Art Film Hits Pattaya Cinema!

Jingthing

Now that we have THREE, count 'em THREE cinema multiplexes in Pattaya, its time to get some more DIVERSE PROGRAMMING! Don't you agree? Pretty much the SAME SAME movies in all of the cinemas, and mostly bloody awful films in the mix as well. Of course the Thai films are mostly not very good but I am happy there is a Thai film industry and it is good to see Thai movies in Thailand. As far as the western films, almost all either Hollywood blockbusters (nothing wrong with those and the big money can't be argued with) but also many offerings of totally bad box office duds from Hollywood being passed off as good movies. I am guessing they are banking that the Thai market doesn't study review sites like rottentomatoes to see that the film they are offering is rated 5 percent approval.

So we have great cinemas with poor repetitive content overall.

So why not some more diverse programming in Pattaya? More art films. More indy films. More just plain good films that are not blockbusters or dog duds but that just don't get released outside Bangkok?

People who know Bangkok know there are some venues for these more diverse films, mostly in Siam Square area and also the House Cinema.

Well, now folks, an ART FILM is NOW PLAYING at a major Pattaya cinema! One the poster says is exclusive to Paragon Bangkok cinema, but that is wrong, it is now in Pattaya.

The film is called SOI COWBOY. It is not what you think. There are no scenes of dancing bar girls in this movie. This is purely an ART FILM, in the best and worse sense of the word. There are real time scenes of a big fat farang's early morning activities with his found out of the bar pregnant Thai girlfriend. There is a real time scene of an old farang lady using a walker going down a hotel hall, and then turning around, at walker speeds, for no apparent reason. There is also a head in bag, which we never see (the head). If you think you hate art films you are going to hate this. It is not a Thai film per se, it is set in Thailand though and does explore some interest to many farangs in Thailand.

Bottom line, I am not saying SOI COWBOY is a particulary great film, I don't think it is. But it is worth seeing if you can tolerate art films, and to my view more importantly it may encourage the MAJOR CINEMA at the AVENUE MALL that there is a market for more DIVERSE PROGRAMMING here. Yes, I am suggesting we buy tickets to this film for somewhat political reasons, show the management there is a market here. Based on the crowd I saw at my showing, about FOUR customers, perhaps there isn't a market.

But now you know. It is playing now. Stop complaining about no variety in Pattaya cinemas and perhaps DO SOMETHING about it. While you're at it, you can flip a bird at the bogus Pattaya taxi "meters" always waiting like vultures at the Avenue Mall for a desperate tourist.

Cheers and ENJOY THE MOVIES!

Some reviews of SOI COWBOY:

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117937158...p=H2BE&cs=1

http://www.bangkokpost.com/entertainment/m...house-meets-soi

Edited by Jingthing

That is very good news indeed!

Back in Germany we had so called "program cinemas" where the visitors could write on a big piece of paper near the entrance what movies they wanted to see. If ever possible those movies were on show the next or after next month.

Every month they had a program, similar to a TV program, indicating which movie is on on which day at what time.

Something I would seriously miss in Thailand - if there were no torrents... :o

Very bad movie unfortunately, barely watchable. I say Boycott this rubbish - Patters needs good movies, not crap!!! :o

I am not arguing it is a great film. I am arguing for more diverse film programming. Programmers at these theaters don't see good or bad film, they see CATEGORIES. If an art film programming experiment fails in Pattaya, the management there may decide there is NO MARKET in Pattaya for ANY diverse programming. You don't want MORE CHOICES? OK, don't go. I think a lot of us DO want more choices in movie programming here.

That said, I have to admit this particular film SOI COWBOY is really the kind of film only seasoned film festival type viewers will probably enjoy. It does have Thai related content of course. It is a hard core art film and by hard core I do not mean sex. Frankly, I was rolling my eyes with the scene of the old lady in a walker walking down the hall.

Edited by Jingthing

People are not in Pattaya for the fine arts and culture.

