Arabs Buy Man City Off Thaksin

StevieH

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/529580-abu-...ster-city?ln=en

Abu Dhabi seals deal to buy Manchester City

updateDate = "Monday, 01 September 2008 11:28" document.getElementById('crumbs-dir').innerHTML = 'SPORT / NEWS /' by Anil Bhoyrul on Monday, 01 September 2008

alfahim_thumb.jpg DONE DEAL: ADUG's man on the City board Dr Sulaiman Al Fahim.

Premier League football club Manchester City has been taken over by the Abu Dhabi United Group for Development and Investment (ABUG), Arabian Business can reveal.

The deal was struck late on Sunday night between the club’s former owner Dr Thaksin Shinawatra, former Prime Minister of Thailand, and ADUG.

ADUG will be represented on the new board of Manchester City by Hydra Properties CEO Dr Sulaiman Al Fahim.

edit - sorry mods, realise now this should have gone in the open man city thread.

Edited by StevieH

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

City takeover agreed - Sky News

Abu Dhabi United Group invest in Premier League club

Manchester City have been taken over by the Abu Dhabi United Group for Development and Investment, according to reports.

The website for Arabian Business claims that a deal with current owner Thaksin Shinawatra was completed on Sunday evening.

The former Thai prime minister has been looking for new investment in the club, despite taking charge just over 12 months ago.

Shinawatra has helped bankroll a number of big-money transfers in the past but, with his assets currently frozen as he awaits trial in Thailand, doubts have been cast over his long-term future at the club.

Details

The Abu Dhabi United Group will be represented on the club's board by Dr Sulaiman Al Fahim, chief executive of Hydra Properties.

Fahim said: "We will release details later, but this is a great event for both the club and Abu Dhabi.

"Our goal is very simple - to make Manchester City the biggest clup in the Premier League, and to begin with, to finish in the top four this season."

redrus

*and Dr Sulaiman Al Fahim saaaaid, I thought you played in red, are you havin a laugh, are you havin a laugh................ :o

Edited by redrus

Good riddance to Toxin. He won't be mised by many.

I got the impression he wasn't going anywhere, this new guy will sit on the BOD and give cash cos Taxin can't get his own. I've only skimmed through reports but, nothing has suggested to me he's sold the lot....?

Can someone confirm....?

redrus

edit* he former Thai prime minister has been looking for new investment in the club,
Edited by redrus

Reopened by request in order to discuss the football side and it's effects rather then politics which can be found in the News Clippings forum. :o

Pardon my asking, but if it's not about politics why then can it not be discussed in the Manchester City thread ?

Just wondering and no disrepect meant.

This actually leads to a topic that I should probably open a thread for but as it involves moderators decisions I may not be allowed to discuss it. (Dilemma dilemma)

Edited by LeungKen

Thanks Tywais :o

This is the officail statement on the city website:-

"Manchester City can confirm that a Memorandum of Understanding has been signed between the Abu Dhabi United Group (ADUG) and Manchester City Football Club Limited.

A period of due diligence for all parties, including the FA Premier League has now been entered.

A further statement will be released by the Club in due course."

We're rich, rich, i tell ya. Oh happy days are here again, la, la, la, la, la de la :D

Reopened by request in order to discuss the football side and it's effects rather then politics which can be found in the News Clippings forum. :o

Pardon my asking, but if it's not about politics why then can it not be discussed in the Manchester City thread ?

This actually leads to a topic that I should probably open a thread for but as it involves moderators decisions I may not be allowed to discuss it. (Dilemma dilemma)

Shhhhhhh ... or you'll be nabbed.

I asked for it to be re-opened ken. The one in the news forum gets taken over by politics, Thaksin bashers and quite simply by people who know naff about football. We all have the banter in here and are quite used to each other and let's face it, this is the football forum, so it should be in here really.

Also, the knock on effects of the takeover, like City doing a surprise bid for Berbotov are really football issues.

Reopened by request in order to discuss the football side and it's effects rather then politics which can be found in the News Clippings forum. :D

Better be careful, otherwise you'll be getting a "holiday". I thnk Sunderland may have some tips on what to do if it's a 3 day break. :o

Since I'm not into football or politics ..... :o I believe the idea is to have a tamed down version of the discussion as opposed to what happens in the News Clipping arena. Not a problem asking the question.

BBC Sport understands that a £30m bid has indeed been made for Dimitar Berbatov, while the club are in talks with Valencia's David Villa and Stuttgart's Mario Gomez.

