Where Can I Buy Quality American Groceries?

DegenFarang

Anyone suggesting Tesco and Carrefoure simply hasnt got a clue... sorry but you dont. Paragon is the best, one that wasnt mentioned was the grocery store in Central Chitlom (not the food hall, there is actually a pretty big grocery store), its pretty good but expensive like the rest. Did anyone mention the giant grocery store at Central world on the top flloor? I havent browsed it enough to judge its stock but it looks like Paragon quality. I bought a kick ass fridge and a small 30 litre Japanese oven so have been grocery shopping all the time now hehe, I make a great chilli con carne, roast chicken dinner with stuffing and ham, turkey and pastrami sandwiches loaded with old cheddar and imported tomatoes and pickles..... oh I getting hungry again.

I guess your clueless comment was directed at me. Well obviously you have not seen the foreign food sections at these two places, granted they are not large but at least they are all in one place. Certainly not my first choice when looking for imported food but they do have some.

Now go eat your chili con carne and sit in the corner. :o

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quality American food. Isn't that an oxymoron?

Coming from a man who's ID here is "Vegas"????? :o

Seems Mr V has unique first hand knowledge on the subject and I for one am willing to take his word for it. That being said, I like a good 14 oz rib-eye on the bbq.

[ Well obviously you have not seen the foreign food sections at these two places, granted they are not large but at least they are all in one place. Certainly not my first choice when looking for imported food but they do have some.

Agree, actually - well certainly with Carrefour Rama IV. They've got a pretty good section at the back near the fridge cabinets where we buy instant risotto, imported cornichons, fancy biscuits, Indian pastes, Ceres orange juice (not sugary), Japanese curry, various dried foods and so on. Not a huge range, but a couple of aisles and enough goodies to blow your budget.

I just came back from grocery shopping at the Villa Market Sukhumvit Soi 11, and WOW, some kind of BIG shipment must have just arrived. Because right now, they seem better and more fully stocked than almost any time I can remember in the past year.

I don't know if all the different Villa's get their new stocks at the same time from a central warehouse, or if it varies by store location. I'd assume they are supplied from a central point in BKK. So it may well be that other Villas are similarly replenished right now.. Anyone have any experience at other locations of late???

In any event, to the OP, among other things, they had a couple of cases of pretty good avocados (Thai version) on display in the produce section... I've been thinking a lot of avocados lately after a friend and his Thai wife here in BKK treated me lately to some homemade guacamole. She fixed it herself under his direction, and it was excellent.

On a side note, I was out to lunch today at La Casa Italian restaurant on Sukhumvit near Soi 12 and had a very good real crab and real avocado salad for lunch for about 250 baht... I asked my Thai companions, "what's the Thai word for avocado?".. and they said..."there isn't" a Thai word for that vegetable... And...as far as I can tell, it's not used anywhere in Thai cooking.

Anyway, back to Villa, right now, they have fresh half gallons of Florida's Natural OJ (not the crappy, sugary stuff offered by Malee and Tipco), all kinds of baking and flours and cereals, canned Rosarita frijoles, and more and more...

As an aside, in the produce section, they also had full-length bundles of fresh aparagus for 22 baht apiece. Usually, they have the packages of the cut tips for a similar price. Today I saw the full length fresh spears.

Needless to say, I blew my food shopping budget for the month...but came home happy.

:o:D

Avocado is supposed to be in a lot of the Sushi rolls, especially the "california" ones. Might be able to get a word of it from one of them. I will make a note to check when I am there.

Wrong!!! That's not even a difficult one in terms of BKK food shopping...

Villa Markets, and others as well, carry a variety of non-dairy fluid milks...typically in the non-refrig carton packaging.

First, thanks for that info...helpful. But I was referring to dairy milk (Lactaid).

I would think the best place to find it is in America, not Thailand.

Reminds me of one guy I saw sitting in Ozzie BBQ restaurant at Siam bit*hing to the poor waitress, "You don't have Budweiser, why not?!"

How do you know he wasn't looking for the original Budweiser?

I bought some in BKK once.

Some aggressive folks on this thread...

I live on Jaransinitwong (in Thonburi not far from Sirirat) and have a Makro and Foodland very close to each other (soi 35 / 37). At Makro you never know what's gonna pop up, sometines you're lucky and come across something special (nice frozen cumberland sausages and rib eye steak [nice by Thai standards & only 150 baht for 4 biggish 'uns] were picked up by me this week).

The Foodland has an 'American Food Fortnight' going on until the 30th. I picked up some Meixcan / Southern style ready meals from Hormet (some American brand) as well as turkey and stuffing), NZ lamb etc - again it's pot luck, sometimes you come across good stuff. Until the 30th they have more American food than usual - not top notch deli standards, but some opions. The op might want to have a look. I spent a few thousand baht on filling the shelves / freezer with stuff I hadn't seen in Bkk before.

