Longest-term Visa Available To Foreigners In Thailand

Hi all, I read the moderator's summary of the types of visas- is the one-year multiple-entry visa really the longest-term visa a foreigner can get? What about an 'immigrant' visa (as opposed to non-immigrant)? are foreigners allowed to immigrate into Thailand? I'm just wondering which visa will show my strongest attachment to Thailand so as to help my wife with a tourist visa application for the US- the more I can show connection to Thailand the more they'll believe my wife won't overstay. Can I just get one of these long-term immigrant visas but not actually have to live in Thailand? Thanks :o

The only way I am aware of to get a stay over 1 year at a time is to get Permanent Residency, a long drawn out process that requires several years of living in Thailand and paying tax (amongst other things).

I suppose the best you could do would be to get a 1 year extension of whatever visa you have based on being married to a Thai.

I don't know about the US, but the UK seems to place little emphasis on the sponsor's (your) situation when determining "reason to return".

Do you have a job in Thailand? Your wife? How about property or a business?

The only way I am aware of to get a stay over 1 year at a time is to get Permanent Residency, a long drawn out process that requires several years of living in Thailand and paying tax (amongst other things).

I suppose the best you could do would be to get a 1 year extension of whatever visa you have based on being married to a Thai.

I don't know about the US, but the UK seems to place little emphasis on the sponsor's (your) situation when determining "reason to return".

I don't have a job in Thailand, but she does and owns a house and land... I could get my name on them with a usufruct if that helps. Actually for the US tourist visa, I've read at least two posts where an uneducated otherwise no-chance thai girl gets a visa because her husband/boyfriend has a one-year visa in thailand, and several where a hi-so girl is rejected because the husband lives in the US. I actually work in the US- is it at all possible to still get at least the one-year visa? I can always say i 'work' for my wive's business if that helps. thanks

Being married to a Thai national qualifies you foir a non-immigrant visa. You can get a single non-immigrant based on marriage. It will give you 90 days permission to stay. In Thailand itself you can then extend this permission to 1 year if you can either show an income of 40,000 baht a month (from abroad is OK) or 400,000 in a Thai bankaccount. Money in the bank has to be ther for at least 2 months before applying for the extension.

This will show the greatest link with Thailand. Don't forget to apply for a re-entry permit if you have to leave Thailand.

Agree with mario.

Any one year extension will be enogh to show that you have strong ties to Thailand and also intend to return. A marriage extension should be even better.

That is also what the US immigration office accepts as proof of residency in Thailand to be able to submit an application there instead of the states.

Hi all, I read the moderator's summary of the types of visas- is the one-year multiple-entry visa really the longest-term visa a foreigner can get? What about an 'immigrant' visa (as opposed to non-immigrant)? are foreigners allowed to immigrate into Thailand? I'm just wondering which visa will show my strongest attachment to Thailand so as to help my wife with a tourist visa application for the US- the more I can show connection to Thailand the more they'll believe my wife won't overstay. Can I just get one of these long-term immigrant visas but not actually have to live in Thailand? Thanks :o

I don't have a job in Thailand, but she does and owns a house and land... I could get my name on them with a usufruct if that helps. Actually for the US tourist visa, I've read at least two posts where an uneducated otherwise no-chance thai girl gets a visa because her husband/boyfriend has a one-year visa in thailand, and several where a hi-so girl is rejected because the husband lives in the US. I actually work in the US- is it at all possible to still get at least the one-year visa? I can always say i 'work' for my wive's business if that helps. thanks

Svenn,

Don't make matters worse. Don't get an immigrant visa if you have no intention of living in Thailand. It is very difficult to provide proofs that don't exist. You said that you actually work in the US. IF you tell officials that you "work" for your wife, I hope that you at least have a work permit in Thailand and you don't run into TAX problems. My next question would be, how are you able to work in the US and in Thailand? You can't be in two places at the same time. Also, there is a big different between a HUSBAND and BOYFRIEND. Lastly, your situation is unique from others. So know the regulations and the requirements first hand.

Let us take a look at your case. A one year visa in Thailand would slightly increase your ties to Thailand but it doesn't mean much if you don't stay in Thailand for a significant amount of time. Your passport will tell officials the actual length of stay in Thailand. IF you work in the US, then your ties to the US is way stronger than a one year visa in Thailand. So by default, a one year visa in Thailand is useless. (Here is one RED flag.) Having a one year visa with multi-entries stamps (entering & exiting Thailand to go to work in the US) is another RED flag. Putting your name in the deed would decrease her chance of getting a tourist visa to the US since she would no longer have a 100% stake. (Not helping here either.) So in your case, your situation is hurting her chance of getting a tourist visa.

