Is Singapore Under Water?

gennisis

I watch the news and weather reports on BBC,CNN and French channel regularly.

For the last 4 months at least the daily report for Singapore has been temp 28-32 oC and RAIN.

So I guess Singaporeans are getting very very wet.

Yes we've noticed that too - really stupid weather reports. I guess Singapore gets rain most days but more often than not it's a big big thunderstorm then dry again. Though during the NE monsoon (now) it can go on a bit.

The BBC world weather is the most ridiculous I think. they say things like "they'll be a shower in Australia" - I mean, really.

For the last 4 months at least the daily report for Singapore has been temp 28-32 oC and RAIN.

It does seem that it rains most days but it's usually a short, sometimes heavy, rain. Not that many days are ruined on account of it.

I don't recall ever seeing any real flooding in Singapore though some old-timers tell me that certain areas, such as around Yishun & Khatib, used to flood horribly when they were kids. Sometimes it will rain cats & dogs but these days the drainage in most areas seems to be really good. The Singapore government isn't averse to investing money in infrastructure, if they have land being spoiled by flooding and there's any whay to fix it, they're likely to do it.

Singapore lies in what is called the Inter-tropical Convergence Zone so it rains at least once almost every week. There is no "dry" season. We have 2 monsoon seasons - SW Monsoon (typically drier) when the high pressure is over Australasia and the the NE Monsoon (typically wetter) when the high pressure region is over Asia.

Because Singapore lies practically at the equator (1.25deg N), the weather is hot all year round. The period between monsoons is characterised by short but heavy downpours caused by convection usually in the afternoons and evenings.

You'd think, probably by being in Thailand, that there will be lots of flooding in Singapore. There used to be but not anymore. The drainage system in Singapore is pretty good. All natural water channels like streams and rivers have been more or less "channelised" - made into drains to ensure surface run-off gets channelled out of the area and to one of the many reservoirs as quickly as possible. There is constant deepening and widening of drains and storm drains (we call them canals) to ensure that flooding is kept to a minimum.

You planning for a visit? Do remember your brolly!

28-32c for Singapore daily seems spot on.

Rain not unusual - when the BBC/CNN/etc give you the daily forecast and say RAIN it doesn't necessarily mean rain all day - just a 30 minute downpour in the afternoon and fine the rest of the day will still have them forecasting RAIN

You DO get some flooding in Singapore but it's not on the same scale (the flooding) as in Thailand as Singapore's infrastructure is very much geared up for monsoons. See the following, which I remember well as I was there at the time.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/sin.../296452/1/.html

I've seen some heavy downpours in Phuket since I moved here, but really nothing compared with what you see sometimes in Singapore - and those that live there will know what I mean.