How Health Conscious Are People In Patts?

TripleB

hi TVers,

Just moved out here and trying to settle in and getting to know all the local shops. I used to consume a lot of healthy stuff back home, and, although food here is most excellent, there aren't many healthy restaurants. okay, so you get some veggie choices about, but they're nothing to write home about. are these sort of restaurants hard to find, or am I looking in all the wrong places?

I know we're in Fun city, health is last on your list when you drink bottles after bottles of heineken every other night. But i'm just trying to eat healthily where possible due to my health conditions

Thank you!

You can eat healthy in Pattaya...I heard there is a good vegetarian restaurant near the corner of Pattaya Tai and 3rd Road...diagonally opposite Tony's new market.

Has anyone ever laid eye on cold processed flax see oil? The health supplement range (and price) available in Fascino and other pharmacies is pathetic.

You can buy the flaxseeds themselves at Friendship Market. Good on cereal.

That's a start...thanks! Have you seen any stores with a wide variety of healthy products in your travels? (besides Boots, Watsons and Fascino)

hi all,

thanks for the replies so far! will report back if i come across any decent ones myself.

Sorry, jingthing, didn't mean to offend any beer drinkers. you'll find the comment was actually aimed at myself...i AM the beer drinker...hehehe :D

by the way, what do they sell at fascino apart for flaxseeds etc.?

Villa Market seems to advertise their organic stuff a bit. is there good variety there? been meaning to pop in but last time i went, it was nightmare trying to find parking :o

You might want to be more specific about exactly what you are looking for.

In general, supplements are much more expensive here than the US.

However, you might look into herbal alternatives. A lot of the normal Thai foods are very good for you and proven cancer fighters, such as galangal and basil.

There are a lot of normal greens dishes and you can always ask for normal dishes without meat, or add tofu. Probably a good idea to ask for less oil in Thai but they may laugh at you.

I do a variety of health promoting things here, mostly about specific foods and herbs that I eat, and have had no problem finding what I want here.

sure thai restos will do whatever you ask (within reasons) but i hate to make a fuzz about what should and shouldn't go on my plate.

you can prepare your own healthy food at home but it's not quite the same as eating out. i used to be on a strict low cholesterol, low fat diet back home but it doesn't seem to be a main concern over here. see how much oil they put for a tiny plate of stir fry. anyway, don't mean to moan cos i just love Thai food!

Let's not forget that Japanese food is some of the healthiest on the planet. And it's readily available in Pattaya. I like the consistency of the Fuji chain.

But the main thing to do in Pattaya for your health is to carry condoms with you at all times and use them at the right moments.