Somchai To Fly To Chiang Mai, Declare State Of Emergency: Source

LaoPo

Breakingnews

Somchai to fly to Chiang Mai, declare state of emergency: source

Published on November 26, 2008; November 26, 2008 : Last updated 04:50 am

Prime Minster Somchai has instructed the Defence Ministry to draft a state of emergency law to be approved by the Cabinet after he returns to Thailand Wednesday, a source said.

The source said Somchai would fly to Chiang Mai from Peru and would use a military plane to travel to Bangkok to call an urgent Cabinet meeting.

The meeting would be called to approve the new state of emergency announcement.

- The Nation

LaoPo

Breakingnews

Somchai to fly to Chiang Mai, declare state of emergency: source

Published on November 26, 2008; November 26, 2008 : Last updated 04:50 am

Prime Minster Somchai has instructed the Defence Ministry to draft a state of emergency law to be approved by the Cabinet after he returns to Thailand Wednesday, a source said.

The source said Somchai would fly to Chiang Mai from Peru and would use a military plane to travel to Bangkok to call an urgent Cabinet meeting.

The meeting would be called to approve the new state of emergency announcement.

- The Nation

LaoPo

Don,t be surprised if they move to Chang Mai rather that continue in their attempts to miss govern the country and forward their number one objective, in Bangkok, which is..........................

To get the constitution amended to favour the corrupt members of their administration, those temp. sidelined, or more importantly due / have a hefty jail sentence for abuse of power both now and before during the last administrations trem / terms in office to as of yet serve.

IMHO

marshbags :o

Edited by marshbags

Somchai may land at U-tapao military airport

Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat's flight from Peru may land at the U-tapao military airport later Wednesday, a source said.

But the source said other provincial airports remain options for the landing.

Government Spokesman Natthawut Saikua said Somchai might return between 5 pm to 8 pm.

He said Somchai's flight was delayed by six to seven hours because of mechanical problems of his plane.

Source: The Nation - 26 November 2008

Reminds me of when Charles moved his government to Oxford during the English Civil War. A last gasp before defeat.

Please ignore my comment. Memory playing tricks. Wrong Charles. Still, the civil war scenario may be developing here if the government is going to "govern' from Chiangmai.

Well, the ousted and banned politicians from the former government, are already leading current politics from "the war room" in a Shin Corp. building, maybe they should ALL be moved to this place simply to clear the lines, there they may pay hommage to their leader, who has became a criminal fugitive... not to forget what this mass protest is really all about - simply trying to be fair to the Thai people and their cause!

Off-topic posts and post mentioning the King have been removed.

For a general discussion on Thai politics, please post in the appropriate topics in this forum and keep this topic reserved to the landing site of prime minister Somchai and the declaration of emergency.

--

Maestro

I thought the military was quite opposed to a state of emergency. What happens if an emergency is declared and the military still refuses to step in? Overall, this is not looking good, to the point where I am making emergency plans for getting the heck out if need be. Long term stability in Thailand seems to be unattainable.

I thought the military was quite opposed to a state of emergency. What happens if an emergency is declared and the military still refuses to step in? Overall, this is not looking good, to the point where I am making emergency plans for getting the heck out if need be. Long term stability in Thailand seems to be unattainable.

The military may well have to do the bare minimum this time as it involves the international airport.

One school of thought also goes along the lines of nobody wants to deploy the military because they are not sure what they will do when deployed. Whoever really controls the battaion commanders will I guess be the only one who knows. Class 12 rather than 10 seem to be more in control right now, but it depends what units move.

By the way interesting analysis on Bloomberg this morning that the military wont intervene because they know the courts are going to disolve PPP.

Somchai lands at Don Mueang military airport, continues flight to Chiang Mai

DON MUANG: -- Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat landed at the Don Mueang Military Airport at 5 pm Wednesday but continued his flight to Chang Mai shortly after, a well-informed source said.

The source said Somchai dropped at the military airport to pick up certain key Cabinet members and continued his flight to Chiang Mai immediately.

It was earlier expected that Somchai would hold an urgent Cabinet meeting at the military airport upon arrival.

-- The Nation 2008-11-26