State Of Emergency Announced In Bangkok

george

PAD deploys protesters to protect ASTV

BANGKOK: -- The People's Alliance for Democracy sent some 500 to 600 protesters to guard the satellite-TV for fear that the government would shut it down.

At 9:40 am, PAD leaders enlisted volunteers to help guard the station after the government bans the media against making reports in away deemed terrifying the public or inciting unrest.

The PAD leaders also invited the people to come out to join the rallies at Government House and at the Makkhawan Bridge.

-- The Nation 2008-09-02

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am not able to reach the Bangkokpost website in the last hour. anyone else has a problem with it? I am in Bangkok with a True connection.

Waerth

It looks like their servers are overloaded. Took forever to download then was incomplete

Same problem with the nation.

Edit: Just a good download on both.

Edited by ubonjoe

Not sure if this has been reported yet. Doesn't look too good.

Nationwide strikes

BANGKOK: -- Forty-three state enterprise labour unions under control of People's Alliance for Democracy organisers have agreed to stage strikes and to selectively cut water and electricity, halt Bangkok buses and delay all Thai International Airways flights beginning on Wednesday. The aim is to help PAD to force the government out of office.

Sawit Kaewwan, secretary-general of the State Enterprise Labour Relations Confederation and a core leader of the People's Alliance for Democracy, said the unions will begin by cutting water and electricity supplies to provincial police offices - and then to other selected targets.

Telephone lines to government agencies and the homes of cabinet ministers will be cut.

Flights of Thai International flights will be delayed nationwide and about 80 per cent of Bangkok buses will stop running. In a reversal of the policy, train service was restored yesterday to the Northeast and North.

A union representative told the union meeting that the 7,500 staf of the Government Savings Bank will "follow the confederation's resolution."

Mr Sawit claimed the plan to cut essential services was in response to the use of force against PAD supporters.

Fellow PAD radical Sirichai Mai-ngam, president of the labour union at the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand, said the announcement of the confederation was only a threat, but then immediately said it would be put into action. The moves by the PAD-friendly labour unions were intended to protect the interests of the nation and were not for the benefit of state enterprise workers.

The confederation has 43 state enterprise labour unions with more than 200,000 members, Mr Sirichai said.

"Today is our D-Day. We have given them [the government] many chances.

"If the government does not resign, we will continue our operations until it quits," Mr Sawit said.

Boonma Pongma, vice-president of the BMTA's union, said there will be only 800 free red-cream buses left to serve Bangkok commuters, or about 20% of the whole fleet.

Somsak Manop, vice-president of Thai Airways International's union, said the union will delay the arrival and departure times of THAI aircraft and will reduce the number of flights.

Thammarat Ramkwan, president of the Provincial Waterworks Authority's union, said the union will initially cut water supplies to police stations across the country.

Phien Yongnoo, president of the Metropolitan Electricity Authority's labour union, said the union was considering cutting off the power supply to help the PAD pressure the government.

However, the power supply cut would be applied to government agencies whose bills were overdue by one month.

"We will hold a discussion to consider whether the cut-off period could be shorter than one month. It should be one week or whatever. We will do everything to achieve our goal of pressuring the government," he said.

However, at least three labour unions from state-run banks disagreed with the planned strike.

Kusol Boonklom, president of the Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Co-operatives' labour union, said members of the BAAC union needed to discuss the planned strike among themselves first.

Natthapat Yimyai, president of the Government Savings Bank's labour union, said his members had varying views on whether to join the strike.

Somsak Boonthong, chairman of the SRT's board, said the board is considering whether to resign following the stoppages by railway workers.

"The move by the SRT union to stop rail services was wrong, so we are considering resigning and taking responsibility," he said. The board is expected to make a decision in two days, he said.

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej called an urgent meeting yesterday to discuss the union stance with leaders of the People Power party.

PM's Office Minister Chusak Sirinil said the prime minister stressed the importance of legal means to deal with the protesters.

Meanwhile, northern and northeastern train services resumed yesterday after hundreds of railway workers went on strike last week and paralysed the country's rail system.

In Nakhon Ratchasima province, State Railway of Thailand governor Yutthana Sapcharoen held talks with railway workers and persuaded them to cancel the strike.

The first northeastern train, on the Nakhon Ratchasima-Surin route, left at 6pm, while northeastern-bound services from Bangkok were expected to resume last night.

-- Bangkok Post 2008-09-02

A protestor was so clever and used red medicine (looked like blood) in the body and claimed that police harmed people :D

You obviously are a troll. :o

They talked on NBT that it was red medicine and not blood.

A first few tear gas bombs were not done by the police. The police received one when it did not go off so they threw out to the protestor side.