So, let's take a look at her case. You said that she own properties and has a business. These would be good reasons to NOT stay in the US. Demonstrating to the officials that she needs to return to Thailand to run her business increases her chance of getting a US tourist visa. Years of marriage would demostrate to the officials that the relationship is strong. I can only offer this much since I have nothing else to go on.

Edited by tripplejjj

Actually, employees of companies with registered capital over a certain amount will receive extensions of over one year and possibly up to three years. They are usually dealt with at the One-Stop office on Ratchadaphisek rather than Suan Phlu.

I have heard enough comments from US Embassy officials at the Expat club meetings that seems to indicate that the Thai person applying for a US visa is judged solely on their application information and the answers provided during the interview process. The fact that you are married and have been for some time may help her demonstrate to the officials that she is not going to cut and run in the US. But if I understand the Embassy people the status of you the husband has no real bearing on if they grant her a visa to the US.

I include a link to the US Embassy visa info pages. I think if you read all of this both for immigrant and non-immigrant visas to the US it may give you more information on the process.

US Embassy

I have heard enough comments from US Embassy officials at the Expat club meetings that seems to indicate that the Thai person applying for a US visa is judged solely on their application information and the answers provided during the interview process. The fact that you are married and have been for some time may help her demonstrate to the officials that she is not going to cut and run in the US. But if I understand the Embassy people the status of you the husband has no real bearing on if they grant her a visa to the US.

I include a link to the US Embassy visa info pages. I think if you read all of this both for immigrant and non-immigrant visas to the US it may give you more information on the process.

US Embassy

The status of the husband is usually not an issue until the husband makes it part of the issue. That's why the wife is always having problems. If the wife wants a tourist visa to the US then make it about her. Just include the husband as a side note. If an unmarried Thai woman wants to get a tourist visa to the US then it should only be about her. Don't even mention a US citizen boyfriend if she has any. The official is not going to know unless she tells him.

Edited by tripplejjj

I know from personal experience and can tell you that if the wife is not working or has a business to show strong ties to Thailand and the husband is in the states working and supporting her it will be an almost immediate no. I had a discussion with the officer that did the interview when my wife was told no for the last time a few year ago. And he not so politely told me this.

They will push you to get go the immigrant visa route. And without you living here on a one year visa you will not be able to start the process here. You have to do it in the states which take twice as long or more.

If the husband can show strong ties to Thailand then there is a good chance to get the visa. Even if the wife is not working or has a business.

Edited by ubonjoe

I know from personal experience and can tell you that if the wife is not working or has a business to show strong ties to Thailand and the husband is in the states working and supporting her it will be an almost immediate no. I had a discussion with the officer that did the interview when my wife was told no for the last time a few year ago. And he not so politely told me this.

They will push you to get go the immigrant visa route. And without you living here on a one year visa you will not be able to start the process here. You have to do it in the states which take twice as long or more.

If the husband can show strong ties to Thailand then there is a good chance to get the visa. Even if the wife is not working or has a business.

I agreed. But in the case you mentioned, the wife is not working nor has a business. So, no STRONG ties to Thailand hence no tourist visa to the US. So, now the husband has to become a part of the issue by necessity. Let's say you now got a one year visa to stay in Thailand. The next question is, of the 365 days that you are permitted to stay in Thailand, how many days did you actually stayed in Thailand while working in the US. In this case, the situation with the husband is not helping the wife at all. It just makes matter worse. So now you are still fighting a battle that has already been lost. It would be time to go the immigrant visa route. (This looks painful.)

Immigrant Visa

Nonimmigrant Visa for a Spouse (K-3)

What Is a K-3 Visa? Spouses of U.S. citizens, and the spouse's children, can come to the United States on nonimmigrant visas (K-3 and K-4) and wait in the United States to complete the immigration process. Before a K-4 visa can be issued to a child, the parent must have a K-3 visa or be in K-3 status.

Edited by tripplejjj

I know from personal experience and can tell you that if the wife is not working or has a business to show strong ties to Thailand and the husband is in the states working and supporting her it will be an almost immediate no. I had a discussion with the officer that did the interview when my wife was told no for the last time a few year ago. And he not so politely told me this.They will push you to get go the immigrant visa route. And without you living here on a one year visa you will not be able to start the process here. You have to do it in the states which take twice as long or more.If the husband can show strong ties to Thailand then there is a good chance to get the visa. Even if the wife is not working or has a business.
I agreed. But in the case you mentioned, the wife is not working nor has a business. So, no STRONG ties to Thailand hence no tourist visa to the US. So, now the husband has to become a part of the issue by necessity. Let's say you now got a one year visa to stay in Thailand. The next question is, of the 365 days that you are permitted to stay in Thailand, how many days did you actually stayed in Thailand while working in the US. In this case, the situation with the husband is not helping the wife at all. It just makes matter worse. So now you are still fighting a battle that has already been lost. It would be time to go the immigrant visa route.

