Taking Photos Of Thai Royalty

wedders

Just a caveat for the blissfully unaware out there ... there I was strolling through the Sunday market tonight, taking random photos, when I found myself in the middle of a crowd of 50 or so police officers of various ranks. Ok I thought, perfect opportunity for an interesting snap or two. Bad idea.

Reason for the police presence, it transpired, was the lady clad in white hidden in the middle of the bunch - who the officers immediately assumed I was taking photos of (I wasn't, hadn't a clue who she was, hadn't even spotted her at the time).

Tallish farangs resembling paparazzi with very large cameras stand out a little even in the Sunday market. Surrounded, I was told in no uncertain terms "No photo!" "No take!" Fortunately I was able to show that I only had some snaps of everything but the lady in question who, it seems, was the youngest daughter of His Majesty the King, Her Royal Highness Princess Chulabhorn.

Ironically after I had just about escaped with my liberty, several Thais down the road were showing each others' successful pictures taken on their little cameras and mobiles :o .

But just in case it should happen to you, photos are not allowed, it seems.

Edited by wedders

Ah, I did wonder, no problem if that's the case. Must take a closer look at the rules and regs sometime.

Your topic title is correct, been there done that. :o However forum rules prevent discussing the Royal family and will have to close this topic.