Pattaya Volunteer Tourist Police

McLovin

Have only just arrived in Pattaya, and was on Walking Street last night, not late, about 10pm. There were several or so volunteer tourist police members there, chests pushed out, getting their photo taken. Apparently it was for a story in the Bangkok Post.

I asked one what authority and powers they had. Well, didn't that invoke a response, "why do you want to know - are you from the press". Anyway, to cut a long story short, I ended up having a conversation with this chap, and he seemed to be genuinely interested in helping tourist, and was actually quite pleasant. If they are doing good, then good for them.

What I would like to know, has anyone had any experiences with them? How would they react if you wanted to make a complaint about one of the BIB extorting money from you? Do the BIB share the wealth through their corrupted gains with their unpaid counterparts?

Have only just arrived in Pattaya, and was on Walking Street last night, not late, about 10pm. There were several or so volunteer tourist police members there, chests pushed out, getting their photo taken. Apparently it was for a story in the Bangkok Post.

I asked one what authority and powers they had. Well, didn't that invoke a response, "why do you want to know - are you from the press". Anyway, to cut a long story short, I ended up having a conversation with this chap, and he seemed to be genuinely interested in helping tourist, and was actually quite pleasant. If they are doing good, then good for them.

What I would like to know, has anyone had any experiences with them? How would they react if you wanted to make a complaint about one of the BIB extorting money from you? Do the BIB share the wealth through their corrupted gains with their unpaid counterparts?

In my experience "dont waste your time with them" maybe if you found the one with the least trinkets on their belt [not an easy task] you might have better luck.......

I caught sight of a new Pattaya "newspaper" last week while having some food and the main story was a interview with some new honcho at Immigration police and of all things the story seemed to resolve around the integrity of some of the said volunteers - seemed an odd subject to discuss at least to me (unless something untoward is going on).

Howard is quite alright and genuinely helpful.

Not to mention I quite imagine - work permit/visa is given - so that alone is prob worth being a TPV.

I have heard this statement several times here on TV, yet I have never had anyone substantiate it. Show me the regulation where there is any exception for any type of volunteers to obtain preferential treatment for visa's.

Personally, I can't think of any good and worthy reason for being a VTP.

Secondly, it's in the interest of the Thai authorities to use the VTP and it's members for their propaganda and to give them credibility, absolutely nothing more. Anyone who thinks otherwise in my opinion is kidding themselves

If members of the VTP don't mind being used in this way (and truth be known, abused behind their backs) then fine.

Secondly, it's in the interest of the Thai authorities to use the VTP and it's members for their propaganda and to give them credibility, absolutely nothing more. Anyone who thinks otherwise in my opinion is kidding themselves

If members of the VTP don't mind being used in this way (and truth be known, abused behind their backs) then fine.

What a load of cobblers you speak.

the VTP seem to do a good job,even though they dont get paid and can be involved in problems without any sort of defensive equipment.

They also give up their valuable time,and with most speaking engish i believe they are invaluable to the community and tourist areas.

Two nights ago, a huge guy walked out of the 7/11 on Walking Street right by the parked police van and the desk, took his burger out of a plastic bag, and proceeded to drop the bag on the street right in front of the cops. One of them, an older guy with short white hair, walked straight over and told this messy monstrous moron to pick the bag up and put it in the bin, which was all of about a metre away. The arrogant, seven-foot tall piece of stupid white trash refused to do what he was told, and started to walk off. The cop got angry and threatened to cuff him and take him to the station. By this time two other TP or VTP had joined the affray, and the idiot farang tourist decided that he probably should do as told, and without apologising or saying anything, he picked up the bag and put it in the bin, and then walked off.

All I can say is, good show for the VTP! Well done lads. Personally, I would have given them a round of applause if they HAD cuffed the stupid slob and chucked him in the slammer. We do not need ignorant <deleted> like this porcine litterbug in Pattaya.

Not worse than most Thais. Almost daily I see Thais sitting in the back of pick-up trucks throwing litter over board. I agree that something should be done about the problem, but not just slob farangs, also slob Thais... and there are a lot more of them, just look at all the litter on the smaller sois on the dark side.

Why behind there back.

Not worse than most Thais. Almost daily I see Thais sitting in the back of pick-up trucks throwing litter over board. I agree that something should be done about the problem, but not just slob farangs, also slob Thais... and there are a lot more of them, just look at all the litter on the smaller sois on the dark side.

Yes, Thais learn at a very young age on how to be a litter lout!!

:o:D:D

I caught sight of a new Pattaya "newspaper" last week while having some food and the main story was a interview with some new honcho at Immigration police and of all things the story seemed to resolve around the integrity of some of the said volunteers - seemed an odd subject to discuss at least to me (unless something untoward is going on).

That article was directed at the Foreign Police Volunteers based at Soi 9 Police Station and not the Tourist Police Assistants who are heavily vetted before they are allowed to join our group. Apparently there is some concern that the Pattaya Police group are not vetted and are allowed to receive a full badge with little or no training, an issue which I can neither confirm or deny because I am not part of their group. Our group is part of a national unit which is tightly controlled.

Anyway.......just to let you know that the article will appear in the Spectrum Magazine which is part of the Bangkok Post Sunday Newspaper. It will be published on Sunday 1st February. Should be an interesting read because the writer went out on the streets of Pattaya and asked them what they thought of us. I don't know what they said because he would not tell me and I will not be able to see the article prior to its publication. There is also an interview with me and another of the FTPA group.

Howard

Edited by hm1973

I assume we are talking about the foreigners here and not the Thai Volunteers?

In my opinion....if they can help me out of a problem while I am here in Thailand then I am in favour of their group.

Colin

I think think is how they should be viewed rather than negative comments made by others who have had no contact with them. :o