All info I got are from watching NBT. Other stations don't support the government. NBT gives black and white evidence. I trust them.

You trust NBT? You must be joking

I am not able to reach the Bangkokpost website in the last hour. anyone else has a problem with it? I am in Bangkok with a True connection.

Waerth

Yes, have also had trouble from Chiang Mai. I think it may just be overloaded. Working for me now. "Breaking News" is

bullet1.gifBoonsang: Soldiers stand on people's sidebullet1.gifPM: State of emergency will last only few daysbullet1.gifPAD defies emergency orders to end protestbullet1.gifState of emergency declared in Bangkokbullet1.gifArmy called out after death at Govt House clashbullet1.gifThailand's CPI drops sharply in Augustbullet1.gifMore state enterprises threaten to strikebullet1.gifNo electrical cut-off: MEA Governorbullet1.gifReferendum on PAD interests Justice Minister

The Nation is working better.

Edited by sylviex

I am a firm supporter of PAD and the protest....

It has always been a peaceful protest, in hopes of stopping further corruption and theft of the country to benefit a few at the top.

My wife bears the scars of the May 92 protest, when another corrupt government did the same thing to the people that were peacefully assembled. Many were killed and wounded.

The most peaceful outcome would be for word from on High to come down for Samak to find life elsewhere. I thought it would after his visit to Hua Hin last week.

RIGHT ON!!! I can't believe how many of the farangs posting on here have so little respect for the brave protesters who are standing up for a fair share of the pie, standing up to these elite few who steal from the common man.

Does anybody remember the cival rights movement in America and MLK Jr. ???

you're confused, the PAD ARE the elite !! they protest against the fact that poor are allowed to vote !! they're not protesting against the elite, their protesting to reinstall the elite as the one and only absolute power !!

let me repeat: PAD thinks that poor people shouldn't be allowed to vote !!

the PAD wants to install a dictatorship!!

that's not my opinion, that's their demand !!

I don't think this can be emphasized enough. There isn't very much difference between Sondhi and Thaksin at all. Good friends/business partners at one point. And then clearly, they had a falling out. Sondhi has been a pain in the government's bum ever since.

Some here are complaining that PPP has paid their mob, and/or imported it? PAD's mob is equally bought and paid for (these things do cost money; see Mussolini's March on Rome). By whom? Sondhi has money, but no doubt represents others who are footing the bill as well. PAD is hardly operating from altruistic motives.

It's pretty clear that PAD fights against a democratic system of goverment (whether said democracy is perfect or no). Who fights with/for PAD? Who pays?

That Samak would do whatever he can to oppose PAD is relatively unsurprising (only thing that's surprising is that it took so long). And whatever the characteristics of his government, it is certainly more legitimate than "the mob" aka PAD.

Continuing mob attacks of the goverment is certainly reminiscent of 1930s Germany.

To all those PAD supports every vote is equal no matter if it is from Illsan or from the Bangkok Elite so stop disrespecting your fellow Thais by claiming the farmers who put the food on your table are stupid and don't deserve to have a equal say. It just shows your arrogance a disrespect for the poor hardworking folk who struggle everyday. No government should be appointed by few people with their own hidden agendas. PAD supporters should relize that you have gone way too far with your revolutionary rubbish and attempt to prompt a coup. You are so brainwashed that you cant even see what your leaders like Sondhi want for Thailand. You have lost all respect for people who don't believe in your ideas. Your new politics idea is another form of dictatorship that is a step back into the troubled past. Wait for the next election and get rid of the government legally. Accept the democratic way, even if it isn't perfect its the fairest system we have to go by.

Great post!

If these farmers stop working, we all will have nothing to eat. Working in offices or protesting against the law doesn't create foods.

More importantly, the PAD protesters have been mostly civil. You take democracy away and see what kind of protests you get from the universities and the Isan people that decide to take a sudden vacation in Bangkok. I only predict this, I certainly hope it never comes to that.

A country gets the government it deserves. If the whole culture is accepting of corruption at every level, and contributes to it, no good crying when those kids that grew up with it get into power.

Good post. Hits the nail on the head.

Yes certainly does.

Rhetorically:

Yet, could this be possibly one of those times when people actually

are trying to overcome corruption in all it's facets?

Often mothers are early adopters of this line of anti curruption.

Could it possibly be that the preponderance of older women and mothers

at PAD rallies are there for exactly this reason, and could care less about

Sondhi's reasons for this, or the reasons of those behind them?

Could it be that the grannies are just fed up?

Some thoughts to ponder.

looks like I woke up just in time (after four hours sleep), to see what the Army Chief has to say.

