Us Citizen, I Want A Retirement Visa. What's Best Route?

I am a US citizen, 64 years old, have been doing visa runs for a while, also getting 60 day tourist visas then 30 day extentions, etc. A friend told me it's not so difficult to get the retirement visa so i dont have to bother with visa runs.

Will i have to leave thailand to get this visa? Is there another type of visa I have to get first before i get the retirement visa? Is it more or less complicated for US citizens to get retirement visa here? Can i do the paperwork on my own or is it better to use a visa service place? If i use a visa service, what's the fair price to pay?

Thanks !

First you need to state your financial qualifications.

Are you collecting social security and/or another pension?

Is this total income over 65K baht per month?

Can you transfer in over 800K baht into Thailand? (an alternative if you have no income)

Answer these questions and you will get more precise advice for your situation. Being an American makes no difference, except that the USA is one of the countries where you can get the O-A visa (in the USA) but you don't need to do it this way.

Edited by Jingthing

Easy to get you can do it yourself. You can even do it with a tourist visa by doing a visa status change to a non-o which costs 2000 baht.

65,000 baht income per month prove by getting an affidavit from the US conulate. Or 800,000 baht deposited in a Thai bank for 3 months and certified by a letter from bank. A combination of money in bank and income that equals 800,000 baht (in this case money does not need to be in bank for 3 months).

See 7.21 on page 10 of police order.

Link to police order: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/2notice/rtp606EN.pdf

Edited by ubonjoe

Can you transfer in over 800K baht into Thailand? (an alternative if you have no income)

Answer these questions and you will get more precise advice for your situation. Being an American makes no difference, except that the USA is one of the countries where you can get the O-A visa (in the USA) but you don't need to do it this way.

Yes, I currently get a pension over 65,000 baht per month, and if needed I could open the account with 800,000 baht. Is there a thread here with step by step instructions how to do this? thanks to all

At this moment in time. What is your Immigration status?

Tourist, 30 day stamp, Non Imm O ?

now i have a Tourist 60 day visa; never had non imm O or any other kind of visa. the only other kind of stays/entries i've had are some 30 day visas on arrival, and some 30 day extentions i got at Phuket immigration office.

now i have a Tourist 60 day visa; never had non imm O or any other kind of visa. the only other kind of stays/entries i've had are some 30 day visas on arrival, and some 30 day extentions i got at Phuket immigration office.

Ok. If you have at least 21 days remaining on your tourist visa stay.

Pop down to Immigration with (a) a letter from your bank showing 800,000 Baht in your account. OR A letter from your Embassy verifying your 65,000 Baht a month pension.

They will give you a Non Imm O Visa. 2000 Baht fee.

Two months later go back to Immigration with the same things and apply for a years extension for retirement. 1,900 Baht fee.

They will give you 12 months. You will then have to go to Immigration to report your address every 90 days.

If you do not have 21 days stay remaining do a Visa Run and go to Immigration within 7 days.

Ok. If you have at least 21 days remaining on your tourist visa stay.

Pop down to Immigration with (a) a letter from your bank showing 800,000 Baht in your account. OR A letter from your Embassy verifying your 65,000 Baht a month pension.

They will give you a Non Imm O Visa. 2000 Baht fee.

Two months later go back to Immigration with the same things and apply for a years extension for retirement. 1,900 Baht fee.

They will give you 12 months. You will then have to go to Immigration to report your address every 90 days.

If you do not have 21 days stay remaining do a Visa Run and go to Immigration within 7 days.

What and how does the embassy issue you a letter verifying your pension. I have read/seen/heard many different stories about this issue. What is the latest thinking?

In particular, i have heard that if it is Social Security... it is pretty much a no brainer... but if it is a pension plan from a private company... the question could arise... will the company even be in business next year!!!! given current economy conditions... a fair question.

Lastly... what is the "exact" proof that the embassy requires for this?

thanks

zippydedodah

The letter stating your income is a simple form letter which you fill out yourself at the ACS office of the American Embassy.

