Fish And Chips, Where Is The Good Stuff?

Jingthing

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frozen chips in a British style chippy is like going to an Indian curry house and getting a vesta packet curry[if they still make them lol]

I used to love these as a kid growing up, I used to make the chow mein when I was babysitting my brother - those CRISPY NOODLES!

Perfect! £1.65 at Tesco, must get some on my next trip.

IDShot_540x540.jpg

Next time I will try the blue hake.

I am OK with frozen chips - especially when cooked properly.

Getting consistency with homemade chips can be trcky - and it is just so much easier to use frozen as and when you need them.

At 99 Baht you can't judge this the same as a gourmet meal - but, for me, Frydays is as good as anything I have tried in the last couple of years.

"blue hake" is this a speciality beer or fish that,s gone off sad.png

• 2 weeks later...

You might wanna try the 'Everyday is Fryday' place in soi New Plaza. It's 99 baht for a huge piece w/ chips.

They cut down on the portion size of the chips recently but tbh I'm so full after the meal it would just be more empty calories.

The (homemade?) tartar sauce they serve is really good and you get unlimited refills.

Only real negative point is that they don't do crumbed. I think the battered style is a bit to greasy for me and would like the option to switch (like you can do in Friar Tucks on soi Lengkee)

and the ribs are good too

Yep.

Just had the ribs for supper and they were delicious.

I am not British but I started to like Fish and Chips a lot since I moved to Pattaya. I even like mushy peas.

So where are the best spots you have found?

Here are some comments I have, but I would love more suggestions:

Pig and Whistle, I like it alot but it is 50/50 sometimes good, sometimes not, by good I mean the fish and chips cooked nicely, more fish than batter, not too greasy, the tartar sauce is always lovely. I would settle for the Pig but am annoyed about how unpredictable they are.

Seaside -- cheap and you know why, good value but I can't get excited enough to go there anymore

Bert's Tropical, fish was nice when I went there, but no tartar sauce, a fault I can't live with

Simon's -- expensive, it was pretty good, but the owner has banned me (if you want the gory details, do a search, ha ha)

Sorry Jingthing. I am surprised you did not get any tartar sauce. You should have had it. Along with your bread and butter and the Pacific Dory fillet that comes cooked in beer batter.(Cod is also available) Not forgetting the chunky chips...

Easy answer- do what I do and take your own. I use the pathetically small bowl full that most places provide in a few mouthfulls.

I tried several places last time in Pattaya and never found one that had decent fish- usually too greasy and soggy.

Best fish and chips I ever had was in New Zealand.

Worst- London fish and chip shops. Unless you get there just as they take it out of the fryer it's old, cold, hard and disgusting.

• 1 month later...

Jolly Fryer, Fantastic, had a large cod and chips on Saturday, and it was superb, white chunky cod and an enormous portion, chips were perfect as well, will definitely eat again on my next visit down to Pattaya.. 10 / 10.

• 3 months later...

Couldn't be bothered to read all of this thread, just too long but today on the darkside up the top end of Soi Khao Noi I had the best fish and chips that I have had in Pattaya for a long long time.

The place was the Casuals cafe and bar

Just past the old PJ bar on the left hand side by maybe a couple of hundred yards, when the road flattens out but well before the 90 degree bend to the left further up the Soi

Old style hand cut chips, great mushy peas and the batter on the fish my mate told me was made with beer, delicious and all for 115 Baht

If some one has already mentioned this then I am sorry but it was so blinking good and well cooked , it was a nice change and I thought that the owner who ever he is deserves a mention

Jolly Fryer, Fantastic, had a large cod and chips on Saturday, and it was superb, white chunky cod and an enormous portion, chips were perfect as well, will definitely eat again on my next visit down to Pattaya.. 10 / 10.

Location and price would be helpful. Pattaya is a big place! Do they serve tartare sauce- it's essential?

Location and price would be helpful. Pattaya is a big place! Do they serve tartare sauce- it's essential?

Google is your friend

I am also in the same camp as nuslodados normally, however I went to Frydays last Sunday and had their hoki in batter and it was superb!... The batter was so light and crispy and the owner personally supervised the frying by the chef.

Edited by tolsti

Went to Fridays today and I can confirm this is a great place and for those prices this place will be hard to beat.

What was the fish? cod or that doree rubbish?

Up to you.

Pay your money and take your choice..... Dory, Hake/Blue Grenadier or Cod.

Google is your friend

Fair enough.

• Fish and Chips start from 149 Baht. Guess I won't be dining there anytime soon, and the tartare sauce bowl looks microscopic.

Went to Fridays today and I can confirm this is a great place and for those prices this place will be hard to beat.

3 choices of fish at 3 prices but the 99 bht one works for me

Sounds much more like a decent price to me than The Jolly Friar. Seems like a lot of places think serving western food gives them the right to charge 3 times what an average Thai meal would cost.

I had lunch in the air conditioned Jolly Friar today. I had my breadcrumbed F&C at 149 baht.

For the extra 50 baht (than Fryday where you're sitting in the heat and pollution surrounded by hookers and smokers), I was cool and comfortable watching CNN.

Life is for the living!

I had lunch in the air conditioned Jolly Friar today. I had my breadcrumbed F&C at 149 baht.

For the extra 50 baht (than Fryday where you're sitting in the heat and pollution surrounded by hookers and smokers), I was cool and comfortable watching CNN.

Life is for the living!

Fair enough then, but if they show CNN that's them definitely out of contention for me.

Apparently Fryday give refills of tartare sauce, which makes it a destination I will be heading for when I hit Pattaya next month.

Anyway, other than the tartare sauce ( which I buy at Rimping ) my wife makes better F & C than any restaurant, and I just bought a big bag of crinkle cuts. Yum biggrin.png .

Sounds much more like a decent price to me than The Jolly Friar. Seems like a lot of places think serving western food gives them the right to charge 3 times what an average Thai meal would cost.

How can you compare cod with thai street food . what a complete clueless comment?

Life is for the living!

Agree 100% let the cheap charlies go elsewhere.

Life is for the living!

Fair enough then, but if they show CNN that's them definitely out of contention for me.

Apparently Fryday give refills of tartare sauce, which makes it a destination I will be heading for when I hit Pattaya next month.

Anyway, other than the tartare sauce ( which I buy at Rimping ) my wife makes better F & C than any restaurant, and I just bought a big bag of crinkle cuts. Yum biggrin.png .

Crinkle cut chips and tartare sauce just what I want in a real fish and chip supper...................sick.gif

How can you compare cod with thai street food . what a complete clueless comment?

Have a nice day.

Life is for the living!

Crinkle cut chips and tartare sauce just what I want in a real fish and chip supper...................sick.gif

What's wrong with crinkle cut? At least they aren't those revolting shoestring rubbish. Never found a Thai restaurant other than fast food chains that cook shoestrings properly- always overcooked.

Tartare sauce- I do like a nice bit of fish with my sauce.