Learning Thai Language In Pattaya

sotsira

Can anyone recommend a good Thai language learning centre suitable for farangs here in Pattaya.

Location and contact details appreciated if possible.

WorldWide TEFL - Thai courses + possible ED-visa

206/87. Moo 9, Soi Town in Town

off Central Pattaya Road

Nongprue, Pattaya City

Banglamung

20150 Chonburi

Tel 038-414861

[reason for edit url and email removed]

Can anyone recommend a good Thai language learning centre suitable for farangs here in Pattaya.

off Central Pattaya Road

Nongprue, Pattaya City

Banglamung

20150 Chonburi

Tel 038-414861

Thanks, much appreciated,

Anyone know of any others?

off Central Pattaya Road

Nongprue, Pattaya City

Banglamung

20150 Chonburi

Tel 038-414861

Thanks, much appreciated,

Anyone know of any others?

Pro Language on Pattaya Klang, exactly opposite Carrefour.

I am happy with the quality of the teachers. I went there primarily to learn to read (and write).

I found that the school- made books they used are getting quite hard in terms of vocab rather fast, e.g. at the end of the first book, big words are used to describe complex matters, whereas I would have kept it simple for longer, praticing more with simpler words and stories before using stories about the economy etc. So after having done the first and about a quarter of the second book, I came to a stage where I found articles for translation in the book that had so many words I didn't know that I started to feel a bit despondent about my progress.

BUt I discussed it with my teacher, and suggested we temporarily stop using their books, and use the Benjawan Poomsan Becker series. That proved quite a good step. I am reading my way through them out loud, covering up translation and primitive phonetics, My teacher listens, corrects my pronunciation, helps when I get stuck, and occasionally we stop for some conversation about something related to what i read. It helps with reading skills, as well as revising the rules.

I also began to copy entire pages of thai written exercises from that book, using my computer. This initially is slow, due to having to learn a new keyboard lay-out, but it is better for me then hand writing. It helps me become familiar with the characters, the order of the letters, and also startes me recognising words, rather then having to spell out every single word. My teacher will then correct the copied print-outs for spelling mistakes.

The fact they were so flexible rather then rigidly insisting on following their method made me happy, I am now looking forward to my lessons, and am motivated enough to spend several hours doing homework in between the lessons.

Maybe my situation is not the same as for others, I have been speaking a bit of Thai for some years, and learned quite a bit of Lao, including some script over the past few years (which in one way helps, but also confuses, since I don't always know if a word is same in thai as in lao, or different. My teacher, being Isan born, will understand my lao and correct if needed.

Someone who has little or no Thai may have a different view of their material. They also appear to have a set of books on thai conversational, but i haven't seen those.

Still have trouble with tones, i can hear them and imitate them, but cannot seem to remember the rules for pronunciation.

Maybe a handicap is that i live with my falang wife, and speak english with her most of the time, so have less opportunity to practice. I believe if one has a Thai partner it would greatly improve one's learning. However, I am assuming my wife wouldn't actually appreciate this

:o

I had a personal Thai teacher one on one who now has her own school on Soi 17 (Soi VC)

I'll PM you her contact number.

Cost I think is 10k or 12k for 20 lessons.

I had a personal Thai teacher one on one who now has her own school on Soi 17 (Soi VC)

I'll PM you her contact number.

Cost I think is 10k or 12k for 20 lessons.

Well, that sounds quite a bit. ProLanguage charges about 7 k for 20 lessons 1:1

Walen school of Thai is now in Pattaya! Telephone 038410526, or mob. 0817111900

We are situated in soi Yume on the side of Carrefour, 10 comfortable classrooms, 400 quare meters of space

Great teachers

Incredible method

Results guaranteed with every student

No karaoke Thai, easier than you think

Also in case you need asistance with ED (student) visa we will be able to help you for 1-5 years.

For the detailed map check our website http://www.thaiwalen.com/location.php

If you type 'Walen school' in google you will find a lot of information on our school, also the callan/walen thread on thaivisa.com is very informative.

We offer free demonstration of our method so feel free to come and visit us and you can decide later. Prices are very reasonable, for eaxample 30 lessons for 5,700 Baht including the book.

Regards, Walen School, Mac

A friend of mine (I am American) runs D&D Language Center in Jomtien Beach Condominiums. She is of Thai Descent, but grew up in Canada. She speaks very good English and excellent Thai. Not bad looking either. Her other teachers all speak very good English (One was a teacher with me at a Private International School) and are Thai.

Her rates are pretty reasonable I think 5 - 6 thousand Baht for 20 hour block.