Taxi Strike At Suvarnabhumi Airport

george

Some 300 taxi drivers block road to Suvarnabhumi Airport

SUVARNABHUMI: -- Some 300 taxi drivers block roads to Suvarnbhumi Airport on Thursday to protest police who they said arrested them for not using meters when being hired to go out of Bangkok.

The blockage of the roads to arrival and departure lounges which are on the second and fourth floors respectively forced many people both Thais and foreigners to get off their vehicles and walked to the lounges.

-- The Nation 2008--0-02

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They actually arrest them for not putting on the meter? Guess the odd 5+ drivers that wanna go off the meter down town every day is playing lottery with check-points...

(Have yet to see one driver be fined, even when inside one off the meter.)

Angry taxi drivers block roads to Suvarnabhumi Airport

BANGKOK: -- Some 300 taxi drivers block roads to Suvarnbhumi Airport on Thursday to protest police who arrested them for not using meters when being hired to go out of Bangkok.

The blockage of the roads to arrival and departure lounges which are on the second and fourth floors respectively forced many people both Thais and foreigners to get off their vehicles and walked to the lounges.

The taxi drivers claimed they did not have to use meters to go to areas out of Bangkok because rates of fees have been stipulated by land transport regulations..

Police said the taxi drivers were angry that they were arrested and fined for not using meters.

At the press time, Rachateva police are negotiating with representatives of the taxi drivers in order to open routes for passengers.

Land transport regulations specified rate for taxi to go to areas out of Bangkok or to other provinces. They did not have to use meters.

However some taxi drivers reportedly did not follow the regulations and demanded for high fees from passengers particularly foreigners.

One of their demands was that they should be allowed to negotiate fees with passengers who wanted to go out of the capital.

However a taxi driver who joined the rally claimed that a gang at the airport which he said had police as a member forced them to use meters or face arrest unless they paid tea money to the gang.

This is the fourth time that the angry taxi drivers blocked the road to protest the similar problems.

-- The Nation 2008-10-02

Some 300 taxi drivers block road to Suvarnabhumi Airport

SUVARNABHUMI: -- Some 300 taxi drivers block roads to Suvarnbhumi Airport on Thursday to protest police who they said arrested them for not using meters when being hired to go out of Bangkok.

-- The Nation 2008--0-02

I know, a lot of taxi drivers support a lot of families.

But, also a lot of, shall we say, less scrupulous people?

It is a bloody shame that entering Thailand from abroad, you have no connecting transport to Don Mueang or Bangkok that can be seen as convenient, clean, fast, etc.

The only choice you have is the "Airport-limousines" run by the people mentioned before, or the taxi service also run by the same people.

The first are overcharging you as a matter of principle, the latter you have to fight over switching on the meter so not to be overcharged.

And all touted to you by a whole regiment of guys and dolls not really looking very trustworthy.

There should have been a good rail service to Don Mueang or Bangkok ready when the airport opened, on the same day.

Or, a good, fast reasonably priced regular bus service.

It is shameful and an awful loss of face for Thailand for confronting visitors with these 4th world transport choices.

And it might be time to show the taxi operators, and maybe some drivers, that this is not the way to do it.

Lowering standards to keep the "less scrupulous people" in enough cash is not the way to go.

Making life hel_l for travellers is not the way to do things.

What will be happening if, or when, the rail link will be opened?

Blocking the lines?

Because be certain that lots of passemgers will choose for this transport, and forget about taxi's

It happened in very many airports in the world.

the airport is "cut off"... to an extent...

Suvarnabhumi diverts traffic to floor 1

Suvarnabhumi International Airport cut off the 2nd and 4th floor entrances since Thursday afternoon, following taxi drivers' blocking roads leading to the airport. General public and passengers are suggested to use the 1st floor entrance.

Suvarnabhumi International Airport's officials have declared that its 2nd and 4th floor entrances have been cut off.

They suggest people wanting to enter the airport use the 1st floor entrance.

Suvarnabhumi airport officials have asked for cooperation of travelers to divert their entry into the airport to the first floor following around 300 taxi drivers' blocking roads leading to the entrances for arrivals and departures on the 2nd and 4th floor on Thursday afternoon. Security officers were provided to assist in redirecting traffic around the airport's compound.

Taxi drivers' protested new Ministry of Transport's declaration dated June 18 to adjust transport fares. The declaration mandates that all taxi meters begin their services at 35 baht for the first kilometre with the rate adjusting to 8.50 baht per km. after 80 kms.

The declaration does not allow taxis to be rented out by passengers. Following Suvarnabhumi Airport's enforcement of the regulation, taxi drivers expressed their dissent by gatherings in protest against the new rule.

- ThaiNews / 2008-10-03

Edited by sriracha john

Have a friend arriving at 2:30 today. Arranged for a driver and car to pick him up and bring him to Cha Am as we can be a little hard to find. He called at 3:30 and said no driver had showed up. Told him to hold on while we called the guy we arranged the car with. Make a long story short after waiting about an hour for the driver he finally showed up we think. Suppose to be on the road. Nice ending to a 10 1/2 Hour flight. I was really pissed with the driver but after reading this realize it might not be his fault. Still waiting for him to arrive.

Because be certain that lots of passemgers will choose for this transport, and forget about taxi's

Desperate measures, because they know their time will soon be up.

