Pick Up Performance Parts/suspensions

philipm

Today I pass Proton dealership and got new idea.

Proton Satria = old Mitsu Colt and price is very cheap.

I have very good relationship with Mitsu RallyArt team here and I can ask them to swap the engine to 2.0 turbo and make it 4WD

I think the car and all mods will cost me no more then 1 ml. and I will have new fast car as well.

Any opinion? Or this is completely bed idea?

The focus would be the better option. A proton will be hard to sell later on, let alone one with an engine swap. Resale will be shocking. The focus should be easy to make go fast with the engine management upgrade at the start - turbo diesels seem to respond really well to this. Then after that go with bigger turbos, injectors etc. It seems like the easier way compared to engine swaps which could be a major headache.

I head the focus has really good acceleration, especially at higher speeds. Would like to hear your comparison with your civic after your test drive tommow. I'm expecting a report ok? haha

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha kool,

what numbers can you get from a modified focus, well around 250-270-300WHP, that is alot concidering the 2jz twinturbo makes about 240WHP. its a diesel so boost is defentially your friend. if the engine block is steal, you can crank the psi over 2bar easy (30psi). your max rpm is about 6000rpm????

answer me what the displacement is of the one you are getting and the engine redline if you know it.

i can size up an approriate turbo change, you can first start of with a subaru or evo turbo td05h-16g or td05hr-16g, that will make your car very happy to drive,and over 250-260hp but if you want more power, i can size it up with a td06-20g from greddy, or a hks, garrett ar.60, perhaps a even a garrett gt30, depending on the displacement.

i can get you the kit of turbo, intercooler, for about 30k, you will need about 80-90k in TOTAL for the engine to have a very streetable fassssssssst focus, (include ecu, pod change, intercoolerpipes, intercooler, turbo, downpipe and exhaust, and electronic throttle controller, (minimize lag by alotttttttttttttt), boost controller and boost guage will be a good idea.),

after that you should think about another budget for better brakes, i am not to sure how the stock brakes hold up, but i am thinking they might be adquate, its all up to customer prefrence.....) . how about 0-100 in about 6second, and 100-200 in about 1/3rd or half the time it take the stock car to do it.

i think a great project if you got the connections is a 80-90's mitsubishi mirage, hatch, evo 4wd, evo9 4g63 engine, with exhaust, downpipe, podfilter, aliminum intercooler pipes, roll cage, rally inspired suspensions, body strengthing, while stripping that car completly out, get a ecu, maybe a motec m400, or f-con pro, headers, cams, and slightly larger turbo change, a greddy or hks quick spool series, i think that would be freaking insane!!, get 16"rims max with fat tyres and also quite thick, maybe 60-70, that will give it some clearence, not to menation defent sway and strut bars, and a misfiring system, and a throttlebody upgrade, a blowoff and external wastegate.

ALL I CAN SAY IS OMG this thing would fly so hard, it would be the ultimate track killer!!!

answer me what the displacement is of the one you are getting and the engine redline if you know it.

That is all what I found:

2.0 litre Duratorq-DOHC Common-rial Turbo-diesel engine (TDCi)

TDCi: unmatched performance and best-in-class fuel efficiency and economy Ford’s advanced Duratorq TDCi technology delivers exceptional performance with peak torque of 320Nm reached at a low 2,000rpm. Maximum power of 100kW is produced at 4,000rpm – showing that the turbo-diesel engine has a wide power band. This helps deliver best-in-class acceleration, responsiveness and a full spectrum of driving dynamics that don't compromise its fuel efficiency.

i can size up an approriate turbo change, you can first start of with a subaru or evo turbo td05h-16g or td05hr-16g, that will make your car very happy to drive,and over 250-260hp but if you want more power, i can size it up with a td06-20g from greddy, or a hks, garrett ar.60, perhaps a even a garrett gt30, depending on the displacement.

