Smoked Ham Hocks

bunta71

Call Gunther the German Butcher out it the Doi Saket area

He has been there for years and has a pretty good size restaurant and butcher shop.

On a typical Sunday afternoon he will probably have about 200 + diners out there ...... lotsa Thais eating nice fattening German Food

Before you think about buying any hocks , why not stop out and try the Sunday afternoon Buffet [has smoked hocks on it ] and if it suits your pallet then buy some , if not you still will have a great afternoon....... Gunther is a great and very funny guy.

G & M Butcher

Doi Saket

Call him for directions, otherwise you will never, never find it unless you take someone who knows the way to the place.

tel 053-840-531

I am not involved in his business, but have valued him as a friend for years

Gonzo

Edited by Gonzo the Face

I can't seem to find it and I have the map. Does Gunther give good directions?

Here is the map:

Call Gunther the German Butcher out it the Doi Saket area

He has been there for years and has a pretty good size restaurant and butcher shop.

On a typical Sunday afternoon he will probably have about 200 + diners out there ...... lotsa Thais eating nice fattening German Food

Before you think about buying any hocks , why not stop out and try the Sunday afternoon Buffet [has smoked hocks on it ] and if it suits your pallet then buy some , if not you still will have a great afternoon....... Gunther is a great and very funny guy.

G & M Butcher

Doi Saket

Call him for directions, otherwise you will never, never find it unless you take someone who knows the way to the place.

tel 053-840-531

I am not involved in his business, but have valued him as a friend for years

Gonzo

post-70646-1227579751_thumb.jpg

I have been going out there for almost 12 years and last week I got lost.

It is difficult and then when you know the way, you find it silll difficult.

By your map, I use the Northern route. The first turn is the hard one to find as it is a street, like any other.

Over the phone will still be difficult to understand the directions.

If you are in Chiang Mai and would like to come by, I will try and go over a map with you and moreso if you have a handphone can give you some directions while you are out there driving.

The better alternative is to find someone who has been out ther and can go with you

PM me if I can be of further help, and I will give you a contact number

In any event good luck

Gonzo

Went out there Sunday and everything is as stated. Wonderful buffet so cheap you wouldn't believe the price. So difficult to find, that I had to call Gunther and he came and led me there from the Bangkok Bank in BorSang. Then the fun part...trying to find my way back home. I got some ham hocks and made my ham and beans and it turned out just like Mom's. Thanks Gonzo for the tip and adventure. Gunther really made us feel at home even though I think we were closer to Chiang Rai than Chiang Mai. Not really sure about the actual buffet price. Seems around 150 Baht. Wife, myself and 6 year old Laura had the buffet, water, ice cream,two ham hocks and a half pound of smoked bacon pieces all came to 750Baht. :D:o:D :D

I am definitely going to go there maybe next sunday. I will keep gunther's number on me if I need help. I am actually translating this map into english so I will try and post it after I do.

I have been going out there for almost 12 years and last week I got lost.

It is difficult and then when you know the way, you find it silll difficult.

By your map, I use the Northern route. The first turn is the hard one to find as it is a street, like any other.

Over the phone will still be difficult to understand the directions.

If you are in Chiang Mai and would like to come by, I will try and go over a map with you and moreso if you have a handphone can give you some directions while you are out there driving.

The better alternative is to find someone who has been out ther and can go with you

PM me if I can be of further help, and I will give you a contact number

In any event good luck

Gonzo

After reading this post, wifey and I went over on Sunday . . .

sort of used the map which is ONLY USEFUL IF YOU CAN READ THAI!!!

Great food, great value, and I was the only Farang in the village!

David

No, you weren't the only farang. I have two farang friends with families that live out there

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Anyone happen to have GPS coordinates for G&M? Thanks.

Try this:

N18.79717 E99.14170

(wgs-84, dd.ddddd)

You may also copy-paste the coordinates to Google Earth for a view.

These coordinates show it as being right on the 1014 Road but the map above (which I can't read at all) would suggest it is many turns from any main road. From the coordinates, it looks like I would follow the road from Chiang Mai towards San Kampaeng but turn left at Bo Sang umbrella market street, and it would be way up there before Doi Saket. Is it actually on this road though? If so, right or left side as I am heading North?

Also, does anyone have his phone number? I need to get a price for some catering.

Edited by blakegeee

Try this:

N18.79717 E99.14170

(wgs-84, dd.ddddd)

These coordinates show it as being right on the 1014 Road but the map above (which I can't read at all) would suggest it is many turns from any main road. From the coordinates, it looks like I would follow the road from Chiang Mai towards San Kampaeng but turn left at Bo Sang umbrella market street, and it would be way up there before Doi Saket. Is it actually on this road though? If so, right or left side as I am heading North?

Also, does anyone have his phone number? I need to get a price for some catering.

I just picked up a couple of 'Haxen' [German for ham hocks] @160/kilo from Gunter this morning. Luckily I live only 2k from his operation. His phone number is 053 840 531.

He works from early morning until 10am then naps till 4pm, if you want to speak with him directly.

Try this:

N18.79717 E99.14170

(wgs-84, dd.ddddd)

I just picked up a couple of 'Haxen' [German for ham hocks] @160/kilo from Gunter this morning. Luckily I live only 2k from his operation. His phone number is 053 840 531.

He works from early morning until 10am then naps till 4pm, if you want to speak with him directly.

Great, thanks for that! I'll just call him for the price I need. Also do the following directions sound right to you? >

"These coordinates show it as being right on the 1014 Road but the map above (which I can't read at all) would suggest it is many turns from any main road. From the coordinates, it looks like I would follow the road from Chiang Mai towards San Kampaeng but turn left at Bo Sang umbrella market street, and it would be way up there before Doi Saket. Is it actually on this road though? If so, right or left side as I am heading North?"

Oh very dear!

Caught myself reading this and then spotting a post from myself over 2 years old!

Funny thing though, went there again last Sunday,

and the last time I went was early January this year,

so it looks like I'm a once a year kinda guy!

David

Great, thanks for that! I'll just call him for the price I need. Also do the following directions sound right to you? >

"These coordinates show it as being right on the 1014 Road but the map above (which I can't read at all) would suggest it is many turns from any main road. From the coordinates, it looks like I would follow the road from Chiang Mai towards San Kampaeng but turn left at Bo Sang umbrella market street, and it would be way up there before Doi Saket. Is it actually on this road though? If so, right or left side as I am heading North?"

The map posted shows is not very English.....directions from Doi Saket.....from DS, you would turn left off 1014 at around 7k. From Bo Sang, it's about the same distance from the main BS junction, 7k....then you would turn right. The Soi that you want is not really marked in English, but from BS, it is just past Ban Mae Ka and first road on the right and from that junction, just keep bearing right at junctions and it's about 5k from 1014.

If you get lost.....just ask for 'the German sausage factory'.

It will be worth the trip...........