How Can I Avoiding Two Visa Runs Within Two Weeks?

[EDIT: gonna go ahead and point out the awesomely blaring grammar blunder in the post topic. That's right, I'm planning to TEACH English!]

Firstly, apologies if this is covered: I've scoured the forums all day without finding an optimal strategy for my situation. Second, I kind of enjoy reading through Thai Visa discussions, esp the really complicated ones... So I'll try to format this like a problem set. Western Universities ought to grant degrees in "Thai Visa Issues".

Background: I'm 23/USA on a my first 30-day exemption stamp after riding out two months on a Tourist Visa. I just extended this stamp for 7 days at the CM IMM. Office to buy some time.

Now: I was recently hired at University in Chiang Mai for a part-time teaching position, so it's time to get a Non-Imm B and then worry about a work permit.

Issue: My now 37-day stamp is up this coming Saturday, the 18th, but the employer won't have their invitation of employment ready (supposedly) for 2+ weeks.

Outlook: My first thought is that I will have to do at least two runs to the border in the coming month, one immediately, and at least one involving a stop at a nearby consulate for the Imm-B.

Solutions:

a. One trip: hit up a consulate outside Thailand now, go for 60-day tourist visa that I would then be able to convert to a Non-Imm B at the IMM Office in Chiang Mai (pending I observe the 21-day policy). This is quite a haul from Chiang Mai to Vientiane, for instance?

b. Two trips: make a 30-day exemption stamp run to a border nearby Chiang Mai (e.g. Mae Sae), then another trip outside Thailand to do the Non-Imm B run when my documents are ripe and ready?

c. ?????

Contingencies and questions: Can you start the Work Permit application while on a 30-day Exemption stamp or do you need at least a Tourist Visa (if not an Non-Imm) to get that rolling? This would eliminate solution B above.

Teaching starts early November--eep. Thank anyone who reads and tries to help.

Edited by joeyoeyey

Background: I'm 23/USA on a my first 30-day exemption stamp after riding out two months on a Tourist Visa. I just extended this stamp for 7 days at the CM IMM. Office to buy some time.

Now: I was recently hired at University in Chiang Mai for a part-time teaching position, so it's time to get a Non-Imm B and then worry about a work permit.

Issue: My now 37-day stamp is up this coming Saturday, the 18th, but the employer won't have their invitation of employment ready (supposedly) for 2+ weeks.

Outlook: My first thought is that I will have to do at least two runs to the border in the coming month, one immediately, and at least one involving a stop at a nearby consulate for the Imm-B.

Solutions:

a. One trip: hit up a consulate outside Thailand now, go for 60-day tourist visa that I would then be able to convert to a Non-Imm B at the IMM Office in Chiang Mai (pending I observe the 21-day policy). This is quite a haul from Chiang Mai to Vientiane, for instance?

b. Two trips: make a 30-day exemption stamp run to a border nearby Chiang Mai (e.g. Mae Sae), then another trip outside Thailand to do the Non-Imm B run when my documents are ripe and ready?

Contingencies and questions: Can you start the Work Permit application while on a 30-day Exemption stamp or do you need at least a Tourist Visa (if not an Non-Imm) to get that rolling? This would eliminate solution B above.

The non immigrant B application requirements are different for teachers. You only need a non immigrant visa to pick up your work permit, you don't need any specific visa to apply.

Here is a list of the required documents Non immigrant visa category B check out section 2.4.

If you can't get the papers sorted in time, then I think option a. looks more attractive (convert a tourist visa to non immigrant status at immigration)

So it is indeed possible to convert my Tourist Visa to a Non-Imm B teaching visa? I suppose necessary documents would include my receipt for a work permit? So I would begin my work permit application asap, get my Tourist Visa, and then when the receipt + teaching invitation are ready, I would then go to convert the visa at Chiang Mai Immigration?

Next, I have read the BKK office might do this--is there precedent for the Chiang Mai Imm Office doing this?

Finally, given that I have been accepted for the teaching position at the Uni, are the financial/paperwork hurdles of converting a Tourist to a Non-Imm potentially greater than doing two separate Visa runs (option :o.

Solutions:

The non immigrant B application requirements are different for teachers. You only need a non immigrant visa to pick up your work permit, you don't need any specific visa to apply.

Here is a list of the required documents Non immigrant visa category B check out section 2.4.

If you can't get the papers sorted in time, then I think option a. looks more attractive (convert a tourist visa to non immigrant status at immigration)

You would need all the doucement needed for an extension of stay. That is not only a WP and a letter from the school. But a lot of the papers you need will be the same as you will need for the WP. Your employer should know how to do the paperwork and you can always contact both labour office and immigration.

For the conversion you will have no problems at Chiang Mai.