Careful what you guys say here on Thaivisa now, as under the Emergency Degree, they can come after you, if you say something that promotes unruliness or violence (or anything else Samak might think could stop his Fascist hold to power ;-)

I expect ASTV to be cut anytime now and any other station that might decide to say something the government doesn't like.

The only good thing is, that most people in Thailand know first hand that people from the so called DAAD are getting paid to go down and start violence. Even if they never get to see last nights footage of DAAD supporters (mostly drunk) in arms attacking the PAD, they know how so called "Democracy"" works in Thailand.

Samak can say and do whatever he wants, the truth will not be hidden. Like after 1992, when my wife sat in highschool and the teachers brought in the videos of the slaughter, at the demonstrations then and sat down and discussed them with the students.

I just hope that the killing and hurting will stop, but again, we are faced with what many people had to say and stand for, to fight corrupt governments, and unjust government policies.... No Justice No Peace""

As much as I hate military coups in General, this may be the only way to stop Samak and his henchmen from slaughtering their enemies now.

Once again, innocent people are getting killed. At least this time many people have digital cameras and internet, so the world will eventually see what really happened.

I think the only honourable move for Samak and his PPP would have been to step down in this situation. His actions cannot be justified in front of the Thai population.

Anyways, I don't expect that we will get much unbiased news from now on. The government propaganda machine will do it's best to give their actions a positive spin.

Unions will be portrayed as evil elitists, instead of the instruments for positive change, that they really are in Thailand and around the World. Who knows, they might even portray to poor PAD supporter who got shot last night, as some elitist billionaire, who doesn't want the North to have a vote.

I am so tired of some of the rhetoric on this forum, but I feel that opinions such as mine must be voiced, too, so the average person, who doesn't understand, doesn't just get brainwashed into believing that black is white and white is black.

Facts are:

The People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) had protested peacefully for about a week at Governent House, after peacefully taking it over. (By peacefully, I mean not threathening people with guns or knives, etc.)

2. The PAD (to the best of my knowledge) has never tried to take power in the past. They only demonstated against corruption in Government

3. The PAD is made up of people from all walks of life...Farmers, Union members, rich, poor, mostly educated, buy also uneducated. They are not Ëlitists, as some of you try to paint them

4. The PAD was violently attacked last night, by a Pro Government Group that calls itself DAAD, which was armed and used weapons against the PAD supporters

5. Samak tried to change the Constitution, undemocratically, without taking it to a Referendum, so that his party would not get disolved.

6. The courts will most likely order Samak's/Thaksins PPP illegal, because of vote buying involvement by some of it's Executive in the near future, which in my opinion (point 5 and 6)was good enough reason for the PAD to step up Protests.

7. Unions (for the most part), bring about social change and better working conditions. Along with fighting for women's rights and against Child labor practices. They are not what some of you right wingers call "Rich Elitists""

8. PAD was instrumental in getting rid of the previous corrupt Thaksin Government. There demonstrations eventually provided the political climate for a military coup

9. That military coup was peaceful, with the Army returning power about a year later, after holding elections. Amendments in the Constitution safeguarded against vote buying involvement, by executives of political parties, which in my opinion, is a great thing the military government managed to accomplish during its year in Power

I tried to stick to the facts as I see them, because as I mentioned, I am getting tired of the rhetoric. You can overrun the uneducated and politically ignorant with some right wing comments and portray them as truth, but the rest of us will keep holding you accountable. (Well maybe not me, I'm going for breakfast ;-)

I bet "Ai Pued" was also the one who let "Nor Por Gor" gang charge into the PAD crowds last night which has resulted in one death and several injured some of which were serious. The police didn't do anything wrong at all. It was all "Ai Pued"

:o:D

:D to crappiness of journalistic integrity of NBT. :D

Edited by ThNiner

Boonsang: Soldiers stand on people’s side

(BangkokPost.com) – Supreme Commander Boonsang Niampradit said he believes the state of emergency imposed at 7am Tuesday in Bangkok can partly solve political problem.

Gen Boonsang said soldiers will stand shoulder to shoulder with the people and the society, adding that he hopes that ongoing turmoil will not be as violent as October 14, 1973 or October 6, 1976 bloodsheds.

Asked if he thinks the situation will get out of control, Gen Boonsang said it depends on the people, who will have to think carefully what is good or bad for the country.

He also said that the pre-dawn clashes between anti-government group and the pro-government group that led to the death of one protester should not have happened, adding that he believes this is not the government’s attempt to stir unrest in order to lead to the imposition of the state of emergency.