There is no proof of any sort required, but they do give a spiel to you before they notarize it that says along the lines of; "IF you knowingly provide false information and it comes back on you in a bad way, you're screwed."

They really don't give two shits what you put on the paper, and they charge the 1020 baht NOT to guarantee the facts are correct but for the notary stamp.

What and how does the embassy issue you a letter verifying your pension. I have read/seen/heard many different stories about this issue. What is the latest thinking?

In particular, i have heard that if it is Social Security... it is pretty much a no brainer... but if it is a pension plan from a private company... the question could arise... will the company even be in business next year!!!! given current economy conditions... a fair question.

Lastly... what is the "exact" proof that the embassy requires for this?

thanks

zippydedodah

You will have to get the Embassy letter every year.

You appear to be American. The US Embassy do not require any proof. You swear your income under oath.

Immigration know this and occasionally want to see proof of your pension/income.

As usual it is up to each individual Immigration Office what they require.

The following link is for the consulate. It has contact info, openting hours and etc. Also info about the appointment system. An appointment is not mandatory but saves a lot of time because you don't have to take a number.

You fill out the blanks on the form and swear an oath that it is true and correct. The income can be from any source.

Link: http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service.html

Some immigration offices ask everbody to see a bank book with transfers and some money in bank. But a letter from bank is not needed.

The following link is for the consulate. It has contact info, openting hours and etc. Also info about the appointment system. An appointment is not mandatory but saves a lot of time because you don't have to take a number.

You fill out the blanks on the form and swear an oath that it is true and correct. The income can be from any source.

Link: http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service.html

Some immigration offices ask everbody to see a bank book with transfers and some money in bank. But a letter from bank is not needed.

Thanks to all of you who replied - this is GREAT news. Yes, i am american and my pension will be coming from CalPers. Not having to "prove" that CalPers will be in business next year will be a relief...

this place rocks!

zippy

Hi Everyone,

My first post. I been visiting Thai Visa for a few years but only view post. I appreciate all the info everyone provides. I am currently getting paper work for my O-A Visa together. I am planning on retiring there from Hawaii in January and get a condo with my wife in Bangkok.

Welcome to ThaiVisa as a registered member

:o

Another member posted recently about getting his retirement visa (non-immigrant visa category O-A) from the Thai consulate in Hawaii. You will find the procedure quite easy and straight-forward.

--

Maestro

I am a US citizen, 64 years old, have been doing visa runs for a while, also getting 60 day tourist visas then 30 day extentions, etc. A friend told me it's not so difficult to get the retirement visa so i dont have to bother with visa runs.

Will i have to leave thailand to get this visa? Is there another type of visa I have to get first before i get the retirement visa? Is it more or less complicated for US citizens to get retirement visa here? Can i do the paperwork on my own or is it better to use a visa service place? If i use a visa service, what's the fair price to pay?

Thanks !

I am not sure I am inserting this correctly ...But I am a Canadian 66 yrs of age looking to retire in Thailand within the next year and when I here someone ask do you have 65,000 baht per month income I see red flags ...what happened to the 40,000 baht monthly income required ....I can qualify the 800,000 baht req'd but 65,000 baht a month ???..Why do the qualifying requirements keep changing like we change our underwear......rcb1011

I am not sure I am inserting this correctly ...But I am a Canadian 66 yrs of age looking to retire in Thailand within the next year and when I here someone ask do you have 65,000 baht per month income I see red flags ...what happened to the 40,000 baht monthly income required ....I can qualify the 800,000 baht req'd but 65,000 baht a month ???..Why do the qualifying requirements keep changing like we change our underwear......rcb1011

The 40,000 baht number only applies if you are married to a Thai.

For retirement it is 65,000 income per month or 800,000 in bank.

No change it has been that way for quite some time.