Immigrant Visa

In my case I was only working on a contract basis hired from Thailand and they paid for my trips back to Thailand. We neither one planned on staying in the states. The company was is even willing to pay for my wifes tickets to the states and cover her expenses rather than me missing work. At that time the one year visa would not of helped.

Also I didn't mention that she owned land 2 houses, had a son in high school and other reasons for coming back being married to me was the reason for the turn downs.

It would be very hard to hide the fact that a woman is married to a US citizen and fraud to do it. I am not even sure that having a job or a business would be enough to overcome the marriage factor if the husband is not living here.

Unless the wife is planning on staying in the states long term an immigrant visa is not good because it creates long term problems. Mostly the tax issue for her. Once a permanent resident she is required to file tax forms and report income the rest of her life unless she formally gives up residency. US immigration will tell you that permanent residency (green card) is not meant to be used as a visa for short stays in the states. So it's a catch 22 situation.

At the time we came up with a long term solution to a stronger tie to Thailand. That was getting her elected as vilage head. I don't think the consulate would turn her down with that job. But as it turned out I am back in Thailand and now have a 1 year extension. I haven't been to the states for over a year now. This coming year we plan on seeing what happens now when she applies.

This is a bit of a sore issue with me because we tried before we got married and then after before we decided to not even try any more until things could be changed.

ubonjoe,

OK, from what I can understand, your situation have changed and the chance for your wife to get a tourist visa to the US has increased BIG time, IMHO. (It now looks similar to mine. Post #28 & 30 ) Just make sure that you can communicate these changes to the officer. The officer will also inquire about the reasons for previous visa denials. During the interview, be polite, don't show any hostility, and don't get into a pissing contest. Good luck!

ubonjoe,

OK, from what I can understand, your situation have changed and the chance for your wife to get a tourist visa to the US has increased BIG time, IMHO. (It now looks similar to mine. Post #28 & 30 ) Just make sure that you can communicate these changes to the officer. The officer will also inquire about the reasons for previous visa denials. During the interview, be polite, don't show any hostility, and don't get into a pissing contest. Good luck!

It has been almost 6 years since the last time we tried. So I don't think they will ask about old ones. Plus a new passport with none of their stamps in the back.

There won't be any argument just a few questions. I will then leave it up to my wifes employer to inquire as to why she was denied a visa.

Merry Christmas

Being married to a Thai national qualifies you foir a non-immigrant visa. You can get a single non-immigrant based on marriage. It will give you 90 days permission to stay. In Thailand itself you can then extend this permission to 1 year if you can either show an income of 40,000 baht a month (from abroad is OK) or 400,000 in a Thai bankaccount. Money in the bank has to be ther for at least 2 months before applying for the extension.

This will show the greatest link with Thailand. Don't forget to apply for a re-entry permit if you have to leave Thailand.

This seems to be the best I have found - and I have lived for here several years. The new rules seem to be a bit more favourable (400,000 for only 2 months), but working - with a proper work permit and multi-re-entry, is still the best option if the employer will stump up the fees. Bear in mind in the latter case you have (I believe) only 7 days to leave the Kingdom if the work ends - they don't care about the fact you may be married to a thai and have a family here.

Best of luck and merry xmas.

This seems to be the best I have found - and I have lived for here several years. The new rules seem to be a bit more favourable (400,000 for only 2 months)

They have also made it a bit less favourable by limiting the financial requirements to the Husband only. In the past it was the Husband or the Wife.

This seems to be the best I have found - and I have lived for here several years. The new rules seem to be a bit more favourable (400,000 for only 2 months)

They have also made it a bit less favourable by limiting the financial requirements to the Husband only. In the past it was the Husband or the Wife.

Yes good point - doesn't affect me - and I didn't meant to suggest that they were doing this as some sort of 'softening' of what continues to be (apparently) an anti-foreign-male policy..(in juxtaposition to an 'unopposed' policy on thai men marrying foreign women).

Yes good point - doesn't affect me - and I didn't meant to suggest that they were doing this as some sort of 'softening' of what continues to be (apparently) an anti-foreign-male policy..(in juxtaposition to an 'unopposed' policy on thai men marrying foreign women).

Just part of the anti female agenda.

is the one-year multiple-entry visa really the longest-term visa a foreigner can get?
No,

you can get 5 years visa with thailandelite.com program.

Thailand Elite visa is a lifetime visa. You get a five year multiple entry visa that is replaced when it expires or when you get a new passport .

You should search this forum for the many varied opinions on the Elite programme.

