Retirement Visa And Poor Health

Well, after taking some advice from some of you sages here at TV, I have decided to spend more time in Thailand before applying for a visa for my fiancee to come over here to the USA. It will give me more time to get to know her and her family, as well as give me some time to improve my health.

My question is regarding a retirement visa in addition to my poor health. I just turned 50 and have had arthritis and severe psoriasis since I was 20 and the warm sun and ocean water of Thailand improve my condition immensely. In other words, I am susceptible to cold climates. I would like to stay in Thailand for at least 3 months starting in March 2009, and then return again in August 2009 for at least another 3 - 6 months, my long term goal is to possibly permanently reside in Thailand within a few years.

Should I apply simply for a retirement visa or should I mention my documented health condition? I would like to get the longest term visa possible with the least amount of cash needed to be parked in Thailand. Currently I have no money in Thailand, its all in the USA.

I saw this link and just wanted some opinions.

http://www.thaivisa.com/318.0.html

Thank you.

Edited by rideswings

Well, after taking some advice from some of you sages here at TV, I have decided to spend more time in Thailand before applying for a visa for my fiancee to come over here to the USA. It will give me more time to get to know her and her family, as well as give me some time to improve my health.

My question is regarding a retirement visa in addition to my poor health. I just turned 50 and have had arthritis and severe psoriasis since I was 20 and the warm sun and ocean water of Thailand improve my condition immensely. In other words, I am susceptible to cold climates. I would like to stay in Thailand for at least 3 months starting in March 2009, and then return again in August 2009 for at least another 3 - 6 months, my long term goal is to possibly permanently reside in Thailand within a few years.

Should I apply simply for a retirement visa or should I mention my documented health condition? I would like to get the longest term visa possible with the least amount of cash needed to be parked in Thailand. Currently I have no money in Thailand, its all in the USA.

Thank you.

You can get a Non O-A Retirement Visa in the States. You would then be able to leave your money in an American bank. details here http://www.thaiembdc.org/consular/visa/Non-Imglong.aspx

Or Get a 12 month extension for retirement in Thailand but you would need to put 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank. Unless you have a monthly income of 65,000 Baht. You would then need a letter from the USA Embassy verifying this. You could also use a combination of income and bank money.

Your health won't help get the visa or extesnion of stay.

If you want to get a retirement extension you would need to show 65,000 baht per month income proven by an affidavit you would do at the US consulate. Or 800,000 baht in a Thai bank for 60 days. Or you can do a combination of the two to reach the 800K amount. With that you could stay in Thailand as long as want and by getting a re-entry travel in and out of the country.

You can also get a non-oa visa in the states that would give you one year and does not require the funds be deposited in Thailand. See this webpage on the DC embassy website. http://www.thaiembdc.org/consular/visa/Non-Imglong.aspx.

I think that the OP is worried about the requirement for a medical certificate that would be required to obtain a "retirement" visa.

He should not worry since the form is primarily interested in whether or not you suffer from the following:

Leprosy, TB, Elephantiasis, Drug Addiction, or Third Step of Syphilis, and is in "good physical and mental health free from any defect".

should I mention my documented health condition?

NO, just the form

1a004_1.pdf

Lite Beer - if I apply for the 12 month extension in Thailand if I can prove the minimum monthly income here in the USA?

Langsuan Man - I was mentioning my health condition to see if would help ease or expedite a Visa, but thanks for the info.

Thanks UbonJoe!

if I apply for the 12 month extension in Thailand if I can prove the minimum monthly income here in the USA?

Apply for the 12 month extension at Immigration in Thailand. Get the letter from the Embassy as proof of your income. You do not have transfer it to all to Thailand.

The Rule.

2.22 In the case of a retiree: Permission will be granted for a period of not more

than 1 year at a time.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM);

(2) The applicant is 50 years of age or over;

(3) Proof of income of not less than Baht 65,000 per month; or

(4) Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than

800,000 Baht as shown in the bank account for the past 3 months at the filing date of the application. For the first year, the applicant should have that amount in his bank account for not less than 60 days or

(5) Annual income plus bank account deposit totaling not less

than Baht 800,000 as of the filing date of application

I saw this link and just wanted some opinions.

http://www.thaivisa.com/318.0.html

Thank you.

So sorry for you but if you want stay in thailand only for improve your health is not the right country.

For cure yourself and live well you must to go in egypt on the read sea.

Many people from europe can improve and feel very good when they have desease same you.

Also because psoriasis cannot improve so much in a wet ambient like this.

Plus in egypt i was in Sharm el Shiekh for 6 yrs, no problem for visa 20 dollars 1 year visa in 2 minute, no question, no money to show a paradise for visa.

I know is not a place for nightlife or fun(lady fun for other thinks you can find more than in thailand now) and they have a chip fly for thailand.

Some people They stay 6 month in Sharm and 3 month in thailand.....

Hope this help you.

I think that the OP is worried about the requirement for a medical certificate that would be required to obtain a "retirement" visa.

He should not worry since the form is primarily interested in whether or not you suffer from the following:

Leprosy, TB, Elephantiasis, Drug Addiction, or Third Step of Syphilis, and is in "good physical and mental health free from any defect".

should I mention my documented health condition?

NO, just the form

1a004_1.pdf

I wonder what doctors think when they sign the health certificate after reading the last phrase of "....free from any defect." Is there such a human, especially us older folks, who may have a minor/major defect due to getting older such as hypertension, failing eyesight/hearing, no teeth, etc...etc...etc.

But barring that last phrase, it's my understanding a person is good-to-go for a retirement visa/extension of stay as long as he/she don't have one of the 5 major diseases listed on the form which is turned in with the application.

As FYI, when I got my Thai drivers license the hospital/doctor issued the exact same form as in the attachment and it was clear I was there to get a medical certificate for a drivers license...I guess he just looked at me and knew I didn't have any of those 5 major diseases (why waste time with blood tests...just do a visual scan) as I was in-and-out in 15 minutes with no blood tests. :o

Pib - I know you are right. The Red Sea would prove to be a good place to heal my psoriasis and arthritis, but I have a fiancee in Thailand already. Now, if I could take my gf with me to Sharm el Shiekh, that would be absolute heaven for me! Can a Thai really get a Visa to Egypt so quickly??? If so, that might be my destination of choice for a few months to heal.