The Journey Has Begun........

Will27

Greetings fellow members/readers,

I'm a long time viewer and first time poster.

Firstly, I would like to thank all of the contributers

that I have gained invaluble information from in the past.

I arrived a few weeks ago with the Thai wife.

Intend to stay for 12 to 18 months and see if we

both enjoy it and more importantly, will be able to

afford to relocate if we do.

I haven't burnt my bridges and being a Public Servant

from Western Australia, have managed to have 18 months

leave on half pay. So still have a job to go back to if I have to.

Managed to find a nice condo in Chang Klan Rd and settled in

last week. A bit small (65SQM) for my liking but nicely fitted out.

I applied for a Non-Immigrant "O" visa but was given a "B" visa (don't ask)

with mutiple entries for 12 months. Am still unsure whether or not I have

to report to Thai Immigration. Thought I could just do visa runs, probably

Mai Sai.

It is my 4th time to Chiang Mai but previous visits were just the usual 1 month

holiday. So I'm still in holiday mode at the moment.

I can get used to the 20 Baht Pad Thai and 50 Baht Tiger beers. I must say that

the mosquito's are killing me though.

Not a great time to try the move with the Aussie dollar dying in the clacker.

Having said that, it at least makes me aware of having a contingency plan and

how much you actually need to live here. All the budgeting and research isn't

the same as doing it though.

Anyway, just thought I would contribute my first post and will keep you updated

on the journey if you're interested.

Regards

Will

ps any clarification on the reporting or not would be helpful.

And I have researched the forum.

Hi Will, welcome to Chiang Mai.

If your Non Imm B was issued outside Thailand you will have to do border runs, if issued by immigration here you can do the 90 day sign on.

Thanks for that mate.

I know I have to do the border run but do

I also have to report to Immigration?

Will

Hi Will, welcome to Chiang Mai.

If your Non Imm B was issued outside Thailand you will have to do border runs, if issued by immigration here you can do the 90 day sign on.

Thanks for that mate.

I know I have to do the border run but do

I also have to report to Immigration?

Will

Hello Will,

First of all :o to Chiang Mai.

With your 1 year Non-B Visa, you have to do the border run (usually Mae Sai is the easiest) every 90 days. If you do that you DO NOT need to report to the Immigration Office in CM.

Enjoy your stay :D

Hi Will,

I know you said "don't ask", but how did you end up with a "B" visa when you applied for an "O"? What tripped you up?

My hubby and are are long-time forum lurkers, too. We've spent the past two years shutting down our business and getting rid of our stuff. We're coming to Chiang Mai in mid November and don't plan to use the return tickets. Seems like a good time to be leaving the U.S.

We're ready to apply for retirement visas. Hubby's been handling most of the research, so I don't know the correct terminology. But, I've had an active role in rounding up all the supporting documentation. Yesterday we realized we'd actually herded all the cats into one room. Every document we've requested is there -- the criminal checks, doctors' certifications, verification of pension income, verification of bank balances, etc, etc. all nicely notarized. Now we have to get all the cats lined up in correct order and expressed off to the Chicago Consulate, along with our passports. (Am I the only one who's nervous about letting her passport out of her grip? Hubby says there's no point in going to Chicago; they won't process our application while we wait.)

So, what have we overlooked? Did you apply for the O visa only to find a B visa when the Thai Embassy/Consulate returned your passport?

Also, how did you locate your condo? 65 sq meters sounds ideal for us. We have reservations at a long-stay hotel thru the end of the year. We figured we'd look for longer-term housing once we arrive in Chiang Mai.

Hi Will,

I know you said "don't ask", but how did you end up with a "B" visa when you applied for an "O"? What tripped you up?

My hubby and are are long-time forum lurkers, too. We've spent the past two years shutting down our business and getting rid of our stuff. We're coming to Chiang Mai in mid November and don't plan to use the return tickets. Seems like a good time to be leaving the U.S.

We're ready to apply for retirement visas. Hubby's been handling most of the research, so I don't know the correct terminology. But, I've had an active role in rounding up all the supporting documentation. Yesterday we realized we'd actually herded all the cats into one room. Every document we've requested is there -- the criminal checks, doctors' certifications, verification of pension income, verification of bank balances, etc, etc. all nicely notarized. Now we have to get all the cats lined up in correct order and expressed off to the Chicago Consulate, along with our passports. (Am I the only one who's nervous about letting her passport out of her grip? Hubby says there's no point in going to Chicago; they won't process our application while we wait.)

So, what have we overlooked? Did you apply for the O visa only to find a B visa when the Thai Embassy/Consulate returned your passport?

Also, how did you locate your condo? 65 sq meters sounds ideal for us. We have reservations at a long-stay hotel thru the end of the year. We figured we'd look for longer-term housing once we arrive in Chiang Mai.

Hi

We moved here in Jan this year from uk,stayed in hotel for 2 wks went to one of the many

estate agents,rented a nice house for 18,000 B per month without any problems .We are well intigrated into the thai way of living now and just wish we had done it years ago.Hope everything goes well for you when you arrive try the Ex Pats Meetings at the Shangri La Hotel .

Hi Will,

Hi

We moved here in Jan this year from uk,stayed in hotel for 2 wks went to one of the many

estate agents,rented a nice house for 18,000 B per month without any problems .We are well intigrated into the thai way of living now and just wish we had done it years ago.Hope everything goes well for you when you arrive try the Ex Pats Meetings at the Shangri La Hotel .

Hi Will,

Hi

Thanks for the kinds words.

I have tried the buffet at the Shangri La Hotel. Despited mixed reviews on the form, I thought it was excellent.

Will

First of all :o to Chiang Mai. Seconded !

With your 1 year Non-B Visa, you have to do the border run (usually Mae Sai is the easiest) every 90 days. If you do that you DO NOT need to report to the Immigration Office in CM.

Confirmed. The re-entry 're-sets' the clock on 90-day-reporting to zero.

Another Ozzie fleeing the Ruddism engulfing Australia before he sell the country to his Chinese speaking brothers.

:o

I'm in Changklan road as well.

Look forwarding to bumping in to you somewhere.

You'll need to do the visa run to Mai Sai every 60 or 90-day (depends if you opt for the high priced monthly extension from immigration or not).

I just did the run last week. The Green Bus company service is great. Chiang Mai to Mai Sai by air con bus Bt241. It gets there at about 2pm. Jump a Bt15 Song-taew to the immigration check point. $US10 to cross in to Burma. One hour wandering around the markets (honestly it's long enough) to get some good priced alcohol.

Grab a Song-taew back to to the bus station for the same price. Jump a local non-aircon bus (lots of roof fans though) back to Chiang Rai for Bt39 and then on to the 5.45pm aircon Green bus back to Chiang Mai for Bt191.

Enjoy.

John