As soon as the rail link is finished, taxis be damned. :o

It started out pretty good when the airport first opened. Now it has deteriated rapidly. Starting to get back to the days of Don Muang with nothing but vulters praying on passengers. It is such an awful first impression for first time visitors to the country. Don't the authorites realize the damage it cost's the country in the long run? I hate these sharks preying on me when I arrive.

Never happens in Kuala Lumpur or Singapore. Bangkok airport is more like something out of a bad movie.

Terrible!

A typical case of Som Nam Naa, personally I hope, that not only the taxi drivers, but also the mailmen, the service girls, the street sweepers and all others block the roads to airports. If you allow te PAD to get away with it, there is not a reason (other than Prem maybe) to stop any other group of people. This is what you get when you do not clean up the dirt. First government house needs to be retaken even when it breaks a few eggs and than te people responsible for the airport blockades in the South Arrested. Now anyone knows it is okay and they wil get attention.

Greedy Drivers, breaking the law, now crying fouling after the are caught :D:D Now we could get some real taxis and the rail link (ASAP) to Suvarnabhumi Airport up and running we all would be MUCH better off without these law breaking cry babies. :D:o

You won't catch me hauling my luggage through the Bangkok heat to get to a BTS station, ever.

Don't the authorites realize the damage it cost's the country in the long run? I

They surely do. But they do not care... because they share the proceeds ! :D

Since 5456545 years, at DM and then Suva, people speak about "airport taxis mafias".

And in 5644564 years from now, we'll still be talking about "airport taxis mafias".

It's called "progress" in thai. :o

You won't catch me hauling my luggage through the Bangkok heat to get to a BTS station, ever.

What about getting the raillink to the airport, not the BTS!

I wish you good luck, taxi for you!

I have flown in and out of Bangkok's international airports 2 or 3 times each year for the last 10 years and never had any problems with taxis. I always use the standard taxis with meter. Sometimes the driver asks if he should use the meter. I smile politely and say yes.

The replies on Thaivisa.com often give an unbalanced view.

Just one question:

The average rate to Pattaya is 1500 Baht (without turning on the meter).

Does anybody know how much the meter rate wud be ?

Last time I went from Bangkok to Pattaya the taxi driver put on the meter. We had agreed on 1500 Baht fair so the meter was only on for intrest, I paid the highway toll, the meter was at about 1400 baht when we arrived at our hotel.

I live in Bangphlat and it is 250 baht from the airport to home. From my home to Pattaya was about 1400 Baht on the meter, so by me calculation going by meter from my home to Pattaya would cost more, from the airport it would be a little bit less, maybe 1200 Baht by meter, Oh when we came home we got a taxi from Pattaya to home in Bangphlat for 1200 Baht and the driver paid the highway tolls.

FD :o

Not difficult...In the future...just take a short taxi trip, if needed, either to the nearest airport rail line station or nearest BTS station...then you're good to go from there... no dragging luggage around...

Hard to say this much in advance...but going taxi direct to the nearest airport rail line station probably will be better....because most BTS stations and gates are not particularly friendly for folks carrying either large suitcases or a lot of them... But, I'm assuming the airport line will be set up to better accommodate luggage...since that's its purpose....whereas BTS really is more for inner city commuting.

I'm not so sure about that. OK, so you get the train to Makkasan Station and get your bags down to street level. Next you want to go to a hotel in one of the lower Sukhumvit Rd sois, so what do you do? you call a taxi and load your bags in !! At certain times of the day Petchburi Rd, Ratchada Rd. Asoke, Sukhumvit Rd, and Soi 3 are traffic choked. It could take longer to get to your hotel from Makkasan Station (which is a little further North than Petchburi) than it does to get from the airport to the station. IMO many people will still choose the taxi from the airport straight to their hotel option.

I have a neighbor he runs a private Taxi service from the Airport i.e. no meter.

Charges 4000 BHT to Pattaya! runs there and back 3-4 times per day.

Once asked him to pick up a friend expecting to get a special price,

he quoted me 3800 so of course I told him to park his Taxi somewhere and went myself.

But he didn't care cos he always finds some new be Tourist willing to pay.

It started out pretty good when the airport first opened. Now it has deteriated rapidly. Starting to get back to the days of Don Muang with nothing but vulters praying on passengers. It is such an awful first impression for first time visitors to the country. Don't the authorites realize the damage it cost's the country in the long run? I hate these sharks preying on me when I arrive.

Never happens in Kuala Lumpur or Singapore. Bangkok airport is more like something out of a bad movie.

Terrible!

you are joking right?? KL is an absolut nightmare for taxi scammers. Have you ever been to KL?. Give me BKK taxis over KL anyday...

"Bad first impression", "worst tourism", "need rails" - what are you talking about? If "cheap" - your second name, if you like to "fight to switch on the meter", why don't you use buses? 120 baht to Pattaya, even cheaper to BKK. Or you just enjoying fighting with taxists?

Edited by samlowry

Just back from the LOS and amazed how the taxi drivers want to charge 450baht from the airport to nana area.

I pay on average 200 baht on the meter plus express way charge of 70 baht and i will tip 50 baht.

Going to pattaya in june cost me 1500baht and that was the quote from the taxi stand and i found a taxi for 800Baht for the return, so just shows.

The police were checking the taxis on wednesday night at 11pm

Malc