This seems to be the best I have found - and I have lived for here several years. The new rules seem to be a bit more favourable (400,000 for only 2 months), but working - with a proper work permit and multi-re-entry, is still the best option if the employer will stump up the fees. Bear in mind in the latter case you have (I believe) only 7 days to leave the Kingdom if the work ends - they don't care about the fact you may be married to a thai and have a family here.

You can get a work permit with an extension based upon marriage.

Take the wife and all you documents needed along with your tax receipts to prove income, work permit to show you are working legally and apply for an extension based upon marriage instead of working.

That way if you loose your job there no tie in between your extension and work.

You can also get a re-entry permit at the same time.

You can get a work permit with an extension based upon marriage.

Take the wife and all you documents needed along with your tax receipts to prove income, work permit to show you are working legally and apply for an extension based upon marriage instead of working.

That way if you loose your job there no tie in between your extension and work.

You can also get a re-entry permit at the same time.

I always thought that when you get the job and proceed with the O or B visa to the One Stop place at Rachada-Pisek, the officers there would automatically tie your visa to the job - married or not.

But you're saying they will agree to keep the visa and work permit non-aligned and will issue the work permit without binding it to the visa? So two separate moves that won't affect the other?

There should be no tie in because you are not getting an extension based upon emplyment. You don't have to show all the company documents and etc, All you use is your proof of marriage and income or 400,000 baht in the bank for 60 days. You only have to prove income/money once a year when you do your extension.

You can go to any immigration office 30 days before your extension expires make the application get it approved then when it comes time to renew your work permit you use the extension you already have. This makes them two entirely separate things.

And this is all for your wife's visa application to the US? Or both of you?

I'm sorry if I misread the question, but I work in the immigration sector in the US, albeit primarily on work-based visas. But I deal with it every day, and your case sounds very cut and dry, almost simple.

There are quite a few options, and i'm not certain you need to go through trying to "prove your connection to Thailand" as the main focus of the procedure.

Remember, even though people will relay their news, the details of their case may contain subtle differences, and their interpretation of a 'rejection' or 'approval' might not match what actually got put down in the federal paperwork of the certifying officer.

How long is the US trip for? Tourist/ short stay-based? Which part of the country (this actually does matter more than you would think).

Again, apologies if I didn't understand the meaning in your question, I *do* see many have covered the Thai side of the equation quite well. : )

At the American Embassy in Thailand, do you deal with US personnel or, like Canadians, deal with the snarky Thai women they hire in BKK?

I have heard, from more than one person, that the 'hassle' of getting their wives over for a visit was avoided by flying to Singapore, and other locations, getting instant approval. That was a few years ago.

Her owning property is a good thing. Like someone said, don't dilute that by going on title.

Where do you want to live with her, Thailand or America? What about starting up a spousal visa, or is that a high hurdle?

In the time you have, and whatever you can afford, take her on visits to as many countires as possible. Get her Passport with some history of returning from holidays. A trip to Canada and back might look good on them?

If you are dealing with those Thai women, like Canucks have to, remember what they are hired to NOT let through. Instead of you, have her bring an aunt who explains how your wife takes care of her mother and nieces. How she wants to live in America someday, but not until her mother is cared for.

At the American Embassy in Thailand, do you deal with US personnel or, like Canadians, deal with the snarky Thai women they hire in BKK?

I have heard, from more than one person, that the 'hassle' of getting their wives over for a visit was avoided by flying to Singapore, and other locations, getting instant approval. That was a few years ago.

Her owning property is a good thing. Like someone said, don't dilute that by going on title.

Where do you want to live with her, Thailand or America? What about starting up a spousal visa, or is that a high hurdle?

In the time you have, and whatever you can afford, take her on visits to as many countires as possible. Get her Passport with some history of returning from holidays. A trip to Canada and back might look good on them?

If you are dealing with those Thai women, like Canucks have to, remember what they are hired to NOT let through. Instead of you, have her bring an aunt who explains how your wife takes care of her mother and nieces. How she wants to live in America someday, but not until her mother is cared for.

At the US consulate it will be a US civil servant which I think is much worse than any Thai lady could be.

They will turn you away at any nearby US consulate and most likely others unless she is living there aready.

If they planned on living in the states he would probably take the immigrant visa route. But that can take a year to get sometimes.

I always thought that when you get the job and proceed with the O or B visa to the One Stop place at Rachada-Pisek, the officers there would automatically tie your visa to the job - married or not…

There is no automatic tie-in. On your application for extension of stay you have to write the reason for the application. There is a field near the bottom of page 1 for this. If you write “to live with my Thai wife” and don’t confuse the immigration officer with contradictory talk about “work visa” or the like, this is the extension you should get. Check the stamp when you get the extension approval. There will be a short Thai text, usually applied with a rubber stamp, to indicate the reason for extension.

--

Maestro