Enjoy?

Nongwahyay

American English is just another dialect which Brits have long since accepted.

but american english cannot be understood by a lot of people who are not familiar with it.

try this: "we have a situation. there's a guy with an attitude with a two-by-four" :o

The funniest thing I ever heard was a New Yorker from the Bronx and a Yorkshireman, both the worse for

drink, trying to understand each other.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my modest British opinion there are far too many silly american expressions used here... such as "chilling out".... what a ridiculous expression!! But worst of all, in my modest opinion, is the (incorrect) usage of the expression "enjoy". If I´m not mistaken, the verb "to enjoy" requires an object...i.e. you enjoy something. It is incorrect to wish that someone "enjoy". Any other opinions on this totally insignificant topic????? :o

I hate the word 'like....'. as in 'it's like, well, yeah this guy came up and it was like he could have like gone over etc etc.

It all started in the US and if you hear young americans talking together they will say it about 10 times in every sentence. I think it is to stress something but sounds like (not used in the same context) a filler word, to pad out a sentence. It sounds awful. But now it seems that most native english speakers are now taking it up.

A minor irritant is the incorrect usage of 'already'.

For example: "Let's go already!" or "stop complaining already!"

Incorrect verb tense makes it sound silly.

I am not sure where it originated but seems to be cropping up more & more often in print & on tv.

I just wish it would just go away already. :o

Yeah, this would have to be a pet hate of mine too. The frequently used "alright, already" to indicate someone grasping another's point or having had their fill of moaning, bitching, whatever, just sounds moronic and illustrative of a complete inability to accurately use the language.

English, of whatever variety, is a living language and is continually enriched from a multitude of sources and we wouldn't really want it any other way. However, there is one particular word from the 'American' version that I don't 'enjoy' and that really grates with me. This is the word 'gotten' - aarrrgggghhhhh!!!! Is this, in fact, a word at all? Just doesn't seem right, somehow!

In my modest British opinion there are far too many silly american expressions used here... such as "chilling out".... what a ridiculous expression!! But worst of all, in my modest opinion, is the (incorrect) usage of the expression "enjoy". If I´m not mistaken, the verb "to enjoy" requires an object...i.e. you enjoy something. It is incorrect to wish that someone "enjoy". Any other opinions on this totally insignificant topic????? :o

Almost correct.

"Enjoy" is technically intransitive but you can bend it a little as in "The things I enjoy": but "Enjoy" alone should have an object or another

verb after it.

P.S. American English is just another dialect which Brits have long since accepted. Get over it.

Is '"enjoy" technically intransitive?? In your example, "the things I enjoy", the verb "enjoy" has an object, "the things (which)". In my opinion, grammatically incorrect expressions, such as this (i.e. "enjoy"), are brought into being by "hignoramuses", who have no idea, that there there are such things as intransitive and transitive verbs and that a transitive verb - such as "enjoy" - is always followed by an object (i.e. ...the meal/the film etc.). They coin an incorrect phrase, which is then adopted by other "hignoramuses" and in some cases they become widespread and are adopted by (dare I say ignorant....?) sections of society, despite the fact that they´re bastardizing the English language.

Now you can call me pompous, if you wish (whoever it was....)..... :D

Though the point you make about "enjoy" being transitive and requiring an object is correct, the object is in fact always inferred by the speaker, even if not actually spoken.

In the example of a waiter placing a dish down before a customer and simply saying "Enjoy", the words "your meal" are absent from the phrase but are always inferred, making the meaning entirely understandable to the party listening.

There are plenty of examples of single words or phrases in which absent words are inferred. Back home, guys checking out a hot lady would look at each other and say "I definitely would"; the absent and inferred words in this example being "have sexual intercourse with that fine specimen of womanhood"

Grammatical purists would indeed say that the inferred words needs to be spoken in order for the sentence to be correct; however, spoken language is flexible and open to adjustment provided both all parties involved acknowledge such revisions.

I wonder what silly German sayings the British would be using if it wasn't for those silly Americans coming in to save their ...uhhh... "<deleted>" years ago.... :o

Oh yeah, <deleted> were you in the Battle of Britain then?

They were ignoring the warnings they were given about Pearl Harbour that's where they were, they knew it was coming but.........doh!!

Assumptions, made.

As for the OP, once again, there are many accents in the UK.

I don't understand the noting of the word "enjoy" because in my entire life I've never heard it nor used it.

English, of whatever variety, is a living language and is continually enriched from a multitude of sources and we wouldn't really want it any other way. However, there is one particular word from the 'American' version that I don't 'enjoy' and that really grates with me. This is the word 'gotten' - aarrrgggghhhhh!!!! Is this, in fact, a word at all? Just doesn't seem right, somehow!

I believe "gotten" is but one example of an older English word which went over to the US with the early settlers, and then fell out of use in the UK. It is the irregular past participle of "get" in Middle English (rather like "write/written").

