I Have To Leave Thailand, But Do I Have To Go To Laos?

Greetings from the Isaan Boondocks,

The first year of my retirement visa is due to expire on 24 February 2009.

I have been told that if I leave Thailand and return before it will be extended for another year.

I have a multiple entry permit so re-entry is not a problem.

My intention is to leave via Nongkhai since I can get another re-entry permit at the immigration office there when I return.

Now, my question is:

When leave Thailand and pass through immigration at Nongkhai, can I just turn around and walk back through the immigration check-point without actually entering Laos?

When I was younger and more adventurous I “did” Laos and apart from the beer there is no magnet drawing me back.

I'd be grateful for any comments.

Cheers

I have been told that if I leave Thailand and return before it will be extended for another year.

My intention is to leave via Nongkhai since I can get another re-entry permit at the immigration office there when I return.

Now, my question is:

When leave Thailand and pass through immigration at Nongkhai, can I just turn around and walk back through the immigration check-point without actually entering Laos?

When I was younger and more adventurous I “did” Laos and apart from the beer there is no magnet drawing me back.

Cheers

I do not think your retirement permit of stay will be extended by another year just by crossing into Laos and back

If you have a multi entry 1 year visa you will get 3 months permit of stay at most and then you do not need a re-entry permit beforehand

To extend your retirement 1 year permit of sty you need to apply at an immigration office with funds in the bank

Does the OP have an O-A visa? Aren't they treated differently in this regard? I thought it was common for people to manage a two year stay (with properly time reentry) with a one year O-A.

If he is on an extension of an O visa, wouldn't he only get 15 days entering from Laos, not 90 days? .

BTW, the OP posed an excellent question, nothing laosy (sic) about it. :o

Edited by Jingthing

Now, my question is:

When I was younger and more adventurous I "did" Laos and apart from the beer there is no magnet drawing me back.

Cheers

What type of visa do you have?

If it is a multiple entry non immigrant OA you would not need a re-Entry permit. And you will get one year when you re-enter.

If you have a single entry you need to apply for an extension of stay at immigration to get another year.

Cowman, I think you should scan and post the visa you have so that we can give you specific advice for your situation. Your reference to "retirement visa" and "multiple entry permit" is confusing. I took it to be a multiple-entry non-OA visa but cannot be sure.

--

Maestro

Ref O-A Multy Entry I am here on O-A

If the OP just walks out gets a stamp into any other contry and walks back.

He or She will only get a further 90 days Not 1 Year.

Please Correct me if Wrong

If it is a Multi Entry O-A Non Imm Visa and you exit/enter before the expiry date you get 12 months.

If it is a Single Entry O-A Non Imm Visa you get 15 days unless you purchased a Re Entry Permit.

If it is a Multi Entry Non Imm O Visa and you exit/enter before the expiry date you get 90 days.

If it is a Single Entry Non Imm O Visa and you exit/enter you get 15 days unless you purchased a Re Entry Permit.

The 15 days becomes 30 days if you entered at an airport.