Edited by ubonjoe

Welcome to ThaiVisa as a registered member

:o

Another member posted recently about getting his retirement visa (non-immigrant visa category O-A) from the Thai consulate in Hawaii. You will find the procedure quite easy and straight-forward.

--

Maestro

You may be referring to me. With all required docs, it was easy and fast to obtain the retirement visa from the Thai Consulate in Hawaii. Visited once or twice to ask some questions, dropped the paperwork off around 10am, came back at 1pm and had my retirement visa in hand. Very nice folks.

Yes as Joe said. Nothing has changed.

You will need 800,000 Baht in the bank OR 65,000 monthly income OR a combination of the two.

See here 7.21

This address may also help. http://www.pattaya-immigration.org/index.php?lang=EN

A standard non-o visa entitles for a single entry only. Once you leave Thailand the visa looses validity. So if you want to leave the country and come back (i.e. in case of a trip to one of the neighboring countries) you need a multiple entry visum. Can be applied after you got the o-a visum. The fee is something like 3.800 Baht.

This address may also help. http://www.pattaya-immigration.org/index.php?lang=EN

A standard non-o visa entitles for a single entry only. Once you leave Thailand the visa looses validity. So if you want to leave the country and come back (i.e. in case of a trip to one of the neighboring countries) you need a multiple entry visum. Can be applied after you got the o-a visum. The fee is something like 3.800 Baht.

A single Re Entry Permit is 1,000 Baht.

Quick folow up question - are you allowed an import exemption for personal gear if you are successful in aquiring a retirment visa. If so what kind of goods can you bring in and at what value? How about a car, motorcycle or a boat? Thanks!

Yes, I currently get a pension over 65,000 baht per month, and if needed I could open the account with 800,000 baht. Is there a thread here with step by step instructions how to do this? thanks to all

Let's cut a step here if we can. Go to the embassy in BKK or the consulate in Chaing Mai and get an income verification letter. Fill the thing out, pay $30USD and get them to notarize your signature. Since the embassy is ONLY notarizing your signature and not what else is on the letter, what you put in the spaces is up to you.

Why transfer 800K baht if you don't need to do so. If your pension is well enough in excess of the required minimum you can qualify on income alone.

So, get the income verification letter (no more than 3 months before you apply for the retirement visa)

Copy of your lease, house book etc.

Letter from your Thai bank (do the same day or no more than 1 day before).

Copy of your Thai Bank book name page and transaction pages going back 3 months. (if income qual. only you need a few thousand in bank just to show usage).

Copy of photo page of passport and current stamp in and TM card.

TM 7 Application for non-immigrant visa

TM8 Application for re-entry permit (not required but an insurance measure in my opinion).

Photos for ALL applications

Fee B1900 for retirement visa and B1000 or B3800 for re-entry permit (single or multiple entry)

As someone else has already mentioned you can go directly from a 30 day VOA to a retirement visa in one step. It will cost you an extra B1900 and another TM7 and photo.

In Jomtien, you can be done in an hour with instructions to return in the afternoon to pick up your passport (then get re-entry permit) or if you went in the afternoon, go back in the morning. BKK, I understand can be done in half an hour and be gone with passport.

The secret is to be organized, dressed neatly and properly and most of all SMILE and never argue with the officer. They have your passport and visa in their hands.

(NOTE: I always get a re-entry permit. Just incase of emergency I don't have to worry about getting one at the airport and forgetting it. If you leave the country without one on a retirement visa...you just voided it.)

If you need specific info, I am not sure if IM is possible on this site but send me one. As an American I can walk you through it.

As someone else has already mentioned you can go directly from a 30 day VOA to a retirement visa in one step. It will cost you an extra B1900 and another TM7 and photo.

through it.

The 30 day Visa Exempt stamp entry can be changed to a NON O Visa if you have at least 21 days remaining on it. (2,000 Baht) This Non O Visa can then be used to apply for the Retirement Extension. Usually within 30 days of it,s expiry although there has been the odd report of this all being possible at the same time. Although it is not normal.