One other similar example of a word falling out of use is "Fall" meaning "Autumn". It replaced "Harvest" as the name of that season around the 16th century (as more people migrated to cities?), and is a contraction of "the fall of the year" - its nothing to do with leaves falling off trees apparently. I think "Autumn" replaced it in British English as it was considered fashionable to adopt expressions coming from French - in this case "Automne".

G

If you Scrolled down this Far, you're doin REALLY good! :o

I am a US Born American. I study not only One Language but Several, as well as the evolution and development of Dielects which are different from actual languages.

There is Slang in every language, and to Hate someone for the Slang they use is only justified by scrutinizing the context and the environment in which the Slang is being used. But judging someone simply based on the Slang they use, is usually not a good idea.

But getting back to the main points of the Original post, the term "Chillin Out" speicfically equates to Kwam Yen, or to Relax, and act Cool, or without problems. Such as in a Mellow way.

There are many Cultures throughout the world who Hate or Riducule others because of Slang or Dielect, it is a Tribal Defense mechanism in Psychology, which serves to preserve and divide one tribe from another.

In the US many Northerners Riducule the Southern Speech. The same kind of thing happens between Toyko Japanese, and the people of Okinawa. The same thing happens between people from Illocos Norte Philippines and people in the Visayas.

And there are many Americans who if the even SEE a Brit on TV will immediately change the Channel.

We all choose to decide for ourselves what is the Correct way to think and act.

I choose to Accept everyone, I might Mock a particular speech sometimes, but that is mostly in "Fun" where I actually admire the Cuteness of the way a person speaks. It is in an affectionate manner not with a hateful heart.

Those who think like that are more righteous I think.

I did not realize how often we USA speakers said gotten in the perfect tenses ("The Rorries have gotten a new Chevrolet"). I thought the Smithsons in London were more likely to say that the Heathwicks have gotten a new Humber Super Snipe. Americans stopped calling taverns pubs, but still think it daft to call a sedan a saloon.

Thai seems to have borrowed more words from Britlish than from Yankish. Lift, for example, and toilet being the entire room and not just the Crapper.

There was an interesting 10-part show by BBC/Discovery on the history of English. I found each episode fascinating.

One thing which has stuck with me is the names we give to certain animals and the meat derived from them.

For example, we tend a cow, but we eat beef. "Cow" comes via middle English from the pre-Germanic word "cu." "Beef" comes from the French word, "boef." After the Norman invasion, only the Normans and the rich English (who copied all things French)could afford to eat the meat, so the French word took over when used in the context of food. However, the poor English were the ones who tended the animals, so the word "cow" became standard when talking about the animal itself.

A Norman would say "Let's have beef tonight for super," while a Anglo-Saxon would say, "I have to move the cow to the other pasture."

I am not sure if this is really OT from the original post, but I find it intersting, at least.

a cell phone here is called a "handy".

Interesting. I was reviewing a tender from a Korean contractor a few years back and their term for a mobile phone was "Handy talky".

Willem king gret Gosfregð scirgerefan and ealle þa burhwaru binnan Lundene

freondlice. And ic beode eow þat ge on Lanfrances lande archbisceopes þe

gebyrað into Hergan ne mman ne heort ne hindan ne hran, ne ge nates hwon

ðærinne æig ðing huntian butan ðam he rylf bebyt oððe leofe togyfð.

I am sure glad the English language remains "pure" and unadulterated, free from ghastly American influence! :o

But that already was adulterated, the true English lies amonst the Celtic languages of our land.

When a British Airways Jet lands at Melbourne's International Airport - you can still hear the whines after the engines have stopped. That's how we know more pommies have arrived. The Brits are just pissed off cause the convicts came to Australia and they stayed in England. They realized they made a mistake :D:o

When a British Airways Jet lands at Melbourne's International Airport - you can still hear the whines after the engines have stopped. That's how we know more pommies have arrived. The Brits are just pissed off cause the convicts came to Australia and they stayed in England. They realized they made a mistake :D:o

And now that air transport finally arrived in that god forsaken desert region off SE Asia, we gotta put up with all those awfully sweaty ozzie bastards working in London getting the best experience to date of history and culture in the first couple of hours (and it takes an hour to get through immigration and an hour to reach central London). :Dicon12.gif

Edited by Tyke

And now that air transport finally arrived in that god forsaken desert region off SE Asia, we gotta put up with all those awfully sweaty ozzie bastards working in London getting the best experience to date of history and culture in the first couple of hours (and it takes an hour to get through immigration and an hour to reach central London). :Dicon12.gif

English + Culture :D

My favourite phrase - used in Germany by the "Tchermans" - is "Häppi Börsdey tuuuuu yuuuuuu..........." :D

zometimes vee Tchermanns vant to bee more british zan ze Britishers. oond zat applies espeshully to ze norzern Tchermanns living in or around ze zity of Hamburg :o

I´m late in replying... but anyhow........ yes, I´ve seen it used mainly as in "bon appetit", but cannot accept that "enjoy" should establish itself as the equivalent. Using it (incorrectly) in this manner would be as ludicrous as wishing somebody "Have a nice...." on a Friday afternoon when, of course "....weekend" would be implied.