Considering the numbers of Europeans from Germany or The Netherlands (for example) I would consider popular movies like Das Boot, Oorlogswinter or even Jamón, jamón (If there were Thai subtitles/dub.) might produce more sales than 'art' movies in English.

BTW. I read the Soi Cowboy reviews here and on other websites, the whole B+W & Color sections of movies harks back to a French 'art' film where the critics aclaimed the brilliant use of B+W to give a depth to the different moods of the film, only for the producer to later admit it was cost that drove them to use B+W for later scenes as the production ran out of money. Life mimicking Art mimicking Life - or is that the other way round?

Cuban, I am sorry if you don't understand me. I agree films like Das Boot would be great. Did you not understand this line:

More just plain good films that are not blockbusters or dog duds but that just don't get released outside Bangkok?

Of course that includes films made from all over the world! Such quality films are also made in the US and most are not realeased in Pattaya OR Bangkok, but some are released in Bangkok only. Geez.

I am not suggesting they show OLD good films like Das Boot, but there modern day equivalents being released now. BTW, Das Boot did great box office internationally, not just Germany.

My hope is that Pattaya's programming can be AT LEAST as diverse as what's available on Bangkok's screens. That's probably not going to happen because we don't have a place like the House here, but we have to start somewhere.

I am not saying we need more hard core art house films like Soi Cowboy, I am saying we want more diverse programming and more quality films.

As far as what people who live in or visit Pattaya want, that is CHANGING. Pattaya is morphing into a BIG CITY. With diverse people and diverse interests. The city fathers here want to move away from sex tourism to something higher quality in the mix. They are on to something. If they are smart, they will start to promote what has helped many other world cities move to the next step: ARTS AND CULTURE. There is no reason that Pattaya cannot be an ARTS AND CULTURE center of Thailand outside Bangkok. I expect over time we will see FILM FESTIVALS here and also more of an arts scene, perhaps an ART GALLERY DISTRICT.

Edited by Jingthing

Jingthing, I assure you I do understand the ideal of '...good films that are not blockbusters or dog duds but that just don't get released outside Bangkok.', but I understand the problems of supply chain. The movie theater must get the print, I'm not sure if any Pattaya theater can do direct digital yet(?), for which I assume will create a cost over and above the standard process that is in effect for the Hollywood or Thai movies doing the 'new movie' circuit. That cost must be covered by ticket sales and more importantly popcorn, candy & cola sales - as it is the 'food' sales where the profits are made by the theater. I would speculate that 'art house' movie goers don't consume large amounts of junk food?

These days the issue of royality payments is a big issue in Thailand, gone are the days (I understand) that you could spend an afternoon in a bar watching a tape (or VCD) of a movie (old or new) while having a few beers. Although that would be an ideal venue to start a grass roots movement, showing 'art house' movies, but the moment it were seen to attract more than a small handful of customers over and above any nearby bar, you would surely find that an 'interested party' would arrange for a visit by copyright licencing or city hall licencing. To run such a venture legally would be beyond even the scope of doing it for fun let alone profit.

My hope is that Pattaya's programming can be AT LEAST as diverse as what's available on Bangkok's screens. That's probably not going to happen because we don't have a place like the House here, but we have to start somewhere.
I don't think Patttaya has the demographic to even support the idea let alone a real 'art' movie theater. Bangkok is more cosmopolitan than Pattaya, where the focus is on beach (!), fun and holidays.
I am not saying we need more hard core art house films like Soi Cowboy, I am saying we want more diverse programming and more quality films.
Yes - I see that your OP was not in support of Soi Cowboy the movie, but what it might supposed to be. However from what I have read, I didn't consider it to be 'art' - just not good. (I have not seen the movie - not desire to do so.)
As far as what people who live in or visit Pattaya want, that is CHANGING. Pattaya is morphing into a BIG CITY. With diverse people and diverse interests. The city fathers here want to move away from sex tourism to something higher quality in the mix.
Let's get the basics right first, repair the holes in the streets, publish Baht Bus fare structures in English, German, Korean and Russian and sort out the flow of water - both in our taps and flood control.
....world cities move to the next step: ARTS AND CULTURE. There is no reason that Pattaya cannot be an ARTS AND CULTURE center of Thailand outside Bangkok. I expect over time we will see FILM FESTIVALS here and also more of an arts scene, perhaps an ART GALLERY DISTRICT.
The old Bottle Art Gallery is available to buy.

