Authentic Thai In San Francisco?

marc11864

My partner who is from Krueng Thep and I will be visiting San Francisco, CA USA toward the end of the year and so I was wondering from those who've lived or visited there and are familiar with the truly Thai dishes where we can get the good stuff while in the city?

There is Sai Jai Thai restaurant at 771 O 'Farrel st 415 673-5774 and there and at the corner of Larkin and Geary there is The Thai House express,I have eaten there its alright some dishes close to what you get in Thailand. For Halal type thai food there is Bang San at 505 jones st,by jones and O'Farrel.

The Food is decent at these restaurants but once you been to Thailand you really can't compare the food there and what go's has Thai food in the USA

• 2 weeks later...

I was in SF last week. There is a new (6 months old) thai restaurant called Lersros that was written up in the local news rags as being the best in town. I gave it a try and it is by far the best thai food I've had outside of thailand. Had gai kratiem and yam talay, both were on par with a good thai restaurant in bangkok. They don't skimp on the garlic, chilies and fish sauce and will give you prik nam pla too. The menu is in thai and the girls working there speak thai so you can brush up on your language skills too. They have stuff on the menu that I've never seen in other thai places in SF or LA. It's in one of the roughest areas of the city (larkin street between ellis and ofarrel) but once you're inside it's fine.

Tenderloin Thai. :o I've seen Vietnamese restaurants in the Tenderloin, but not Thai. Will check it out on my next trip.

I just went to Lers Ros today.  Had minced chicken with basil and spinach sauteed in bean sauce...about $9 (incl tip) 

post-55922-1240980044_thumb.jpg

Two cute waitresses and the  minced chicken was a little salty BUT I like how they added in chopped long bean...I'm going back tomorrow.

VERY clean restaurant

I just went again today and asked them if they use tamarind in their pad thai.  The waitress didn't understand so she brought another waitress over who spoke better english.  I explained to her that I like the pad thai they make in Thailand and not American style.  She said they can make it special for me.

post-55922-1241053354_thumb.jpg

YUMMMMMMM tasted just like they make it in Thailand :D:D:D !  I'm going to become a regular there since I only work three blocks away  :)