kenya Airways via Nairobi...so the European airlines have lost out.

Whilst I'm sure both KLM and Lufthansa are devastated at the loss of this fare and have probably had to cancel the directors Christmas party as a result; immigration rules and visa requirements are not under their, or any other carrier's, control. They are set by national governments.

If you want to blame someone, blame the criminal gangs who smuggle and traffik people internationaly.