Driving Licence - Definitive Guide Please

looby

So, how do you get a drivers license in Pattaya?

Where to go - the driver’s license office for the Pattaya area is located off of Hwy 36 to Rayong. On Sukhumvit Road go 5 kilometers north of Pattaya Nua Road to the Hwy 36 Exit to Rayong (exit on the “right”). On Hwy 36 go 5 kilometers and you will see a large green overhead sign saying “Hwy 7 to Chonburi and Bangkok turn left; Hwy 36 to Rayong straight ahead”. A short way after you pass under the sign there is a 2’ high by 5’ wide arrow shaped white sign with black Thai writing pointing to the right. You will also see a dirt area through the ditch of the median where vehicles have been crossing to the other side to get to the driver’s license office. You may wish to go down further and u-turn back as this makeshift crossing is both treacherous and dangerous. It's up to you!

Once you cross the highway exit you will be on the paved road that leads back to the driver’s license office. Approximately 150 meters back toward the office the road will make a left turn. After the turn you will see a row of shops that serve food, make photo copies, laminate driver’s licenses, and offer insurance on your left. On your right is a two story building where you will apply for your license. Enter the second gate into the parking lot and park. You will want to go upstairs to the second floor in the building.

Regarding the letter of residence from Jomtien Immigration.

A ) Will the Pattaya DL office accept a yellow tibian bahn book in lieu of the letter of residence? This is a legal certificate of residence issued to a foreigner.

B ) Will they have a problem if the yellow tibian bahn is from Udon and not Banglamong?

I have homes in Udon and Pattaya but would like to get the DL in Pattaya as it seems 'easier' than the Udon DL office.

Edited by NanLaew

I understand there is an english language set of multiple choice Q's..

Hi

I had an international driving permit which entitled me automatically to a Thai licence both motorbike & car, apart from paperwork all I had to do was take color chart test.

Not a forgone conclusion bearing in mind it had been in the sun for years and all colors looked the same!

ThaiPhoo :o

Just to add more confusion..

I had a international and didnt need to do the driving test.. But I was made to the the multiple choice exam part of the test..

Logically I figured as Thai signs are different and thier rules are different that made sense, yes I could drive, but the exam was more on thier rules. I see this is again something non standard.

I agree with what a few posters have already stated and that being:

It depends on what day, who you talk to, what phase the moon is in, how spicy the somtum was for that day, and how much you look like a farang ATM machine as what the requirements and process is for obtaining a Thai DL.

You see I just got mine a few weeks back, only up here in Chiang Mai, not in Pattaya. A week before I went for my license I went with a Thai friend of mine to determine what all was required of me. Needless to say, I obtained the items needed and went back the following week only to find someone different in the office that day and the rules had changed. Here's a list of what it took for me to get my license:

1) Copy of my passport - Front page as well as the visa page (I had to sign both copies)

2) A medical report from the local medical clinic (hospital)

3) Affidavit from the US Consulate stating my Thai address of residence.

4) Testing - Reflex, peripheral vision, eye color chart

5) Written test (30 multiple choice questions and it was on a computer so it was available in English)

6) Driving test (comprised of an obstacle course outback of the license bureau where I had to park near a curb, parallel park, display use of turn signals, and enter through a long set of pylons and reverse back out without hitting any)

7) They took my needed photo there at the license office

8) If I recall either 120 or 220 baht???

I was told that since my USA drivers license (issued in Colorado and was still valid) had a classification with an 'R' (which means 'regular' and for autos only) did not appear in the International Driver's license list of classes (they were looking for a class 'C') I had to perform the written and driving tests. Had my Colorado DL designated a class 'C' or if I held a valid IDL then items number 5 & 6 above would not have been required.

Hope this helps but as I warn, see my second sentence above. Oh by the way, the license is good for one year. When I go back next year to renew it will then be good for 5 years.

I've had the 'Car' licence for a couple of years.

Just been for the motorbike licence. Thought I would be cheeky and apply with my UK driving licence. I always thought you could drive a moped or something on it in the UK, So I told my wife to tell them I can ride a Motorcycle in the UK. Wasn't very optomistic as it had pictographs of all sorts of vehicles & classes on the back but no Motorbike pictures. They went for it anyway. no probs. I was in and out within the hour. Another day, it may not have been so easy. The Thai's had to sit through two hours of lectures, followed by a theory test in the morning and a practical test after lunch. What a ball ache for them ;-)

And it is has to be a 1 year Visa. No 30 day stamp (or Tourist Visas).