Pattaya is not a World city, it's a beach (!) holiday destination with a bias toward single men with disposable incomes, or Russians using it as a base for day trips. A festival fo this type of movie might go down well in some places?

I like the Iranian movie The White Balloon, I have my own copy, how many people reading this thread would want to see it in a theater on a Tuesday night? If there were 10 people I would be surprised.

People are not in Pattaya for the fine arts and culture.

Strongly disagree!

There are people living in and around Pattaya that have a craving for arts and culture and although Pattaya has a lot to offer and is otherwise for me a perfect place to live - we could do well with some culture!

And it must not be just high-end art movies (which I personally consider rather boring), but Peter Greenaway for instance deserves a larger audience. Also long-time-no-see movies from Monty Python, Woody Allen, Quentin Tarrantino and so on could drag me into a cinema.

Also long-time-no-see movies from Monty Python, Woody Allen, Quentin Tarrantino and so on could drag me into a cinema.
Isn't this why there is farang targeted local TV and DVD sales?

Look at Pattaya Mail classified adverts to see at least one 'company' selling to a particular sector of the farang market not catered to by Tukcom and the street sellers.

What could work would be a movie showing to order organised by one of the locals clubs, Expats or Pattaya Ladies etc. That would act as a central focus as a club and would possibly have the connections to arrange a regular hire of one of the screens at Major or Big C on a quiet night. Promote the screening to holiday makers as well as locals. It would interesting to see what ticket price could be achieved.

As for movies for the big screen, worthy of using the space, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and Deep Cover, both IMHO showed use of cinematography rather than just making a movie.

like the Iranian movie The White Balloon, I have my own copy, how many people reading this thread would want to see it in a theater on a Tuesday night? If there were 10 people I would be surprised.

Some people have no imagination. Not talking so much about films like White Balloon. Talking more about quality films with proven box office appeal like this:

Slumdog Millionaire

The Reader

Man on Wire

Little Miss Sunshine (if it was current)

There Will Be Blood (if it was current)

My Life as a Dog (if it was current)

Happy-Go-Lucky (Mike Leigh)

In Bruges

Juno

No Country for Old Men

Vicky Cristina Barcelona

The Wackness

Waltz with Bashir

The Wrestler

I am sorry if you don't understand my message. The fact that a major chain here is showing an art film, and going to it to show support for more diverse programming, is not the same thing as saying we want a lineup of hard core art films. It is saying there is a hunger for MORE CHOICES!

The vast majority of good movies (and I do not mean art/festival films) are NOT released in Thailand. Bangkok of course has more choices than any city in Thailand. I don't see why Pattaya can't have a chance to see everything at least Bangkok does.

Also, I disagree with the people with no vision about what Pattaya is becoming. It is becoming a world city. It is becoming Bangkok at the Beach. People who are paying attention, people with money, see this already. Great cities like San Francisco and Buenos Aires started as whorehouses too.

Edited by Jingthing

Well to be a bangkok at the beach - they'd have to level the entire place and redo the road system and I'm afraid that isn't going to happen. I dare say won't happen in my lifetime or yours - not sure in 10 lifetimes either. :o

You overrate Bangkok. The vast majority of it is a pit. Pattaya can compete!

You overrate Bangkok. The vast majority of it is a pit. Pattaya can compete!

Fully agree! There is more cultural stuff on offer in Bangkok, but considering its population of 12 (?) Mio people it's next to nothing!

