Birth Certificate By Hospital!

i will be requiring to get a visa extension in the near future due to taking care my new child ......the hospital told me to bring my passport so they can register the birth for us,i thought i had to go to the amphur myself with baby and mother to make it all official.anyone got any advice, i presume the hospital will copy my passport and take to the local place and register for us.will this be ok for me as i dont want problems at the immigration office when i apply for the extension

Tatoodrob,

We had our first baby in Ayutthaya during December,we were told that they would take care of this for us until they realised I was a westerner and they then said they could not do this...

I went to the local Umphur,very easy..no need to takle the mother,do need to go with a family member tho,if the wife cant go and house book..

Nick

i will be requiring to get a visa extension in the near future due to taking care my new child ......the hospital told me to bring my passport so they can register the birth for us,i thought i had to go to the amphur myself with baby and mother to make it all official.anyone got any advice, i presume the hospital will copy my passport and take to the local place and register for us.will this be ok for me as i dont want problems at the immigration office when i apply for the extension

It depends if you are married to the mother or not. If you are married the hospital can take care of this. If you are not married you have to do the registration of the birth yourself!

More information for when you are not married here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Gain-Parenta...-M-t235443.html

It would appear that hospitals offering to assist in this capacity may actually create a whole heap of problems for unmarried western fathers.

Not only western fathers, for all fathers who are not married. Unfortunatly some hospitals are unfamiliar with the rules.

If you let a third party, eg a hospital, handle the birth registration you should take care that they get you name, the child’s name and the mother’s name correctly onto the official record and the birth certificate, as it can be cumbersome to get a mistake corrected later. Note that all names will be written in Thai.

If you already have some kind of official document, eg wedding certificate, with your name in Thai you may want to ensure that the same Thai spelling is used on the birth certificate.

--

Maestro

If you let a third party, eg a hospital, handle the birth registration you should take care that they get you name, the child’s name and the mother’s name correctly onto the official record and the birth certificate, as it can be cumbersome to get a mistake corrected later. Note that all names will be written in Thai.

If you already have some kind of official document, eg wedding certificate, with your name in Thai you may want to ensure that the same Thai spelling is used on the birth certificate.

--

Maestro

I agree and we went to particular lengths to get this right. The mother wanted the baby daughter to have a western name.

However, I am not yet able to 100% agree that the process of registration is the actual person delivering the registration documents. You could use a motorbike taxi for instance. Would she / he actually be classed as the person who registered the birth or merely, as I suspect, the courier carrying the documents for the real people registering the birth, namely the parents.

I am trying to see what the legal situation really is for the documents we signed to register the birth in our hospital.

It would appear that hospitals offering to assist in this capacity may actually create a whole heap of problems for unmarried western fathers.

Not an expert....but my lady, fresh from giving birth, took my passport to a registrar type person in the hospital - I think this maybe for hospital records. We then went to a registration office with the relevant paperwork including the document from the hospital.

just my experience.

Not an expert....but my lady, fresh from giving birth, took my passport to a registrar type person in the hospital - I think this maybe for hospital records. We then went to a registration office with the relevant paperwork including the document from the hospital.

just my experience.

Again, I put forward that there is a lack of clarity in this area and my investigations, which are ongoing, have found this to be the case.

I suspect that the origination of law in this area was because of absentee fathers rather than the reverse and the historical lack of babies actually being registered at all. Potentially there was also some desire for fathers to be able to disinherit children who they did not officially recognise. Of course, all this was way before DNA etc.

Personally, I think it is an outdated concept and if challenged with sufficient resources, we would see it collapse as the house of cards it surely is. In the interim, it remains a thorn in the side.

Mu main non DNA challenge would be the issuance of a Thai passport which requires the father and mother to sin and agree in front of a higher legal authority than some local Amphur.

• 3 weeks later...