Not true!!!! I got a 1-year licence 2 weeks ago on a 30-day tourist visa.

Agree. Not true. I got mine (renewed) in Bangkok (Sapan Kwai) on a 30-day tourist visa. As it was my second time, I should have gotten the 5 year validity, however they told me not having Non-Imm visa, I could only get 1 year validity. Also note that at Sapan Kwai, you can ask the motor bike diver to take you to get the doctors cert. Less than 100 baht.

Edited by trunknuk

Just to add - If you are going for the renewal (5 year licence) you will have a wasted journey if you turn up before the expiry date of your 1 year licence. You can only renew on or after the expiry date.

What do I need to bring with me to renew my 1 year Thai driving licence? Just the expired licence, or do I need a new medical letter, copy of passport/visa etc?

Thanks.

Thanks for the great info. In a related question, with everything in hand, I need to go somewhere and the "somewhere" is confusing. I've seen two different locations for the Land Transport office for those of us who live in Khlong Toei, Bangkok. Can anyone confirm this is correct address below? If not, what is the right location?

Thanks.

Bangkok Area 3:

opposite Soi Sukhumvit 62/1,

Bangjak Prakhanong,

Bangkok

tel: 02-332-9688 to 96

Covers the districts: Prakhanong, Pravate, Suan luang, Klong toey and Wattana.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

I did indeed find the office, a 40 baht ride by taxi from On Nut BTS station to the building entrance.

I tried to get around the residency stamp, which the Cdn embassy wants 1400 bt for "certifying". I showed DLT officials my signed and sealed apartment lease, but it does not compute for them. The embassy certification is so meaningless but is in the regulations of the Kingdom, I guess. I'll have to make a special embassy trip now.

Will report on any anomalies to earlier reports. One useful tip is to pick up the list of Thai licence requirements (in English) at the first table.

I would be interested to know what was offered as 'proof of residence' by those who have successfully applied for a driving license with a '30 day visa'.

Here on Phuket they give those out for anyone, all you need do is show a apartment lease or something with an address like a utility bill.

I would be interested to know what was offered as 'proof of residence' by those who have successfully applied for a driving license with a '30 day visa'.

Well I renewed my 5 year license the other day and they insisted that I would get a certificate of residence(x 2 because 2 licenses)from immigration.I went to immigration for the certificate and showed my expired driving license to prove my address,which was accepted without a question.In one word ridiculous.

Just to add - If you are going for the renewal (5 year licence) you will have a wasted journey if you turn up before the expiry date of your 1 year licence. You can only renew on or after the expiry date.

What do I need to bring with me to renew my 1 year Thai driving licence? Just the expired licence, or do I need a new medical letter, copy of passport/visa etc?

Thanks.

You need everything like the first time again. :D

Remember to go and get the new one after the present one has expired.

Just to add to everyone.

If you want to have for both MC and car then you must bring double copies of everything.

You then get two licenses, one for car and one for MC. :o

Hello folks

Can anyone please advise once you have all the required permits photos & papers where do you take them to to collect the Thai Driving licence.

John B-P

This site: http://driving.information.in.th/thai-dmv.html

Has a list of all the land transportation offices in Thailand and a pretty decent description of the whole process.

Well I renewed my 5 year license the other day and they insisted that I would get a certificate of residence(x 2 because 2 licenses)from immigration.I went to immigration for the certificate and showed my expired driving license to prove my address,which was accepted without a question.In one word ridiculous.

Kafkaesque isnt it !!

I did exactly the same here on Phuket, want license need res letter, need res letter use old license..

Gives people jobs I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently renewed my Thai licences in Khon Kaen. They let me use my work permit for proof of address.

Documents,

old licences,

copies of passport,

medical cert,

copy of work permit.

They took the photos, but gave me a choice of providing one if I wanted to.

Color and reflex tests. Then they had me read a rules book, in English, while a traffic safety movie was playing,

There was a question about my visa. In my new passport imm had entered the info. They put 'non O'. The discussion was apparently because the clerk wanted it to say "non immigrant O". The supervisor okayed it.

Then there was some discussion about when the licences would expire. The old ones were 5 year licences that expired 11 Dec 08. I went a few days after that.

They finally settled on an expiration date of 11 Dec 2014. The expiration date is both in Thai and in English.

By my count, they gave me six (6) years licences.

A 20% bonus, maybe?

Edited by TerryLH