Pickpocket Victim On Pattaya Beach Road

libya 115

SOURCE: Pattaya People: August 25th 2008

Pick Pocket Victim on Beach Road

Mr. Craig Alexander aged 39 from the USA came into Pattaya Police Station on the 24th August to report that he had just had his wallet stolen whilst drinking at a bar in Soi 7 off Beach Road.

He claimed that whilst sitting with Ms Chaweenwan, a woman came up to him and tried to give him a massage which he declined so the understanding woman left the scene.

However, when Mr. Alexander went to pay his tab, he realized that his wallet containing 6,000 baht and 7,000 US Dollars and documents was missing.

A report was made and officers will investigate further into the incident.

Photograph courtesy of Pattaya People

Craig Alexander sans $US 7,000

post-26634-1219676027_thumb.jpg

If it was in the US the fellow would probably be arrested for making a false police report.

Regarding insurance, it is almost impossible to get insurance that covers cash.

Just so stupid to carry that sort of money around.

I know people just do not want the hassle of TC's, ATM cards and do not trust hotel safes, but if it was known just how much he had on him he could have been killed for it.

BB

Just so stupid to carry that sort of money around.

I know people just do not want the hassle of TC's, ATM cards and do not trust hotel safes, but if it was known just how much he had on him he could have been killed for it.

I got paid 5000 USD in cash the other year all in 100 dollar bills and the only way to carry it was to fill both pockets to the brim and put some in my shoes, unless it was in a bag he is lying.

Mr. Craig Alexander aged 39 from the USA came into Pattaya Police Station on the 24th August to report that he had just had his wallet stolen whilst drinking at a bar in Soi 7 off Beach Road.

He claimed that whilst sitting with Ms Chaweenwan, a woman came up to him and tried to give him a massage which he declined so the understanding woman left the scene.

However, when Mr. Alexander went to pay his tab, he realized that his wallet containing 6,000 baht and 7,000 US Dollars and documents was missing.

more fool him for carrying that amount of cash

My guess is that he promised to pay somebody back some money and instead didn't have it so he had to come up with a story.

That's just my guess because no way in hel_l could I fill a wallet with $7000 and if I did, you would not be able to pull that wallet from my pocket particularly if I was sitting down. That is impossible!!!!

How could that woman pull that big wallet out without the guy knowing what was happening.

My guess is that he promised to pay somebody back some money and instead didn't have it so he had to come up with a story.

That's just my guess because no way in hel_l could I fill a wallet with $7000 and if I did, you would not be able to pull that wallet from my pocket particularly if I was sitting down. That is impossible!!!!

How could that woman pull that big wallet out without the guy knowing what was happening.

You may well be correct in your debt theory. Like most Pattaya robbery/burglary stories half of what you read is lies and the other half aint true.

In terms of the theft I have been the victim of a pickpocket once. Beach road late at night I was approached by a freelancer "Hello, where you go, I go wid you" routine and hands all over me. Pushed her away and immediately checked my pockets, no wallet and at that point I heard a motorbike roar away from behind me. Luckily I was on my way home and there was only a couple of hundred Baht but it taught me how easy we can be distracted and now I am very defensive if anyone I don't know approaches me.

But a wallet with $7000 plus 6000THB is a sizeable wad to even get into a standard pocket let alone remove without the owner's knowledge unless, that is, he was wearing those baggy multi pocketted cargo pants.

No whatever way you look at it the whole story is utter bolleaux. Who in their right mind goes out drinking anywhere in the world with that amount of cash on them? And if you did you'd be defensive to the point of paranoia.

btw I don't get the hassle of TC's bit. I always arrive in Pattaya with a couple of hundred dollars cash and the rest in TC's. Okay not all exchange booths take TC's but it doesn't take long to suss out which ones do. Then all you need to do is ensure you always have enough cash each evening before they shut (circa 21:00). Yes you have to take your passport with you but all you do is cash the TC then take the pp back to the hotel. That's a lot less hassle then losing your cash or joining the cashcard fraud party.

Most likely an error in reporting, $700 sounds more likely - as stated previously his wallet couldnt fit that much.

Agreed, as stated in many other threads the standard of reporting in Pattaya is s__t, an extra zero is nothing.

BB

What's the high-end US currency note?

There must be something over the standard 100$, surely?

Back in the days of proper currencies I used to carry a 1,000 DM bill in my wallet as an emergency in case I needed to fly out PDQ - now a US $ 1,000 wouldn't cover it.