Bangkokpost

~WISteve

September 02, 2008 10:24am (8:24am Thailand)

THAILAND'S Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej declared a state of emergency in Bangkok today, state radio announced, hours after clashes between opponents and supporters of his government left one dead.

Embattled Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej, who has faced mounting calls for his resignation, appointed the powerful army commander General Anupong Paojinda as chief of a special team tasked with enforcing the emergency decree.

Bangkok's police chief and the capital's regional army commander have been appointed his deputies.

Under the emergency decree, gatherings of more than five people in Bangkok are banned.

"By invoking this emergency decree, (General) Anupong can ban people from entering any specific place and can evacuate people from any specific place," the announcement said.

Thai police called in army reinforcements early Tuesday as thousands of pro-and anti-government protesters clashed in the capital, leaving one dead and dozens injured, officials and local media said.

Thai television showed protesters wearing helmets and carrying batons running though the streets, fighting with each other and throwing rocks, as people lay bleeding on the street.

The violence took place not far from the site where about 15,000 demonstrators have been besieging the main government compound for a week, demanding that Mr Samak step down.

Well here we go again!

Same people - same damage. People will certainly die. It's bad. Why should he step down. You can't fix all the bad things from before in just a few months in office. dam_n shame. I new it would happen. And to think some of the protesters want to turn back the clock of time to 1973? Wow! That would be stupid.

I hope this post does not breach the guidelines of the forum. It is not intended to in any way. If it does then I accept its editing by your moderators.

Recently I’ve been trying to study Thai political history using primary sources. Over the weekend I found this letter on public display in a museum on Rajadamnoen Road. It was written in 1926.

An advisor, Dr Sayre, having been asked questions regarding Siam wrote the letter.

July 27th 1926

<self editing, Dr Sayre restates the questions.>

…3rd Question. Must this country have a parliamentary system one day, and is really the Anglo-Saxon type of government suitable to an eastern people?

4th Question. Is this country ready to have some sort of representative government?

<self editing, Dr Sayre's answer>

I do not think it is practical to consider at this time the organisation of a popular representative parliament in Siam. A workable parliament is absolutely dependent on an intelligent electorate. Without intelligent control by the people such a body would be sure to degenerate into a corrupt and tyrannical body. Until the rank and file of people in Siam have generally received a higher degree of education than at present it would seem therefore to be extremely dangerous to set up a populary (?) controlled parliamentary body….<self editing>

I was amazed to realize that after over 80 years others are now making similar suggestions with similar reasoning.

All,

Just was told by my sis-in-law that this emergency decree will also have a 'curfew' from 6 p.m. until 5 a.m. Has anyone any info on this curfew she is yakking about? (I am off to BKK tomorrow night for a meeting and a couple days visiting friends.) Anyone hear anything about this supposed curfew? The present news shown here and elsewhere on the net in English say nothing about this and I am wondering if they are saying this on Thai TV (where Sis got her info she says) and it has yet to hit the usual English language news sources. Any new info appreciated.

Cent

Edited by Cent

So much for Democracy. I'm getting out of here while the getting is good before they shut down the main airport in Bangkok. I certainly don't want to be stuck here during a Revolution should it come to that.

LOL,

Sound like that guy that made a "daring " escape during the last coup, who wrote a blog telling of his ordeal.

My Xbox works fine, and the cat still eats and sleeps, so i think business as usual. ( let me qualify that - keep your nose out of it, and you'll be just fine )

Edited by skippybangkok

So much for Democracy. I'm getting out of here while the getting is good beforethey shut down the main airport in Bangkok. I certainly don't want to be stuck here during a Revolution should it come to that.

I'm doing the opposite - time to arm up and help the family if needed. Running is for those with no connections to the land.

All,

Just was told by my sis-in-law that this emergency decree will also have a 'curfew' from 6 p.m. until 5 a.m. Has anyone any info on this curfew she is yakking about? (I am off to BKK tomorrow night for a meeting and a couple days visiting friends.) Anyone hear anything about this supposed curfew? The present news shown here and elsewhere on the net in English say nothing about this and I am wondering if they are saying this on Thai TV (where Sis got her info she says) and it has yet to hit the usual English language news sources. Any new info appreciated.

Cent

No it does not as Prime Minister Samak has stated though that

the order exempts the enforcement of Article 9 which would prevent people from leaving their residences at night.

will this topic be used for news/bulletins? With the politiking and interminable dialectic debate on the other 'siege' topic

yes, if you don't start politiking but abstain instead! we hoped, you were far away in hongkong. do you think under the soe we are not allowed to answer your provocations and renewed attempts to put this discussion forum under your lone 'siege'?