250 hp will be enough

i can get you the kit of turbo, intercooler, for about 30k, you will need about 80-90k in TOTAL for the engine to have a very streetable fassssssssst focus

The budget look reasonable.

after that you should think about another budget for better brakes, i am not to sure how the stock brakes hold up, but i am thinking they might be adquate,

The brakes and suspension always come first - I already check for that: maybe BREMBO brakes + KW suspension.

i think a great project if you got the connections is a 80-90's mitsubishi mirage, hatch, evo 4wd, evo9 4g63 engine, with exhaust, downpipe, podfilter, aliminum intercooler pipes, roll cage, rally inspired suspensions, body strengthing, while stripping that car completly out, get a ecu, maybe a motec m400, or f-con pro, headers, cams, and slightly larger turbo change, a greddy or hks quick spool series, i think that would be freaking insane!!, get 16"rims max with fat tyres and also quite thick, maybe 60-70, that will give it some clearence, not to menation defent sway and strut bars, and a misfiring system, and a throttlebody upgrade, a blowoff and external wastegate.

ALL I CAN SAY IS OMG this thing would fly so hard, it would be the ultimate track killer!!!

I can imagine that fantastic car )))

Gonna talk with Mitsu team tomorrow.

The focus would be the better option. A proton will be hard to sell later on, let alone one with an engine swap. Resale will be shocking.

As I said before Ford loose value very fast, but the price make difference - Proton cost 500k only.

Actually I don't care about resale - this car I'll use as second and can keep it for long time.

I'm expecting a report ok?

Deal

hey mate, yea i think 250hp is quite enough, you will get a thumping 450nm of torque with that set up,

2L displacement at 6200rpm redline, that is defentially enough for a td05h-16g, or a modified td05h-18g.

this turbo will give you very quick spool, making it very easy to drive daily at the same time, will give plently of power when you gun it.,

with the piggieback/ecu we can tune that max power will come in the last 2-3000rpm before redline and keep it rather linear.

i can do this project for you for about 80-90k, as for brakes,

i have a set of g33 brake kit, not a brembo though its from the gts and we are selling it for 25k, excluding instalation. at the same time the rotors are largeeeee with rather large brake calipers. i believe it will be very adquate for this amount of hp. though if you have the money for ats, or brembo go for that most defentially, though the price will be hefty at over 60k for the front pair only. the size of your brakes depends purely on the wheel size you will have, if they are 16" above, then those gts brakes will fit, if they are 18" above you can fit a high performance 4piston brembo/ats brakes, or even a 6piston if you want that. it all depends on your budget, thus i have given you several options to think about.

as for suspensions, i think K&N coilover adjustable shocks will do just fine, or you can go with tein super street kit, or even Ohlins if you have the budget. you actually have quite alot of options in regards to brands, it just depends on what you are looking for. understanding that a aftermarket sport suspensions will make your ride stiff, but at the same time, you will no worries with controll of your car, and will increase the limit of your cars handling by a great distance.

In regards for the mirage project, hel_l yea mate i think that would be an insane ride. another project you can think about is a diahatsu, with a 13-beTT (rx7 twin turbo rotory engine), with such a light weight and short wheel base, handling will be a very strong point. not to menation with a slightly modified rotory you will have so much power to weight that you can smile bye to an M5 or whatever of the line. not to menation you will be seriously flying.

::o

keep me updated on your project and what mitsu respones is to these ideas.

Phil, in regards to the brake kits. I think grant has some ats on his civic, but really want to know if there is a great difference in performance between, say the 4 pot ats (330mm) and the standard set on my civic. Genuine ats are about 55K for the front, but saw some e'spec in the same size at about 42K. I find the standard ones a bit soft and don't pull up as fast as I'd like. My main concern however is the functioning of the abs - will it activate all the time under hard braking with a big brake kit? my tyres are michelin pp2, 215 size. Plenty sticky enough, though worry that big brakes might grab too much and cause the abs to activate too much. Also, with high performance brake pads, can they also operate well under not so hot conditions? If they are cool, I wonder if the braking distance suffers.

I think for grant's issues, they brakes would be more important than suspension (unless he intends to race around corners!). However I changed to h&R in mine and rides a lot better but its a lot lower - so potholes, speed humps and flooding are bigger issues now. I would suggest the tein adjustables as the height can be adjusted to sute the road and conditions. Otherwise standard should be fine but doesn't look as cool haha

though if you have the money for ats, or brembo go for that most defentially

as for suspensions, i think K&N coilover adjustable shocks will do just fine, or you can go with tein super street kit, or even Ohlins if you have the budget.