Nope. 100 dollar bill. That's it. And it really isn't used that much compared to 20's. When you present one, they usually look it over.

Edited by Jingthing

With that way that's worded, shouldn't they change it to " Presumed Thief " ?? :o

Back in the days of proper currencies I used to carry a 1,000 DM bill in my wallet as an emergency in case I needed to fly out PDQ - now a US $ 1,000 wouldn't cover it.

Nope. 100 dollar bill. That's it. And it really isn't used that much compared to 20's. When you present one, they usually look it over.

Some banks will not change US$100's as there is an increased chance of forgery. Causes all sorts of problems for the US sailors who use the ATM on board for security reasons, then discover they cannot easily change the notes in their wallets.

Still it beggars belief that the gent in question did not notice 76 or so notes being lifted from his person. :o

For all practical purposes, the largest US note in circulation is, indeed, the $100 bill. When I was younger they still had $500 and $1,000 bills (which are still legal tender but not in general circulation). However, the largest US note that is still legal tender today is the $10,000 bill. The problem is that again there are none in general circulation.

We had a discussion (back in April I think) that had something to do with money. At the time I just happened to have about 100k (Thai) in my hand and measured it. 100 x 1,000 baht notes made a rather thick stack.

This guy would have had to have no less that 76 bills (70 x $100 US and 6 x 1,000 Thai). Still a large wad and even if he was able to get it all in his wallet, it would have made a rather sizeable (and uncomfortable) lump in his butt.

But it wouldn't be the first time I've heard a story about someone who (suddenly) lost all their money, through no fault of their own (of course), just before having to pay off something (co-incidentally). :o

Over the years I've heard of numerous people that have sold their return tickets and emptied their bank accounts in an effort to stay just a little bit longer. Others have had various mishaps. Like the guy who claimed his pants (and wallet) caught fire on a hotplate in his hotel room, just before he was due to check-out and leave the country. Despite losing all his money, he was somehow able to catch a taxi to the airport and get out of the country (leaving his hotel bill unpaid and the owner having to deal with the damage from the fire). :D

Or that group of girls not too long ago, where one claimed to have been raped, but CCTV footage showed her standing in her hotel room door, waving good-bye to the guys that supposedly just raped her. Suddenly the whole group disappeared (and apparently forgot to pay their hotel bill on the way out as well).

As I suspected (at the time), we never heard anything more on that story after the group made it back home.

I still find it odd how sometimes, someone will report a necklace snatch or pick-pocketing, and the police are able to track the culprit down halfway across the city within a couple hours, and other times they seem unable to do anything at all.

This reminds me of a thread which has been running recently on another forum of which i am a member. About British truck drivers, whilst in Europe, getting gassed in their cabs whilst sleeping. They wake up feeling very drowsy with a thumping headache that lasts all day. Wallet, running money, phone, camera etc. all gone.

BUT:

1. usually no signs of forced entry/damage to cab doors/locks.

2. After some indepth research by some of the forum members, it seems there is no gas that can be readily used in this manner without serious death risk.

The line of thinking being that they have drunk/gambled it all away.

Maybe it was that new $7000 bill...

Probably they meant 7000 baht equivalent in dollars, which ain't much at all!

I have to agree. 7000 baht = $200 US - this sounds much more likely.

• 2 months later...
For all practical purposes, the largest US note in circulation is, indeed, the $100 bill. When I was younger they still had $500 and $1,000 bills (which are still legal tender but not in general circulation). However, the largest US note that is still legal tender today is the $10,000 bill. The problem is that again there are none in general circulation.

dam_n, I want a few of them 10K notes!

Could always ask this guy if he has any spare notes

A Pittsburgh conman was caught out in an ambitious scam - when he asked for change for a million dollar note.

The man presented the note at a supermarket and demanded change.

But the cashier at the Giant Eagle Store refused and alerted the manager, who confiscated the fake note.

At this point the would-be millionaire crook flew into a rage.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Sky-News-...641287631?f=rss

I agree that it's probably absolute BS that he had $US7000 in his wallet. In previous discussions at TV, people have justified carrying large sums of money, but only because they couldn't get a bank draft or similar document to pay for a vehicle or other large price items. In those cases, I seriously doubt that those people decided to stop off at a beer bar for a few on their way to the auto dealership. My guess is that he's hoping that by filing a police report, that will provide him some sort of official documentation that can be used for a bogus insurance claim. But if he really did go out for a night of drinking with that much cash in his wallet, then he's a complete moron who deserves to picked clean.

Edited by Beacher