Want To Get The Correct Visa

I am considering moving to Pattaya Thailand long term. Because the longest I have stayed at one time is a month I think it is best that I come and stay at least 4 months before I know if I know what it may be like to live here instead of just be on a vacation.

I am a USA citizen and I am retired. I am 55. I am on a pension. I am thinking that I should get a 60 day visa and then do a visa run to get another 60 day visa. Is that the best or easiest way to do it ?

If you are coming for 4 months apply for a single entry tourist visa at a Thai Consulate in the U.S before you come here.........this will give you 60 days upon arrival which can be extended at local immigration within Thailand by 30 days (fee 1900 baht) then if you do a border run (out and straight back in) you will recieve a further 30 days stay....giving you 4 months in total. If you wish to stay 6 months apply for a double entry tourist visa before leaving home.......this will give you a total of 180 days (2 lots of 60 days and 2 lots of 30 day extensions, and 1 border run). There are other options available to you such as a 1 year extension (long stay for the over 50's) ....but best you find out if you like it here first.

Edited by thaiflyer1

If you get the 60 day tourist visa, say a double entry, that will allow you to stay 4 months.

If you decide to stay you will then need a visa run to Penang to get the Non Imm O visa for your retirement.

I suggest you get a multi-entry Non Imm O visa right now, from the consulate in Houston. For the first few months you can do border runs every 3 months, and when you feel that you want to stay, you can apply for an extension of the current entry stamp to a full year.

Supposing you feel settled after the first 2-3 months you can apply for the 1 year extension right away.

If you get the 60 day tourist visa, say a double entry, that will allow you to stay 4 months. 

Or even 6 months with 2 extensions (30 day) within Thailand.You could go down the Non Immigrant visa route at the outset.......just depends how certain you are about what you wish to do.........live here or not?

Thanks very much for the information. I think I will go for the 60 day tourist double entry visa with the extensions in Thailand and 2 outside trips.

Like you say if I feel good about staying I can go get the non immigrant O on one of the outside trips.

Thanks again.

What reason do I give when I apply for the 30 day extension in Thailand ?

Edited by jackgay