This brakes and suspension I have on my current car:

50ee22911688.jpg

d64eb06ac90b.jpg

1ae607931576.jpg

efd63a3f501f.jpg

38aed40b68dc.jpg

51a1882817e9.jpg

faf5eddcacfb.jpg

keep me updated on your project and what mitsu respones is to these ideas.

OK

Grant, who did your brake job? are you happy with their performance?

Some guy from Ramkanhen Rd. His name is Dee.

This is his tred and he can speak english as well:

http://www.civicfdthailand.com/ipb_forum/i...showtopic=39748

I'm aware of him and his shop but have not used his services. Were you happy with the service? Can i ask how much your brakes were? I'm guessing 55K or so..

Did you test drive the focus today? How was it?

Were you happy with the service?

Yes, I use that service many times.

Can i ask how much your brakes were? I'm guessing 55K or so..

40K, second hand (used 2 weeks only)

Did you test drive the focus today? How was it?

No. There is no diesel Focus at dealership in Pattaya and I had to go to Chonburi for test-drive but have no time to do it.

Tomorrow will try again in Bangkok

But the meneger from Pattaya said that there is no restyling models available now.

Ford will present it on MotorExpo 2008

hey mate,

yes big brakes will increase cold braking distance, that means in traffic its gona suck, though on the highway you will find a hugeeeeeeee driffence, and due to alot of cold braking you car will alwaays untilize the abs.

if you want to avoide this, then just get a vented rotor, and slightly better brake pads, and steal bradied brake lines, all this will help in the responviness of your brakes, it will give you the best of both worlds, yet it wont perform as well as bigbrakes at higher speeds, but will adquately improve it over stock brake systems.

what i do before i go anywhere, when i half switch on the car, i pump my brakes, to feed the brake oil directly to the pistons, to reduce lag and squishness intraffic conditions.

as for suspensions, you can go for tien kit, that has edfc, electronicly controlls damping and rideheight, you can rasie it or lower it on the spot with a digital controller.... :o

if you want to change your auto gear box to a manual that can be done, it just depends on your budget. it will cost about 60-70k to do that, thus only if you really want it, it can be done. we will literally throw away your auto gearbox and make the converison. at the same point if you want more umfp in your civic, we can make a turbo kit as well with lower psi, ecu and possibley headgaskets to lower your compression. or we can swap it to a k20a 220hp integra dc5 motor, it all depends on you. with the extra tq and hp you wont need a manual, your engine will pull through any gear and in the auto it has the extra convience.

want any engine mods to your civic????

want any engine mods to your civic????

NA K20A is the best solution for my car an d I still waiting for one that I order more then two months ago.

But I can't be awaiting all my life )))

So, if they will not delivery the engine on the next two weeks I'll cancel that order and will need another solution.

Priority is:

1. Swap to K20A

2. Manual gearbox + Jackson supercharger

3. Ford Focus or Proton

BTW Do you know this device:

http://www.jdm-option.com/eng/pr_CUSCO/typers.html

I need one

Edited by Grant

hey mate,

actually i have a specalist honda garage,

they specalize in honda imparticularly.

i used to go there for my modified eg, but i sold that car several years back. i went back to the shop recently and well its still going well.

i can take you there if you like, im sure they will have and can get whatever it is you want.

they have all right connections in japan, plus the owner is actually japanese.

not to menation they have one of the best acclaimed tunners for honda engines.

i think a k20a is the right way to go, though turbo charge is my way, supercharge is very limited in its power, though you get the power through out the entier rpm range, rather than the top half. so it depends on what you want. if you want a supercharger that is fine to, it will give youa very linear powerband.

they to should be able to swap your transmission, into a k20a manual 6 speed short gearbox :o

if not then i can find the people to do that if thats what you want.

there main drag car is just a b16a b20 block but runs the quater in low 10's. and its not as light as people may think, they reinforced the front with steal, to keep the traction down on the front wheels, but use funny bicycle looking wheels for the rear, probally not even 95 width. haha.... anyways this place is called, DRIVER MOTOR SPORTS.

the main machanic is P Chai, but he left, now its the jap owner and several workers, they do alot of nice and very quick cars.

they have skunk 2 camshafts, lightweight fly wheels, uprated clutches and all the sort.

would you be intrested in going down there??? i can organize a day to go down with you.