Actually, a Resort at Lake Maprachan has a fully equipped cinema with some 20 seats available. If we get a crowd together that wants to watch a certain movie there, I'm sure this can be arranged...

The fact that a major chain here is showing an art film, and going to it to show support for more diverse programming...
It is not being shown because it is an "art" film, but because there is local interest and the Soi Cowboy tagline will pull in a certain type of tourist, nothing to do with 'the message' within.

The fact that a major chain here is showing an art film, and going to it to show support for more diverse programming...
It is not being shown because it is an "art" film, but because there is local interest and the Soi Cowboy tagline will pull in a certain type of tourist, nothing to do with 'the message' within.

You are most likely correct. But it is an art film. Do you think they are so stupid they don't know that? In any case, if we don't support more diverse programming if we want more diverse programming, no matter what the motivation of the programmers, serves us right for the crappy programming we do get here.

BTW, the scene in Soi Cowboy (as detailed by a reviewer I linked) where the girl determines the value of the gold chain gift is priceless.

Very bad movie unfortunately, barely watchable. I say Boycott this rubbish - Patters needs good movies, not crap!!! :o

I enjoy going to the movies and over the last 3 years I've been going to see most of the English movies that come out. At a rate of about one new English movie per week there isn't any choice. It's either that movie or no movies for the week.

Over the last few weeks I've started doing something new. I've started reading movie reviews to help me decide if I want to see them or not. I've watched so many very bad movies in Pattaya that enough is enough. I can't take it anymore.

Soi Cowboy lost out as a result.

One of the worst was on a couple of weeks ago - Quarantine...worse than Cloverfield even and that's saying something. I wish they'd shoot the producers of films shot on hand cams. I'd had enough already after Blair Witch Prodject.

Quarantine is on of those many dogs they pass off as a major movie. I reckon they can get these dog films for less and they know there is always a market in Thailand for horror or ghost films, Thai or foreign. It is a good idea to look up the films first on rottentomatoes before wasting the time.

Quarantine is on of those many dogs they pass off as a major movie. I reckon they can get these dog films for less and they know there is always a market in Thailand for horror or ghost films, Thai or foreign. It is a good idea to look up the films first on rottentomatoes before wasting the time.

I use "external reviews" on IMDB.com and just take an assortment. Rottentomatoes is included.

I use "external reviews" on IMDB.com and just take an assortment. Rottentomatoes is included.

Yeah, I use that too. I was surprised that Quarantine got a 59 percent so this method isn't foolproof. I thought it would be no higher than 10 percent. I saw it online, it sure did suck.

Actually Quarantine wasn't bad - liked it more if it was not the handycam viewpoint. Rent [Rec] - spanish original, and far better IMHO.

Do you think they are so stupid they don't know that? In any case, if we don't support more diverse programming if we want more diverse programming, no matter what the motivation of the programmers, serves us right for the crappy programming we do get here.
I don't wish to appear to labor the point beyond what is reasonable debate, however at risk of doing just that:

Re. Do you think they are so stupid they don't know that? Do 'they' care?

Do they monitor farang attendance at a particular screening, I would guess someone is (should be) number crunching ticket sales for English soundtrack based on time and day of week to direct programming to match that profile.

Do they promote or consider Soi Cowboy based on it's 'art' status or the farang sex tourist tie-in?

Do they promote or consider Soi Cowboy based on it's 'art' status or the farang sex tourist tie-in?

Who knows? Probably its Thai related content but I will give them the benefit of the doubt that they had the basic intelligence to see this was not a typical Hollywood release. I didn't intend to make a federal case about this. Its just a chance to support more diverse programming, which bottom line, I think a lot of people would like to see, also more art and culture of all kinds here even if vehicle itself, Soi Cowboy, is a flawed product, which it is. They also recently released an older small indy American film also with Thai related content called the Elephant King, again, probably got released for its Thai content.

Edited by Jingthing

I think the only reason why they considered Soi Cowboy was because it was cheap and they're struggling to find movies for the 24 screens in Pattaya.