Bangkok is not good for American deli stuff, I'm a bit surprised by the OP's attitude cause Villa is very near the top of the list here ( I make a monthly visit for the Branston Pickle and scotch eggs alone!)

I also find the au bon pain stuff edible, but that's probably because I haven't eaten 'proper' western food for the last 6 years other than a couple of trips to Laos.

Reminds me of one guy I saw sitting in Ozzie BBQ restaurant at Siam bit*hing to the poor waitress, "You don't have Budweiser, why not?!"

Yum yum, proper Czech beer (if you mean the original Budweiser).

Yup, original indeed. Found it in Siam Center .. several years ago.:o

It is fashionable to talk garbage about American Bud, but it is very similar to Heineken and tastes good enough ice cold.

however, if you like warm English piss, you can pass on it. :o

Well not quite up the standards of the redneck from that old James Bond movie where he looks at the Thai elephant and says "boy, you ugly" and the elephant procedes to spray water over him, the gentleman in question was undoubtably a tourist. Most expats from the US here would know better than to say loudly what I wrote above. At least I hope it's the case.

It is fashionable to talk garbage about American Bud, but it is very similar to Heineken and tastes good enough ice cold.

I like American things; Halle Berry, Dell computers, Japan and Molson are but a few examples. I do agree that American Bud is considerably better than any beer that's regularly available here. Some people will claim that Leo / Chang are better, but not for me. If Bud was available here I'd buy it copiously, though if Czech Budweiser or Budvar were available I'd buy more... Sometimes Miller is available at Makro, and I buy that too (here come the insults...)

I like American things; Halle Berry, Dell computers, Japan and Molson are but a few examples. I do agree that American Bud is considerably better than any beer that's regularly available here. Some people will claim that Leo / Chang are better, but not for me. If Bud was available here I'd buy it copiously, though if Czech Budweiser or Budvar were available I'd buy more... Sometimes Miller is available at Makro, and I buy that too (here come the insults...)

Molson is American?

why would anybody insult you because you prefer to drink heavily watered down horse piss instead of beer? :D it's your choice and nobody elses business! :o

Chang (which is also not good beer) over Bud any day. I hate Bud. Not what I would consider quality American food. Chang is chemically but at least it tastes like something. BTW, I think McCain's rich lady thang is the Budweiser beer heiress, in other words, rich beyond description, another reason to avoid, how many houses does he need, hopefully not the white one?

Edited by Jingthing

Chang (which is also not good beer) over Bud any day. I hate Bud. Not what I would consider quality American food. Chang is chemically but at least it tastes like something. BTW, I think McCain's rich lady thang is the Budweiser beer heiress, in other words, rich beyond description, another reason to avoid, how many houses does he need, hopefully not the white one?

Using that logic, I guess John Kerry's Mrs didn't qualify in the last election as her Ketchup is of the Heinz (another poor family I hear) variety. :o

Molson is American?

I threw in a little joke for you (linked into the bud / Czech idea). :D (My Dell was made in Malaysia, but that was a joke link from another thread...)

why would anybody insult you because you prefer to drink heavily watered down horse piss instead of beer? :D it's your choice and nobody elses business! :D

I knew it'd wind up somebody, but I expected better from our in-house moneymeister. (I don't know why I expected better, in several years of sharing this forum you've only ever insulted my comments - swineahunta :o )

I suppose you prefer Archer or Leo :D

Using that logic, I guess John Kerry's Mrs didn't qualify in the last election as her Ketchup is of the Heinz (another poor family I hear) variety
I don't follow you, Heinz ketchup is good ketchup but Bud beer is piss.

First piece of advice, don't consume Bud while on TV.

Re Kerry's wife = Heinz heiress=rich bitch aka same a John McRambo's wife = too rich for the white house.

Using that logic, I guess John Kerry's Mrs didn't qualify in the last election as her Ketchup is of the Heinz (another poor family I hear) variety
I don't follow you, Heinz ketchup is good ketchup but Bud beer is piss.

Have you tried Heinz pasta sauce products here Jingthing? Yuk :o

It is trendy to slag of Bud, but it's drinkable - it's not that bad. I like the ChangDraft in kwots, but the normal stuff is awful - all but undrinkable. It's like prefering Mrs T (Thai version) to Halle Berry!

Different strokes for different folks...

Have you tried Heinz pasta sauce products here Jingthing? Yuk

No, I wouldn't dare but their ketchup is a standard if you like ketchup. Not very healthy though, full of corn syrup.

On a more serious note, does that rug your wearing in the photo on your profile look more natural after I have had a few Buds?