Man City ... the new Chelski.

I think it will be Man Sheiksi :o

A couple of things.

What will happen to the three Thai players, or to that extent what is happening to them now?

The board at present is made up of a few Somchais, where will they go?

Will Taksin retain any position in the club?

Will the Man City logo now be changed to a picture of a camel?

Will sheeps eyes be replacing the pies?

The list of questions are endless.

Anyway, Benzema is on his way to United if the press is to be believed. Not. :o

What will happen to the three Thai players, or to that extent what is happening to them now?

Who cares. They where <deleted> anyway :o

The board at present is made up of a few Somchais, where will they go?

Who cares. They where <deleted> anyway :D

Will the Man City logo now be changed to a picture of a camel?

:D

Will Taksin retain any position in the club?

Apparently as Hourary Club President

Will sheeps eyes be replacing the pies?

Who cares. The pies where <deleted> anyway :D

Since I'm not into football or politics ..... :D I believe the idea is to have a tamed down version of the discussion as opposed to what happens in the News Clipping arena. Not a problem asking the question.

Thanks for the prompt explanatory reply Tywais and to you BJ for identifying yourself as the requester and your reasoning. I can accept the decision (in true sportsman like style)

My querying the decision came about after an almost farcical episode where someone opened a thread about the closure of the Phuket Airport, George then opened a very similar thread then closed the first thread but the topic was then in General and not Phuket Topics, this happened another 2 or 3 times with the same topic trying to be discussed in Thailand News, Phuket News, General and back to Phuket. (Have a chat with Donna about it) Something similar started to happen once again with this recent news and I tried to politely explain this to the powers that be. What I am asking is can Admin & Mods please have a brainstorming session when next they meet to address this issue of duplicate or muliple thread placements, Thank You and rant over, sorry to interupt the Football thread lads.

and getting back to my sportsman-like style,.... " What do you mean it was out ? "

:o

:D

mmmmmm now what? still cant beleive we nicked 3 points at spurs then go down to city at home :o:D:D

You can't believe it??? How long have you been following Sunderland? Five minutes??? :D

Sunderland are as predictable as night and day. Always ready to let us down when our hopes are raised. Nothing new in that.

Never mind ... George McCartney is on his way back to Sunderland today. New defence for the next game. Chimbonda or Bardsley, Nosworthy or Collins, Ferdinand and McCartney

mmmmmm now what? still cant beleive we nicked 3 points at spurs then go down to city at home :o:D:D

You can't believe it??? How long have you been following Sunderland? Five minutes??? :D

Sunderland are as predictable as night and day. Always ready to let us down when our hopes are raised. Nothing new in that.

Never mind ... George McCartney is on his way back to Sunderland today. New defence for the next game. Chimbonda or Bardsley, Nosworthy or Collins, Ferdinand and McCartney

Surely Lennon and McCartney.....! :D

redrus

Is there a lot of truth in this Sunderland or just rumors in your neck of the Woods ??

Is there a lot of truth in this Sunderland or just rumors in your neck of the Woods ??

Started as a romour this morning but, apparently has been seen at TSoL....! (according to Radio 5 Live)

redrus

This is way to much for my brain to take in...Thaksin has sold to Arabs and Berbatov has signed for City.

Whoooa...thats way tooooo much in one day to take in.

What next...there is still a few hours to go...Robhino snatched from under the noses of Chelski., or maybe as a last resort City will jump in for Kevin Doyle......as a P/Ex for Richard Dunne..<deleted> its the last ay of the window...thats what makes it so exciting

This is way to much for my brain to take in...Thaksin has sold to Arabs and Berbatov has signed for City.

Tug of war over Berbatov

1/ 9/2008

STRIKER Dimitar Berbatov is at the centre of a dramatic tug-of-war between City and United.

Unconfirmed reports have said that Reds boss Sir Alex Ferguson has been spotted picking up the Bulgarian from Manchester Airport.

Fergie was expected to be whisking him away to the Carrington training ground to discuss personal terms.

City, however, remain hopeful that their British transfer record £30m bid, which has been accepted by Spurs, will force the issue.

Blues boss Mark Hughes, who has spent the day playing golf at Worsley Marriot, confirmed he would look to hold talks with Berbatov “at some point” and believes City's ambitious move will delight their supporters.

He said: “Now really it's down to the boy to make a decision I think."

redrus