Body Swap Research Shows That Self Is A Trick Of The Mind

camerata

Interesting article about humans' fragile sense of self and how easily it can be manipulated. A few years ago I came across the website of a Buddhist whose sole practice was the contemplation of not being able to directly see his own face with his own eyes.

Body swap research shows that self is a trick of the mind

Brain scientists have succeeded in fooling people into thinking they are inside the body of another person or a plastic dummy.

The out-of-body experience - which is surprisingly easy to induce - will help researchers to understand how the human brain constructs a sense of physical self. The research may also lead to practical applications such as more intuitive remote control of robots, treatments for phantom limb pain in amputee patients and possible treatments for anorexia.

Continued here.

Mmmm,

As the "self" is not limited to one body or state, i don't see why this should be weird. (only to an scientist :-) )

The "Self" has occupied many forms in his development. I sure don't regard my body as "mine", more as a vehicle for ...

Not seeing your own face with your eyes - sounds like the highly underappreciated Douglas Harding. His observations are real, and a great way to practise. For a year or so I was convinced this was real Sati Sampajannya. He later retracted his comment that humans have no head, finding evidence to the contrary. The head however, is bent at 90degrees from the neck.

No, really, he is underappreciated.