Recommend A Place To Live In Phuket

girlx

can anyone recommend a place to live in phuket for a man in his early 30s who plays online poker for a living? he needs a decent apartment with internet access, close to conveniences such as tesco or the like, not too far from a nice beach, prefers to have a bit of nightlife (catering to people in their 20s. 30s but not sex-related) nearby. if public transport is available that would be cool too.

this is for the brother of one of my best friends, if anyone has any recommendations for him please let me know. if it's a good one, i might check out phuket myself!

oh any ideas of the going rates for a western-style 1-bed apartment or house there?

Sounds to me like you're describing Nai Harn. Although for the night life, it's mostly sex related (but not all)

I'd say around 10k-15k baht would get you something ok.

His biggest problem will be high speed internet. It is sporadic at best although if he does most of his online activity in the middle of the night, it is not so bad.

Lots of nice beaches on Phuket. He should come over and see what part he feels most comfortable in.

Northern Phuket probably has less sex-related nightlife but less 20-30 year olds. MOst guys that age come over here for Thai girls.

It'll be interesting to see how the pack of dogs on here will find faulty with his occupation and tear you up over your post.

can anyone recommend a place to live in phuket for a man in his early 30s who plays online poker for a living? he needs a decent apartment with internet access, close to conveniences such as tesco or the like, not too far from a nice beach, prefers to have a bit of nightlife (catering to people in their 20s. 30s but not sex-related) nearby. if public transport is available that would be cool too.

this is for the brother of one of my best friends, if anyone has any recommendations for him please let me know. if it's a good one, i might check out phuket myself!

oh any ideas of the going rates for a western-style 1-bed apartment or house there?

I'd look at the Kamala/Surin/Bang Tao areas. Good beaches, laid back (but fairly quiet) nightlife, reasonably good access to shopping and golf etc. Not much in the way of public transort though and prices are higher than other parts of the island.

If a 20-minute drive to the beach isn't too much then he may also want to consider Phuket Town. Cheaper with good shopping access, public transport and reasonably good nightlife.

Kathu which is between Phuket Town and the West coast beaches may also be a reasonably priced option.

I think Cherng Telay has it all- banks , shoppes , bars ..Bang Tao's 8 kilometer long beach, Surin Beach just 5 minutes Kamala 15 minutes.

Tesco Express ( I find annoying and useless actually except for pet food ) and Big One which has a better selection of foreign food by far, 3 markets a week for fresh foods and the local every day fresh market, AND many many foreign owned business plus the 5 star resorts and golf of Laguna .

Apartments near the beach, not sure of price but there are many available as there has been a building boom.

Basic but nice, Thai style stand alone house, can be had for 7- 10 ,000 baht or so IF a Thai friend calls. It may or may not have a telephone line for internet and AC ..

Incidentally , Internet access can be had anywhere if you have an air card , like a cell phone for a laptop, available from CAT However I think public trans may not be the best. .

Edited by HorseDoctor

on the hillside in Kata, get him an ocean view, something like 20-25,000thb

can anyone recommend a place to live in phuket for a man in his early 30s who plays online poker for a living? he needs a decent apartment with internet access,

I suggest you first verify if CAT Telecom blocks access to offshore gaming sites. As you may know, gambling is an illegal activity. The MICT sets the rules and the RTP has a list of 40-50,000 blocked isps/urls depending on which numbers you use.

Have you tried to access some of these sites? Your friend might be disappointed when he can't access his favourite site in Antigua.

catering to people in their 20s. 30s but not sex-related

Is there any farang centric nightlife like that ??? Maybe a couple of 99% Thai joints in HKT town.

I would say Kamala / Karon / Kata fit the description most, with perhaps Surin / Nai Harn / Rawai / Kathu depending on what flavor of the above.

Edited by LivinLOS

Can you gamble online in Thailand? I remember when I first arrived I attempted to play and my account was suspended.

Never tried it again, but it's a risk out here...

Hi

I actually play poker as well and decided to stay away from all the destractions and live pretty far away from the beaches and/or night life. I rent a house near the heroines monument using www.houseinphuket.com, which worked out absolutely great. A word of warning concerning the internet connection. I'm stuck with a ToT phone line and tot dsl, which is very unreliable. Get Cat CDMA as i did. I play on stars exclusively but Partypoker and Fulltilt work as well. With CDMA i experience short disconnects from time to time (30-60 seconds long) which should be okay as long as you play on sites with timebanks. Alternatively get a router which combines dsl & cdma, so you won't diconnect at all. I highly recommend that if you play the bigger NL games.

I personally decided to get a rental car to get around on the islands. I rent a standard 2008 toyota vios for 16k a month. If anyone knows a cheaper way to get my own car for the next year, feel free to share :o

EDIT: Don't tell anyone in person what you do for a living, since gambling is illegal in Thailand. If i am asked i just tell ppl i have a small internet business that basically runs itsself;)

Edited by exlka

Hi

I actually play poker as well and decided to stay away from all the destractions and live pretty far away from the beaches and/or night life. I rent a house near the heroines monument using www.houseinphuket.com, which worked out absolutely great. A word of warning concerning the internet connection. I'm stuck with a ToT phone line and tot dsl, which is very unreliable. Get Cat CDMA as i did. I play on stars exclusively but Partypoker and Fulltilt work as well. With CDMA i experience short disconnects from time to time (30-60 seconds long) which should be okay as long as you play on sites with timebanks. Alternatively get a router which combines dsl & cdma, so you won't diconnect at all. I highly recommend that if you play the bigger NL games.

I personally decided to get a rental car to get around on the islands. I rent a standard 2008 toyota vios for 16k a month. If anyone knows a cheaper way to get my own car for the next year, feel free to share :o

EDIT: Don't tell anyone in person what you do for a living, since gambling is illegal in Thailand. If i am asked i just tell ppl i have a small internet business that basically runs itsself;)

I maybe your neighbour bud :D well close at least .

Send me a Pm ( p.s did you go to macau , manila etc for the appt ) ?