Plus form tm86

Quick folow up question - are you allowed an import exemption for personal gear if you are successful in aquiring a retirment visa. If so what kind of goods can you bring in and at what value? How about a car, motorcycle or a boat? Thanks!

No, you need to have a work permit. Vehecles you always have to pay duties over.

Thai costums website:

http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/House...nuNme=HouseHold

Let's cut a step here if we can. Go to the embassy in BKK or the consulate in Chaing Mai and get an income verification letter. Fill the thing out, pay $30USD and get them to notarize your signature. Since the embassy is ONLY notarizing your signature and not what else is on the letter, what you put in the spaces is up to you.

Why transfer 800K baht if you don't need to do so. If your pension is well enough in excess of the required minimum you can qualify on income alone.

So, get the income verification letter (no more than 3 months before you apply for the retirement visa)

Copy of your lease, house book etc.

Letter from your Thai bank (do the same day or no more than 1 day before).

Copy of your Thai Bank book name page and transaction pages going back 3 months. (if income qual. only you need a few thousand in bank just to show usage).

Copy of photo page of passport and current stamp in and TM card.

TM 7 Application for non-immigrant visa

TM8 Application for re-entry permit (not required but an insurance measure in my opinion).

Photos for ALL applications

Fee B1900 for retirement visa and B1000 or B3800 for re-entry permit (single or multiple entry)

In Jomtien, you can be done in an hour with instructions to return in the afternoon to pick up your passport (then get re-entry permit) or if you went in the afternoon, go back in the morning. BKK, I understand can be done in half an hour and be gone with passport.

The secret is to be organized, dressed neatly and properly and most of all SMILE and never argue with the officer. They have your passport and visa in their hands.

(NOTE: I always get a re-entry permit. Just incase of emergency I don't have to worry about getting one at the airport and forgetting it. If you leave the country without one on a retirement visa...you just voided it.)

If you need specific info, I am not sure if IM is possible on this site but send me one. As an American I can walk you through it.

Are you able to walk me through the process of the annual renewal of a non-immigrant 'O' visa? Thank you.

Are you able to walk me through the process of the annual renewal of a non-immigrant 'O' visa? Thank you.

Sorry but are you talking about an annual extension of stay? If so on what grounds?

Or a Multi Entry Non O Visa that you got from a consulate?

More info. please.

Sorry but are you talking about an annual extension of stay? If so on what grounds?

More info. please.

Sure. Thanks. I was granted a one year extension as a non-resident married to a Thai national. Renewal, or extension is to occur in February, 2009. I have over 400,000 baht in the bank as of last month. So, I was asking for a step-by-step process as you provided above regarding a retirement visa.

I really appreciate this.

More info. please.

Sure. Thanks. I was granted a one year extension as a non-resident married to a Thai national. Renewal, or extension is to occur in February, 2009. I have over 400,000 baht in the bank as of last month. So, I was asking for a step-by-step process as you provided above regarding a retirement visa.

I really appreciate this.

The 400,000 baht in bank only applies if you have been on marriage extensions since before Sept. 2006.

Otherwise you have to show 40,000 baht income either yours, your wifes or a combination of the two.

The process will be the same as when you got your extension in Feb. of this year.

Edited by ubonjoe

The 400,000 baht in bank only applies if you have been on marriage extensions since before Sept. 2006.

Otherwise you have to show 40,000 baht income either yours, your wifes or a combination of the two.

The process will be the same as when you got your extension in Feb. of this year.

In establishing the 40,000 baht income per month, is it required that the moneys flow through Thai bank accounts, or will a notarized statement regarding my earnings from the US Consulate's Office suffice?

In establishing the 40,000 baht income per month, is it required that the moneys flow through Thai bank accounts, or will a notarized statement regarding my earnings from the US Consulate's Office suffice?

Usually the Embassy statement is enough.

The odd Immigration office is wanting the money to pass through the account but that is not the norm.