Regards, Philip M

would you be intrested in going down there??? i can organize a day to go down with you.

Regards, Philip M

Of course!

I leave to Phuket tonight

So, we can go today or any day on the next week.

Edited by Grant

ok, sorry maybe i didnt notice or did not take it into account, though this shop is located in bangkok.

will you be coming down to bangkok for it then??????

if so, i can organize a day with you, just tell me what day you are comming down and till when. if it is only one day, then i can make an acception to take you down there, and just tell my partner im helping a customer out :o

i love modifications, i love cars and hel_l i love to help people when i can. i always view it as an experince and an oppertunity to meet great people alike.

:D

hey Travelmate,

if you want a triton the best way to go is the 4x4., you got accelent clearence, big grunt and torque, and enough rear tray space to fit a super bike, though without a cannopy, actually it depends what type of canappy you want.

if you want to create a 10second truck, well mate we should defentially meet up, that is one hel_l of a truck then. the way to go with that is either fulllly modifing the 4m41 diesel (triton 3.2), it is capable of pushing out quite incrediable numbers. at the same time though, with the extra weight of the 4x4 there will have to be some serious weight saving.

if you want something fast for just the track and drags, then just get the lower commerical pickup, with a 2.5L cheapest one possible, then strip it out, remove the engine and fit a 2jz, or an rb26dett, which i have seen in a triton and that rb (gtr engine) was producing well over 600Hp, i have seen 2jz with nearly a 1000hp motor in a triton to, these all dependent on you.

at the same time using the diesel motor, will give you tremendous torque but not as much hp. you can get it is close to 500WHP with extensive mods.

such as custom fuel injectors, ceramic coated internals, great big turbo with a very small turbine housing, (this will make a giant turbo spool above 40-50psi within your rpm range)- the downside of that is that, the turbo will heat up very quickly and there for can not be used for everyday, though for track/drag events it will be fine. etc etc, many mods....

my best advise for you if you want alot of truck space and have alottttttt of power and great handling is go for the commercial, strip it out, i will fit the super coilover suspensions i am getting in today, which is a race spec (35mm rod, full ride height adjustable, super quick damping etc etc etc), at the same time, remove the engine, get a 2jz (easy to find, including parts) and modifiy the motor to push out about 600hp or so, then you will have an extreamly light truck with 600hp or more, dayum it will fly so hard. with 6-7,000rpm to play with, dayummm bro, the commercial truck only weighs less than 1400kg....

plus you will have plenty of space to fit 2 or 3 superbikes in the back.

get 18" rims, with big brakes, lsd etc etc, which on the 2jz with its manual gearbox is very easy to do and have many parts to work with in the market.

at the same time if you want the std engine, the 3.2 is the way to go defentially, though due to the fact that the 3.2 is only in the 4x4 which weighs about 1955kg and is lifted, track use can be very fun or very scary depending on your suspensions. hopefully with these suspensions in today which a project suspensions and i am the only one worldwide which will have this right now in there triton, it should handle like an rx8 haha...

i have used my friends vigo, commercial, highly modified with these race spec coilover suspensions, and dayum i was going through turns easily at 180-200. his vigo uses the std 3L 1kd engine and produces a hefty 350+WHP and Over 550NM of torque to the wheels!!!!

quater mile i believe is lowww 13's, at the same time it can be moded further to!!!

tell me what you have inmind!

I was originally thinking commercial spacecab.

It need to be low. To ease off & on loading of Superbike.

Needs a unique suspension that will lower the truck but also cope with the added load of the motorbike plus tools.

It got to be quick and fun. (need to be quicker than scoobies and evos)

Most of all reliable.

As I will need to get to track 2 to 3 times a month.

Need to find a good tuner that is capable of doing this within a reasonable timeframe.

