Court Orders Aviation Dept. To Pay Compensation

jeffer

The Civil Court yesterday ordered the Aviation Department to pay Bt50,000 compensation to former senator Chirmsak Pinthong for failing to deploy a metal detector at Nakhon Si Thammarat Airport.The court said Chirmsak had to be compensated for worry he faced when taking a Nok Air flight out of the airport on August 16. The former senator feared the flight may not be safe given there was no metal detector to check things passengers carried into the aircraft. Unhappy with what he perceived as lax security measures, Chirmsak lodged a complaint against the Department and Nok Air demanding Bt5.5 million in compensation. 

The case was the first filed under the Consumer Case Procedure Act, which took effect on August 23 to allow consumers to sue more conveniently. Chirmsak lodged the complaint on August 25. "My case took only four months and the court summons witnesses by itself," the former senator said yesterday. 

He encouraged other consumers to protect their rights just like him. 

Ruling on Chirmsak's case, the Civil Court ordered the Aviation Department to pay Bt50,000 compensation to Chirmsak. 

Walailak University borrowed the metal detector from Nakhon Si Thammarat Airport for use during its conferral ceremony, and returned the device on August 15. But airport staff did not start using it again till August 17. The court has acquitted Nok Air on grounds that airliner's duty is only to provide aircraft.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/12/18...al_30091259.php

By Kesinee Taengkiew

The Nation - December 18, 2008

I'm not sure on this but does anyone know if anyone sued and got money out of 12go for terrible safety and shoddy planes?

I flew them once to chiang Mai because everyone else was full, whilst in the North I saw news that they shut the airline down until it improved the safety??

Walailak University borrowed the metal detector from Nakhon Si Thammarat Airport for use during its conferral ceremony, and returned the device on August 15.

:o

It seems like every time I get to the point I think that Thailand has stopped amazing me, something like this pops up.

For me things like this make it the land of smiles :D:D

This guy must have spent some times in the States. I think i will pour some hot chicken noodle soup over myself and see if I can get a few million from the food vendor.

Pouring hot soup (it was coffee not soup) on your self and going to court (can't believe it still) is different than no medal dedector in an airport.

The Civil Court yesterday ordered the Aviation Department to pay Bt50,000 compensation to former senator Chirmsak Pinthong for failing to deploy a metal detector at Nakhon Si Thammarat Airport.The court said Chirmsak had to be compensated for worry he faced when taking a Nok Air flight out of the airport on August 16. The former senator feared the flight may not be safe given there was no metal detector to check things passengers carried into the aircraft. Unhappy with what he perceived as lax security measures, Chirmsak lodged a complaint against the Department and Nok Air demanding Bt5.5 million in compensation.

The case was the first filed under the Consumer Case Procedure Act, which took effect on August 23 to allow consumers to sue more conveniently. Chirmsak lodged the complaint on August 25. "My case took only four months and the court summons witnesses by itself," the former senator said yesterday.

Ruling on Chirmsak's case, the Civil Court ordered the Aviation Department to pay Bt50,000 compensation to Chirmsak.

Walailak University borrowed the metal detector from Nakhon Si Thammarat Airport for use during its conferral ceremony, and returned the device on August 15. But airport staff did not start using it again till August 17. The court has acquitted Nok Air on grounds that airliner's duty is only to provide aircraft.

By Kesinee Taengkiew

The Nation - December 18, 2008

If Chirmsak Pinthong gets Bt50,000 compensation, what about the other passengers on the same plane (and other flights around that time). Must the court treat all man/woman equally? I guess everyone else can file exactly the same claim, to get exactly the same compensation.

By Kesinee Taengkiew

The Nation - December 18, 2008

If he was that worried about flight safety, why did he board the plane? There are plenty of buses and trains out of Nakorn.

If Joe Public had lodged a complaint, how far would he have got?

This country only seems to kowtow to the rich and connected and shit on the man in the street.

If he was so worried about his safety, why did he board the flight in the first place.
:o

my thoughts exactly... he could have simply said "I'm not getting any flight until you scan me" lol

or perhaps he would have been happier with a more traditional, low-tech search... complete with rubber gloves and lubricant...

moron

oh dear... another litigation nation in the makin'... just like the one I was sick of before coming here...

Maybe he'd heard about this fellow's law suit:-

Passenger sues airline for making him so drunk he beat up his wife

A passenger is suing an airline, claiming he was served so much alcohol it led him to beat up his wife.

Yoichi Shimamoto says United Airlines was negligent for allowing him to continue drinking to the point of inebriation during a flight from Osaka, Japan to San Francisco.

Shimamoto claims it was the multiple glasses of Burgundy, served at 20 minute intervals, which led him to strike his wife Ayisha, while the couple were walking through customs in December 2006.

In a lawsuit filed at the US District Court in Tampa, Florida, he claims the wine left him so drunk that "he could not manage himself".

Law experts claim the case will hinge on whether the on-flight drinks service can be classed as a bar and therefore subject to the same legal liabilities as terrestrial drinking establishments.

Bars in the US are legally responsible for harm caused by intoxicated customers.

James Speta, professor at Northwestern University Law School, said: "United's first defence will be there's no tort action like this in international airspace."

Although Shimamoto was charged and sentenced to 18 months' probation, the couple claim United Airlines was ultimately responsible for the violent outburst.

The Japanese businessman was prevented from returning to his home country while his case was ongoing at the San Mateo County courts in northern California.

Shimamoto wants United to pick up the $100,000 tab for Yoichi Shimamoto's bail, and defence costs.

Jean Medina, of United said: "We believe that a lawsuit that suggests that we are somehow responsible for the consequences of a passenger's physical assault on his own wife is without any merit whatsoever."

An airline serving drinks at 20 minute intervals? He certainly wasn't travelling cattle class. :D:o

Maybe he'd heard about this fellow's law suit:-

Passenger sues airline for making him so drunk he beat up his wife

<--- snip --->

yep... that's exactly the kinda horse s#!t3 I'm talking about... I was raised to take responsibility for my actions... if he hit his wife that is HIS fault... if it was because he had too much to drink that's ALSO his fault... saying it's ok to hit his wife because he was drunk is CRA9! then saying that it's the airlines fault that he got drunk.... OMG!!!

Almost as stupid as boarding an aeroplane one does not feel safe on and THEN filing a lawsuit against the airline for it.... almost...