Pattaya House Build

expatgaz

Anybody in the know on this please advise,

Are material prices for new builds coming down.I would have thought that at the moment the prices of materials would be pretty good and probably comparable with a year ago.Therefore building prices comparable with a year ago,maybe slightly cheaper with lack of work and companies dropping their profit margin to get the work.

I've been in contact with a few different building companies in/around Pattaya and double block build, Euro spec,3 phase etc etc seems to come in at between 15,000 - 23,000 Baht per m2. Iam quite sure who Iam using but just want some guide lines on price by those in the know.I don't actually want a company to quote me a price on Kitchen and bathroom stuff as I want to decide on that spec seperate so its build with windows/doors tiling and finish etc.

Guidence please,

EPG.

Some prices are coming down, some are going up like cement. don't know about Kitchens and bathroom fittings but here is quick snap shot I did the other day.

C Pack tiles was 11.7 now 10.5

CEMENT RAT was 100.0 1 BAG now 123.0

CEMENT TIGER was 115.0 1 BAG now 142.0

Q CON BLOCK 7.5mm was 15.5 now 19.5

Q CON BLOCK LARGE 15mm was 42.0 now 39.0

SAND 1 truck was 2800.0 now 3,000.0

STEEL C4 was 495.0 6 MTR now 460.0

STEEL C5 was 585.0 6 MTR now 520.0

STEEL C6 was 820.0 MTR now 770.0

The 'was' price is about 1 year ago when I was heavily involved building my place, the 'now' price is last week from HomeMart at Ban Ampur.

I have a friend who is building in Hue Yai, he expects to come in around 12500 baht a meter for a very good and I mean 'very good' european finish on a single storey house 300 sq mtrs. raised off the ground 70 cm.

It is true there are very few projects around but from what I have seen builders are not cutting their prices at all but are in fact putting them up, rather like the music goes up in a bar when there are no customers.

Edited by Rimmer

Steel prices have dropped 50% in the last 6 months.

Although demand for cement has dropped the cement cartel are trying to keep prices high, only Siam City Cement are lowering prices.

Transport costs have halved also so the delivery of materials is a lot cheaper, and is the main cost in some materials.

Cost of labour has gone up slightly.

You should be looking toward the lower end of your stated range (15,000 Baht) to get a decent Euro quality house excludinng specials like marble or double glazed PVC windows etc. Cabinetry would be extra too.

Edited by PattayaParent

Thanks.The above is what I thought,steel cost down quite a lot.Is the 12,500m2 with the guy doing it himself or through Builders etc ??

EPG

No he is using a builder, he already built guest chalets to a very good standard for him but he is now looking for 10,000 a meter and the owner will then buy all the second fix stuff such as tiles, bathroom fittings and such which he will fit.

It's going to come out around 12500 a meter all in.

He is pretty lucky to find this guy as he works for Europeans and knows what they expect.

Last year I built 650 square meters for much less than 10k a meter but that is hard work and you need to contract and pay workers direct and supervise closely.

Thanks.The above is what I thought,steel cost down quite a lot.Is the 12,500m2 with the guy doing it himself or through Builders etc ??

EPG

But steel only accounts for about 7~10% of the total cost of the house, so a 50% drop is only equivalent to 3.5~5% saving. The major cost where you can save money is the finishings and fittings, so you have to ask yourself do you really need the marble jacuzzi with the gold taps?

Agree but in fairness a 5% saving on a 10 mil build is quite considerable.I'll keep the fixtures & fittings seperate as thats where I'll decide the exact specs required.

EPG.

I reckon that f your going to be building your house from Q-con blocks, want UPVC widows, good quality tiles (approx 500baht per sqm), good electrics throughout, 16 to 17,000 baht per sqm is in the right price bracket.

As you have already stated, you are going to do the wood finish kitchen, bathrooms & overall finishes, a/c's, yourself, this will obvously increase the price a bit

If you require any further advice PM me

Agree but in fairness a 5% saving on a 10 mil build is quite considerable.I'll keep the fixtures & fittings seperate as thats where I'll decide the exact specs required.

EPG.

I reckon that f your going to be building your house from Q-con blocks, want UPVC widows, good quality tiles (approx 500baht per sqm), good electrics throughout, 16 to 17,000 baht per sqm is in the right price bracket.

As you have already stated, you are going to do the wood finish kitchen, bathrooms & overall finishes, a/c's, yourself, this will obvously increase the price a bit

Isn't this a 3rd world country that has a coup every 2 years and currently has no government?

Why is a house more expensive to build in Pattaya than it is to build in Miami?

EPG.

Isn't this a 3rd world country that has a coup every 2 years and currently has no government?

No!

EPG.

Don't believe it is more expensive.

In fact better than that, you are talking utter none sense. Where can you find a US construction worker that will work for 250 baht a day?

Edited by Rimmer

EPG.

Don't believe it is more expensive.

In fact better than that, you are talking utter none sense. Where can you find a US construction worker that will work for 250 baht a day?

I think his point was not the wage from the worker but the total price of the house and comparing the quality.