Restaurant Along The River

phetaroi

In early January, American friends will be visiting Bangkok for a few days...and I am trying to plan one day for them to spend with one of my Thai friends. So far we've decided on the things to see -- they will choose from a number of choices such as Wat Phra Keow and Wat Pho in the morning, and Vimanmek and Wat Benchamabophit in the afternoon.

The problem -- a good place for dinner somewhere along the river. They will be staying in Thonburi way down by the Krung Thep Bridge. The places I know are all around Silom, Rajadamri, and Sukhumvit. However, since they'll be spending the whole day nearer the river, it seems that a restaurant in the area of the river makes more sense. It can be on the "somewhat expensive -- but not rediculous -- side", should be "very Thai in terms of authentic culture", and some place that both my American friends and my Thai friend will feel comfortable.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

In early January, American friends will be visiting Bangkok for a few days...and I am trying to plan one day for them to spend with one of my Thai friends. So far we've decided on the things to see -- they will choose from a number of choices such as Wat Phra Keow and Wat Pho in the morning, and Vimanmek and Wat Benchamabophit in the afternoon.

The problem -- a good place for dinner somewhere along the river. They will be staying in Thonburi way down by the Krung Thep Bridge. The places I know are all around Silom, Rajadamri, and Sukhumvit. However, since they'll be spending the whole day nearer the river, it seems that a restaurant in the area of the river makes more sense. It can be on the "somewhat expensive -- but not rediculous -- side", should be "very Thai in terms of authentic culture", and some place that both my American friends and my Thai friend will feel comfortable.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

any of the 5 star riverside hotels include the Shang, Oriental, Peninsula, Marriot Riverside and Sheraton have what you are looking for.

Salathip at the Shangri-La would get my vote. The Marriott is more of a buffet set up at night outside. Don't know Peninsular at night so cannot comment, nor alternatives at the Oriental.

I've been on a few river cruises and often found them very disappointing.

Thanks to all for their suggestions. I agree that cruise dinners are often disappointing, at least in terms of food. I think we're moving slightly away from the river and considering Baan Khanitha -- the branch at Silom/South Sathorn. It appears to me to be "convenient" to a day along the river.

Salathip at the Shangri-La would get my vote. The Marriott is more of a buffet set up at night outside. Don't know Peninsular at night so cannot comment, nor alternatives at the Oriental.

I've been on a few river cruises and often found them very disappointing.

Thanks to all for their suggestions. I agree that cruise dinners are often disappointing, at least in terms of food. I think we're moving slightly away from the river and considering Baan Khanitha -- the branch at Silom/South Sathorn. It appears to me to be "convenient" to a day along the river.

convenient yes, but impressing guests?? - IMO, the river is much more attractive than Sukhumvit. Keep doing some research, there are some stand alone Thai restaurants on the River that get pretty good reviews on here if my memory serves me correct.

Phetaroi why not take the ferry across the river at Tha Phra Chan (next to Thammasat Uni) and when you get out at the other side turn left and walk through the market place following the riverside. You will find a few lovely restaurants on the river's edge down there, not big hotels but places where Thai people eat. Please enjoy and let us know how it goes :o