Donating Blood In Bangkok

camerata

RH negative blood is still needed for survivors of the tsunami. In Bangkok, if the Red Cross in Henri Dunant Road isn't convenient for you, you can donate blood at Samitivej Hospital, Sukhumvit Soi 49. It's a leading private hospital.

At Samitivej, you go to the 1st floor of building 1. They will take 18cc of blood for testing there (at the Ladies Health section, immediately to the right after entering the main door). If you don't know your blood type, they'll take you to the 7th floor to have it typed first. If you know it is RH negative, they'll take you to the third floor, room 301, where they'll relieve you of 400cc of blood.

At Building 2, 1st floor, they also have a place to donate goods for disaster relief.

When I called Bumrungrad Hospital about donating blood, they told me to go to Chulalongkorn Hospital. So a big raspberry for Bumrungrad...

And I just heard there are 500 people lined up to give blood at the Red Cross, so Samitivej might be a more convenient alternative to donate. I didn't have to wait at all.

Edited by camerata

Just got back from donating blood at the Red Cross in Henry Dunant Road - BIG queues with long waits but don't let that put you off. I must say the staff were most helpful and actually made the whole thing a breeze apart from the waiting but that's inevitable in this situation. No big deal and it's well worth the effort.

Still a huge demand for RH- so get on down there if you can.

Edited by triplegee

Do you know if they can use A+?

All I have heard is the need for RH Negative.

Thanks.

At Samitivej they only need RH-neg. It's a small facility with two beds and one nurse. I doubt they could handle all blood types, so they are just taking the ones most urgently needed.

Will not be in BKK till 2nd January but am still willing to give blood and i am B Pos RN.

Where people will i go thanks.

Go to the Red Cross on Rajdamri Road in Bangkok

From The Nation:

Princess appeals to foreign community to donate blood

Published on December 29, 2004

HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn, executive vice president of the Thai Red Cross Society, has sent e-mails to several embassies seeking blood donations for tsunami victims.

The Princess has also asked hotel associations to urge foreign guests to donate blood to foreign victims of last Sunday’s tsunami, who made up most of the injured.

Foreign tourists in Chiang Mai queued up to donate blood following a call from the local Red Cross branch. “So far more than 50 Westerners have volunteered to donate blood and we should have several more later today,” Ornnadda Tantipat, director of the branch, said yesterday. In greatest need is Rh-negative blood, which 15 per cent of Westerners have as against only four in 1,000 Thais.

The Red Cross’ disaster service centre has called for A, O and Rh-negative blood. It has also asked for blankets, tissue paper, canned food, underwear, sanitary napkins, drinking water, trash bags and coffins. The society will receive blood donors until 7pm daily and other donations for 24 hours. The Red Cross’ number is 02 251 3111 ext 114, 157, 161, 162.

Dr Ratchanee Ocharoen, director of the National Blood Centre, said the blood bank had to borrow support staff from Chulalongkorn Hospital as it was unable to cope with the flood of donations. Yesterday some 4,000 units of blood were taken.

Another official said the centre had delivered 17 units of Rh-negative blood out of the 44 units requested by southern hospitals on Monday and expects to complete the order today. Further requests for blood are likely.

Some 400 hundred officers from the Crime Suppression and the Highway Police and the Royal Police Cadet Academy volunteered to donate blood at the National Police Office.

Wantanee Wattana, president of the Police Wives’ Association, said more than 1,000 volunteers, including police, civilians and foreigners, gave blood. Blood donations will be sent to be checked for Rh-negative units, which are needed most before the blood units are delivered to the Southern Police Hospital.

Short on time and resources, I called the Red Cross to ask about giving blood.

They said it was a two-hour wait. This was Friday afternoon. They are open again on Saturday morning at 8am.

If you have the time, check it out.

I also asked if I could bring relief supplies. I have some clothing to donate, but they said it wasn't needed. "Just bring yourself," they said.

I will hold on to my shirts and shoes until another time when response efforts aren't being taxed.

Also, I might not get over there to give blood at this time. But you can give blood anytime, every three months. Something I will try to remember.

URGENT! BLOOD GROUP NEEDED FOR HELP PEOPLE ARE INJURED " SUMATRA EARTHQUAKE AND TSUNAMIS IN THAILAND"

On-site blood collection. Eligible blood donors of any blood group, especially Rh negative group, can come to the National Blood Center to give blood any day at these times:

Weekdays 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Saturdays and other official holidays 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 a.m.

Sundays 12:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

or call 0 2256 4300.

Announce date : 28 Dec 04 12:48

Angie

It has been said that the required quote is already met (1000s people already have donated), however I do not believe that this applies to your NEG blood.

The place is on the street that goes from Patpong to Siam Square, very centric, very easy to find. If you have any issue I am in Bangkok and I can give you a ride to the Red Cross, just advice.

In a radio interview today, the head of the Red Cross said they still need about 3-5 units of RH-negative blood per day. She said that today and tomorrow (Sunday) they will open from 8am until there are no more donors, which she estimated would be around midday. They'll be working with very few staff tomorrow.