I thought I´d seen "enjoy" used mainly by Americans but will not rule out that perhaps it was used by Brits.

And finally........ how did whoever it was get the idea from, that I´m "pompous"?????? I only expressed a simple opinion in a fairly courteous manner...... :o

Relax Nongwahyay --- occasionally our septic friends exhibit a little cultural cringe. The English language is becoming an international language......this explains its incorrect usage ! i suggest we revoke the usage rights. let them use french.

Relax Nongwahyay --- occasionally our septic friends exhibit a little cultural cringe. The English language is becoming an international language......this explains its incorrect usage ! i suggest we revoke the usage rights. let them use french.
tig, remind me: can Americans refer to the still whinging folks on that little, old, cold island as Shitish?

tig, remind me: can Americans refer to the still whinging folks on that little, old, cold island as Shitish?

Of course they can ! Septics seem to be able to do almost anything with the Queens language. I would still appreciate some response to my suggestion of forcing them to return our language ---- to allow them to use french. Our colonial armies were, after all, responsible for saving them from french domination.

I intend to deal with your rather cavalier use of the word "whinging " under a separate post ---dammed impertinent.

Of course they can ! Septics seem to be able to do almost anything with the Queens language. I would still appreciate some response to my suggestion of forcing them to return our language ---- to allow them to use french. Our colonial armies were, after all, responsible for saving them from french domination.

I intend to deal with your rather cavalier use of the word "whinging " under a separate post ---dammed impertinent.

This started out more or less as a fun thread, joking, even using dry Brit wit witout too much sarcasm. For all; I know, Australians may enjoy being called convicts. Many native citizens of the USA are offended by the term Yankee. I am offended by being called septic, and so I wondered if whinging Brits minded being called Shitish. Maybe your answer is that they do not mind, in which case I still will try not to call them that. We can cover whining, whinging, wining and dining later.

As for OUR jointly shared language, no single nation has owned English for centuries. Your Queen may speak whatever dialect she and her German cousins and Greek in-laws choose to speak. But she does not own any language. We North Americans will leave the mangling of French to the Quebecois, even though your armies killed their French. Your kings spoke French after 1066. Before 1066, they spoke a tongue not yet recognizable as English, plus their subjects spoke Celtic dialects, which some still speak.

Meanwhilst, you, the Singaporeans, and the Belizeans may do whatever you wish. There is no copyright on a living language.

This started out more or less as a fun thread, joking, even using dry Brit wit witout too much sarcasm. For all; I know, Australians may enjoy being called convicts. Many native citizens of the USA are offended by the term Yankee. I am offended by being called septic, and so I wondered if whinging Brits minded being called Shitish. Maybe your answer is that they do not mind, in which case I still will try not to call them that. We can cover whining, whinging, wining and dining later.

As for OUR jointly shared language, no single nation has owned English for centuries. Your Queen may speak whatever dialect she and her German cousins and Greek in-laws choose to speak. But she does not own any language. We North Americans will leave the mangling of French to the Quebecois, even though your armies killed their French. Your kings spoke French after 1066. Before 1066, they spoke a tongue not yet recognizable as English, plus their subjects spoke Celtic dialects, which some still speak.

Meanwhilst, you, the Singaporeans, and the Belizeans may do whatever you wish. There is no copyright on a living language.

I hope it is still fun. No one really cares what the Australians enjoy. Strange lot!

As for your dislike of "Yankee" ---- quite understandable. Sepitc derives from cockney rhyming slang ie: septic tank = yank

and i believe Yank is a term most from that country are comfortable with.

perhaps we can select a more fitting term. I suggest selecting from the poem on the base of the statue of liberty by the famous poet

Emma Lazarus .......... ( could make being called a convict feel good )

"Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

I heard they replaced Emma's poem with an ugly sign, "No Hispanics Need Apply." :o

Americans generally call themselves Americans, with little of the Scot/Brit/English/Welsh kind of debates. I was labeled as americano by a Mexican immigration officer on my application for a one-year visa. Emma may have been writing about some undesirable British refuse. But I wonder, after meeting non-English European immigrants working in the UK, how many UK residents speak the right language, properly? Considering the size of my country and population, we have far fewer regional dialects than the UK does, and ours are usually similar enough to be understood in other regions. I even understand my friend who migrated from Edinburgh at the age of 41.

I don't like some American slang words like "groovy" or "enjoy" in the way that it has been mentioned on this thread, but I also don't like the way that Aussies turn so many words into "baby" words (He is from "Brissie", instead of Brisbane, or, Put some shrimp on the "barbie", instead of barbeque. As for English rhyming slang, it sounds like something that mentally retarded convicts would come up with, and that seems to be pretty much the case. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.