A protestor was so clever and used red medicine (looked like blood) in the body and claimed that police harmed people :D

You obviously are a troll. :o

They talked on NBT that it was red medicine and not blood.

A first few tear gas bombs were not done by the police. The police received one when it did not go off so they threw out to the protestor side.

All info I got are from watching NBT. Other stations don't support the government. NBT gives black and white evidence. I trust them.

You trust NBT? You must be joking

I don’t trust the protestor group when they use words like “Ei Mak tong ok pay”---very impolite.

NBT is not on one side. They’re in the middle. They also criticize Khun Samak for blaming media people and others---one of the reason leading to the protestation and media people don’t like him.

Until the rank and file of people in Siam have generally received a higher degree of education than at present it would seem therefore to be extremely dangerous to set up a populary (?) controlled parliamentary body

visionary for sure. But speak to a taxi driver, you will find alot of them are very into talking about politics.

They based on law to say Khun Samak should resign because he cooked on tv when being PM. Is that a valid point?

It may be a vaild point of law. That is being decided on by the courts.

And is returning in kind for the billion baht lawsuits

that Dr. T. used vs any who spoke against him while in office.

tit for tat legal machinations.

Not sure if this has been reported yet. Doesn't look too good.

EXCELLENT MOVE

I suppose one reason I am so passionate about my support to getting rid of the current government, and before that thee government of Thaskin is, I saw 1st hand what his policies did in Issan. You gave a lot of people easy credit, based on how much land they owned. They went out bought new trucks, maybe a Mia Noi, a few invested in equipment to farm, but little thought was given to how to pay the money back.

What happened when they did not pay the money back? They lost their land and the government sold it to its cronies....

We bought some of this land our selves, rather than having it go to the government, and then allowed the families to keep farming it.

While a lot of people praised the government for giving them money, for a lot the full realization has yet to set in on what it truly cost them.

It was almost universal in all the villages outside Si Sa Ket for a payment of 200 to 500 baht per vote....This is not democracy.

A country gets the government it deserves. If the whole culture is accepting of corruption at every level, and contributes to it, no good crying when those kids that grew up with it get into power.

Good post. Hits the nail on the head.

Yes certainly does.

Rhetorically:

Yet, could this be possibly one of those times when people actually

are trying to overcome corruption in all it's facets?

Often mothers are early adopters of this line of anti curruption.

Could it possibly be that the preponderance of older women and mothers

at PAD rallies are there for exactly this reason, and could care less about

Sondhi's reasons for this, or the reasons of those behind them?

Could it be that the grannies are just fed up?

Some thoughts to ponder.

Judging by the lack of change in the populations acceptance of corruption at 'street level', I'd say, no chance. Go offer them a few extra baht to get whatever jobs they're doing, done, and see. Few would refuse. Ever see a Thai arguing at a 'cop-stop' about their on-the-spot fines? I certainly have seen NO indication that the average Thai have changed their attitude to bribes and corruption one iota.

But keep on dreaming..... It's the only hope for Thailand.

I'm hoping that in the end this will lead to a political revolution in Thailand. This will change things in Thailand for the better. It will be an end of the era where rampant corruption is accepted and ignored by the public. Every crook, no matter how powerful and influential he is, will be held accountable. I hope this current crisis will wake up a lot of people. It will be the end of ignorant "majority."

There'll be one on Thaivisa too, 50% will change nickname soon. :o

Edited by Tony Clifton

PAD is a large and powerful group. They should redirect their power and influence at improving the government instead of destroying it. There are many ways to expose and prevent corruption in the voting booths. If PAD could guarantee to people that no one would ever know how they voted, the vote buying would be a moot point. It would be great if PAD volunteered to help insure clean and free elections.

:o You think the current regime would ever let PAD volunteer in moritoring the elections? This gotta be a freaking joke of a suggestion.

Well, you seem pretty sure of that. Why not have PAD call the media and volunteer that if they can have 100% assurance from the government, the courts and the media that they will be able to monitor the elections, that they will stand down and go home. Nothing to lose, right?

I am just trying to come up with constructive suggestions.

Bangkok shuts down 435 schools

Permanent Secretary of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration Pongsakti Saemsan (พงศ์ศักติฐ์ เสมสันต์) has instructed all Bangkok schools to shut down for the time being, totaling 435 institutions. The suspension of operation will last until the situation returns to normal. Thammasart University has declared that only classes and lectures at it's Ta Prachan campus will continue.

Director of Educational Area 2 Bangkok Sayan Rungpahsak (สายัณห์ รุ่งป่าสัก) reiterated the declaration, stating that schools will be suspended for the time being by one day. He asked that all students return home promptly and for parents to retrieve their children.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 02 September 2008