And it got to be black.

haha defentially then go for the singlecab utility truck with the 2.5, either work on that, or find a doner for the 3.2. or go for the 2jz twinturbo supra engine...

if you go for the diesel, it can for sure be quicker than an evo/sti, there are some diesels out there pushing low 11's and high 10's.

basiclly if you keep the diesel we will swap the ecu with diesel monster ecu, this is officially the most powerful ecu out, and is fully reprogramable in every aspect, then we will work with your engine, with large size fuel injectors (6nozzel instead of 4), then we will fit either a HOLSET HX35, or Greddy TD06-20G or the like, this will give you amazing boost after 3000rpm, and 3-4-5gear (if you get the manual) will be sooo fast, you will defentially outrun any stock evo or sti on the topend and bottom. my partners vigo gets changing gear wheel spin in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear outta the 5gears. there is so much torque, at 80km, you can pull easily to 200 in a matter of seconds.

after the turbo upgrade, the next step is to get full custom aliminum intercooler pipes, and a very large intercooler, (enough for minimum lag, but still very efficient for cooling), then a custom header job of about 2.75 or 3", an external wastegate set at about 2.5BAR, manual boost controller, full 2.75-3" cat, and highquality muffler, then we will further work on the throttle by hooking up an electronic throttle controller, or a custom large diameter throttle body about 60mm and a very unqiue drive by wire system, if you dont mind a faulty engine checklight.

after this, you will change to a carbon type twinplate clutch, and atleasy 2way LSD, after that i will fit in the new PROJECT-X rideheight adjustable, coilspring racing inspire suspensions, with a 35mm core rod, and super quick damping, this will give you plenty of handling control. then you will need to work on the brakes, my opinion is swap your rims to 18", high traction low profile tiers with large 6pot brake system or large 4pot for ats/brembo. 3" custom downpipe...

at this point you should modify the brake lines to stainless steal bradied for the most respons, and get several guage to monitor your boost, oil pressure and the sort.... oh before i forget, the diesel monster even has a drag lunch controll system.

i am sure after doing this you will very content with this car ability to handle, brake and its pure fuerious speed/acceleration.

though this set up is hefty, and will cost you near the 2-300k mark of modifying, as the brakes itself will cost you nearly a 100, suspensions about 40k. sway bars, strut bars another 20k.

turbo about 35k, intercooler about 10k, headers, exhaust, downpipe, cat and intercooler piping about another 35-40k, big size fuel injectors fully custom about 20k, then the diesel monster about 35k.........

if you want cermaic coating of your internals then i can get that done, basicly that will increase max boost on your engine to about 50psi capability.

there is alot that can be done, it just needs the budget.... if you want an insane quick ride, and one of the fastest diesels street cars in Thailand this is deffentially the way to go.

otherwise the 2jz costing about 150k, etc can be modified for another 150k to make it about 400-500hp that can run everyday..... i prefer the diesel as the amount of tq you will get will be around the highhhhhhhhhhh 600-700nm market, maybe even the 800nm mark, depending on the mods.

i can tell you with a 300k budget ontop of the car itself, you can make it into a veryyyyyyyyyyyy serious ride, and run faster then those track trucks around. you will eat evo's, stis for lunch and dinner.

at the same time you can use this everyday, oh plus a rollcage 4point or 6point will be about 20k, recaro/sparco (immataion for about 15k, orginial about 40-50k) sparco racing wheel and gear shifter about another 15k at most, with a 4point harness another 3-4k.

so many possibilties, just pick a route.....

oh btw it will defentially be low, and you can fit your bikes on there with no problems...

this can be done via me, and my connections, (though not all in my shop ofcourse but shops i know) in a frame of about 1month at most, depends on what you want. generally speaking you do the engine etc at the shop, go and buy the brakes, wheels and tiers at one time bring it into the shop, then take it for the suspensions and get ti cambered,

then the ecu can be installed before hand excluding the tune, then tune it after its all right.

the quickest this can happen is probably 2-3weeks at least, depending on what you buy and how you fit it, and if you dont mind doing the engine in one shop, and at the same time buying other equipement to install there etc then go for fine tuning after etc etc

originally was thinking going for the SI engine route. But if you say it will costs 300k for a modified 2jz. This being only the engine to start with seems to be a far more costly route.

Whilst the CI engine definitely be the 3.2 seems to be alot cheaper. And the power to Baht ratio is obviously alot cheaper.

But then again I am no fan of the oil burner. Hmm need to think about this more carefully.

Plan is February to put this project in motion. Having spent a fortune on performance parts for my bike and that is more or less complete now. Looking for something else to do.

