Sometimes You Win, Sometime You Loose.

asiancup2007

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish some people would "unlearn" the word "since". e.g.

"I have lived in Thailand since 5 years." Er, pardon? Do you mean you've lived hear FOR 5 years?

Examples (thanks to "Google Custom Search"):

I married since 10 Years and have a daughter of 5years I’m since 5Years here
Working in Thailand for the last 14 years on a B visa. Married since 4 years
with thai wife and live here since 7 years
I'm here since 20 years so I'm not sure but
I wont point the finger at a Farang who lives here since ages but

mauer.gif

I really don't think that it's too much to ask of somebody to at least "have a go" at checking their posts, before posting.

The strange thing is that if these people who insist upon being lazy or "not having a go" at checking their posts were to be misunderstood, they would be the fist to bitch (complain).

Clear communication is not only necessary...it is critical in many ways. To those who are not "native speakers of English", no problem. To those who are "native speakers of English", no excuse. Go back to school. The learning curve is minor. As a matter of fact, learn from the "pedantic" few here...& be humble about it.

I grow tired of trying to "translate" many posts into English. If I can't translate it, I either do not reply, reply in a pedantic way or try to show how the post is not easily understood.

So, for you lazy bastards out there, FIX IT!!! And do it yesterday.

you do realise that most latin based language speakers that are not english, pronounce lose 'LOOOSE' and the french 'louse'

not everyone has perfect grammar, so they write it as they say it.

Little Goat, it is a matter of common courtesy to get it right, and to use uppercase when appropriate.

Along with the use of almost before unique. Nothing is almost unique. It is either unique or not.

And "most favourite" as used to describe a certain chat show (Oprah).

One that grates is the incorrect contraction of "should have" to "should of" (instead of "should've"), even my dad does it, but he's a bus driver so there's an excuse :o

I'm with elkangorito and the others who have absolutely zero problem with non-native speakers, but us natives should be careful with out spelloing and grmarrr :D

EDIT to fix spleeoig error

Edited by Crossy

I really don't think that it's too much to ask of somebody to at least "have a go" at checking their posts, before posting.

The strange thing is that if these people who insist upon being lazy or "not having a go" at checking their posts were to be misunderstood, they would be the fist to bitch (complain).

Clear communication is not only necessary...it is critical in many ways. To those who are not "native speakers of English", no problem. To those who are "native speakers of English", no excuse. Go back to school. The learning curve is minor. As a matter of fact, learn from the "pedantic" few here...& be humble about it.

I grow tired of trying to "translate" many posts into English. If I can't translate it, I either do not reply, reply in a pedantic way or try to show how the post is not easily understood.

So, for you lazy bastards out there, FIX IT!!! And do it yesterday.

those people

you do realise that most latin based language speakers that are not english, pronounce lose 'LOOOSE' and the french 'louse'

not everyone has perfect grammar, so they write it as they say it.

Little Goat, it is a matter of common courtesy to get it right, and to use uppercase when appropriate.

native english speaker deserve NO courtesy what so ever since they are the ones who in majority have learned less languages than non-english speakers.

They should just <deleted> and be glad that people are actually trying to get better so they don't have to learn 3 languages.

Help is at hand.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_...icle4698949.ece

Wy is there alwaze sum ijit wat wants to dum doun the langwaje so that lazy ijits can get away with pore speling? Wuns we hav the speling fixd, then we can also remove al the tences so that we only use three, just like Tailand. I used to be proud of being abel to rite korektly. Now he seems to think that kids hav beter things to do with there time. I can t kwite think of any at the moment, tho.

Many or most adult Americans, Brits, Canadians, Aussies, Kiwis, et al, were not taught their grammar or spelling well.

Too right PB, I didn't realise how little I knew about grammar until I learnt Spanish. Spelling I think I'm reasonably okay once I got over the i before e except after c except for the exceptions (that out number those that comply with the rule).

The culprits are usually too bloody lazy to use a spill chikker. :o

Problem with smell chequers is that they are no good if the misspelt word is also a word in itself, also no good if trying to type in English against an American spell checker. Some of the poor spelling comes from typos but I see posts from known native English speakers that use loosers when they really mean losers, there instead of their and here instead of hear.