So a highly modified truck would seem to be the cheap route to attaining a very quick vehicle.

So I will need to think which route to follow,

However you mention 300g on top of the project vehicle is very doable for me.

It definitely be the Triton Megacab. Need that extra space behind the seats.

But still hanker over a SI unit. As I would like to incorporate nitrous into the mix. Just for giggles and the odd porsche.

Hmmm thinking what the best route to take. SI or CI.....

hey ther philipm,

i'm from sarawak, malaysia n i own a mitsu triton 2.5 turbo auto n planning 2 get 1 of those piggiebacks/ecu. plug & play piggiebacks/ecu izzit??? how much r u selling 4?? wat brand??? thank u

Edited by ferdy

hey Travelmate, could you further explain the CI or SI to me???

the 3.2 as i menation will only come from the 4x4, which is a lifted truck. though you can lower it well, my new suspensions makes my truck look like a full on track truck, front nose is atleast 1-2" lower then the rear, yet full traction to the rear is fully avialble.

i think your best route is to get the 4x4, or the utility 2.5 low truck with a single cabin.. though the difference in power will be greatly noticable from the 3.2 then the 2.5.

either way, these diesel have boost as there best friend, thus boosting 40psi is no problem.

if you want a quick car from the start, the solution is to get either of these and drop a 3JZ- custom made (2jz bottom and 1jz top, or 1jz bottom with a 2jz top)-basicly that means a 3000cc 6, with a massive single turbo, or a 2500cc 6, with a twin turbo setup, these are rated about 500hp. and this swap is about 200-250K, installed with the transmission and brake upgrade. if you want a petrol with minimum mods outta the box, this is the way to go.

you will have an extreamly fast truck with this, though with the respect, keeping the diesel and moding that is the way to go.

sure you will pull black smoke, but then again who cares as when you throttle it down, you will be so far ahead of the next car it wouldnt matter...haha, at the same point you are a bike owner, thus i can understand if you get really annoyed with diesel pushing out alot of black smoke haha....

it depends on the route you want to go.. so just tell me when the time comes, and i will the nessary things for you.

as for you Ferdy,

we have a wideeeeee selection of brands. you have the acclaimed 4d56 2.5L diesel,

our selection of brands are the widest in the country, and we officially are the most reputable seller of most brands.

the budget assumes which ecu/piggieback you can get,

thus i shall put it this way,

lightbox give more tq then hp (about an extra 100nm of torque and about 20hp) this sells locally for 18-20k,

we have megafire (with independent fuel injection for each fuel injectors) this increase more hp than tq, about 40 hp and about 80nm of torque, this sells for 35k.

we have D-commander, 1000-3000 depending on how much power you want, depends on the series, the 3000 is more expensive at about 29k, though the 1000 is about the 20k mark.

we have also sprint booster,

ecushop-boostspeed (electronic throttle controller)

lightbox boostcut (allows your engine to boost over 22psi-where the std ecu cuts the power)

we have lightbox (top speed eliminator)

we have typhoon which isnt the best of the sort but sells for 16k,

we have Project X devloping, which is extreamly powerful at the same time it will cost about the 20k mark etc etc

it all depends on what you want and how much budget you are willing to pay for.

does this help :o ?

oh btw travelmate, i have a unqiue tuner and supplier which incoprates methanol injection into the diesels, if you want this, this can be done to :o

if you want NOS, this can be done to, though personally NOS in thailand is not the best thing, concidering the road conditions where that 50hp shot or so will make you fly into a pothole :D

though if this is what you want it can all be done.

"hey Travelmate, could you further explain the CI or SI to me???"

Sorry about that.

CI Compression Ignition = Diesel

SI Spark Ignition = Petrol

I am prefering the petrol route at the moment. As this makes it a unique project. And also an ongoing project on the engine developemnt itself. ie. The hunt for more power continues.

I have already settled on the Triton Megacab commercial. That done. (donor vehicle cheapest I can find)

Now it choosing the right combo. engine, gearbox (six speed possible?), LSD rear, suspension, upgrade brakes, rollcage, spartan interior (race).

It got to be badass, Wheels thinking more on 19's or even twenties. Rear have 275 section plus. if possible. it all depends at time of project.