Great Fish And Chips At Last

JimShortz

Not enough food topics recently so I feel obliged to start one!

In search of the best tasting and best value Fish and chips in town. I think I have the winner - unless you can tell me otherwise...

I've just discovered "Chilli Belle fish and Chips" on the side of the new Rimping Supermarket (the one next to Airport Plaza). To find it just pull into the Rimping car park, walk past the door to go into the supermarket about 20m and there you are. Lucky you!

I've been twice this week and in my, not very humble opinion (as a Brit - and therefore Fish and Chip expert!), it's delicious and ridiculously cheap. It really is better than 80% of the now mostly non-British owned chippies in Blighty; Thai owned I think, but they sure know how to make batter and how to fry British styley...they even have cod if you want to fork out for it. Personally I'm not sure it's worth it: the snapper is delicious, as are the battered shripms and calamari rings. You don't get many chips (unless you buy a seperate large portion) but they are lovely - crispy onthe outside, but fluffy in the middle.

Someone has suggested to me that it is an off-shoot of a restaraunt here in CM. Anyone know anymore about this?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, but if you think that place is good you know NOTHING about fish and chips. The snapper tastes nothing like the white fish normally used for fish and chips, and the chips...well, theyre not chips at all, theyre kind of chunky potato wedge things. The portions are tiny, and the flavour is terrible.

If you want good fish and chips in Ch Mai, the best two places by a distance are Charlies, just off Loi Kroh, and the UN Irish pub. Both are LIGHT YEARS ahead of this apology for a fish and chip shop. Astonishing, that ANYONE in their right mind could give a recommendation for this place!!! Yukhhh!!

If you want good fish and chips in Ch Mai, the best two places by a distance are Charlies, just off Loi Kroh, and the UN Irish pub. Both are LIGHT YEARS ahead of this apology for a fish and chip shop. Astonishing, that ANYONE in their right mind could give a recommendation for this place!!! Yukhhh!!

The Rose Guesthouse uses Cod and you get a good, tasty portion for 180 baht, however they have fries instead of chips, but I think they have fries at the UN Pub too (I could be wrong about that).

Postman Pat

The snapper tastes nothing like the white fish normally used for fish and chips, and the chips...well, theyre not chips at all, theyre kind of chunky potato wedge things .... `100 % right .... yuk !

Charlies, just off Loi Kroh, and the UN Irish pub

Charlies .... fish is small and often dry but chips ok

UN Irish .... fish is moist and bigger but the chips are sometimes chewey

if someone knows where to get better fish than the UN Irish bar please enlighten me ?

dave2

I have enjoyed the Fish n Chips from the place not serving free water over the last 8 years!

Just asked the Mrs, she prefers the Sizzlers Fish n Chips. I must admit if we eat there, and I havent brought my own mustard for the burgers or steak, then it is the Fish n Chips for me.

Iain

The Rose Guesthouse uses Cod and you get a good, tasty portion for 180 baht, however they have fries instead of chips, but I think they have fries at the UN Pub too (I could be wrong about that).

I know I'm going to regret joining in on a another food thread but . . . and no offence intended . . . are you using British or American English here UG? I have never, even in Thailand, seen fried fish served with crisps (chips). Traditional British fish and chips á la (Harry Ramsden) would translate into American English as deep fried, battered cod with french fries.

The only place in Thailand where I have really enjoyed eating fish and chips was The Laughing Leprechaun. But even Dominick could not reproduce the authentic greaseproof paper and newspaper wrapped, salt and vinegar laden treat that is now probably outlawed by Brussels.

JxP

Sorry, but if you think that place is good you know NOTHING about fish and chips. The snapper tastes nothing like the white fish normally used for fish and chips, and the chips...well, theyre not chips at all, theyre kind of chunky potato wedge things. The portions are tiny, and the flavour is terrible.

Is Charlies the kinda open-air one in that small Soi run by an English dude? And they serve only

fish and chips? If so it was great when I was there last year..

What I meant was that Rose Guest House uses American style (thin) fries as opposed to English chips (thick). I like British chips (and salt and vinegar) with Fish and Chips.

I LOVED The Laughing Leprechaun's fish and chips too, but don't trust his missus to serve the same quality.

I discovered Cheap Charlies when I was in town last month, I enjoyed it so much I went again the next day. Well I'm a pom exiled in Melbourne so it was the nearest to British Fish and Chips that I'd tasted for some time.

Chales is a rum bugger, you'd never call it Cheerful Charlies :o

I know I'm going to regret joining in on a another food thread but . . . and no offence intended . . . are you using British or American English here UG? I have never, even in Thailand, seen fried fish served with crisps (chips). Traditional British fish and chips á la (Harry Ramsden) would translate into American English as deep fried, battered cod with french fries.

The only place in Thailand where I have really enjoyed eating fish and chips was The Laughing Leprechaun. But even Dominick could not reproduce the authentic greaseproof paper and newspaper wrapped, salt and vinegar laden treat that is now probably outlawed by Brussels.

JxP

Cheerful :o Charlie's Chips are pretty close to what you would get in a mediocre fish and chip shop in the UK.

I've noticed that the 'Fish and Chip shop' that was located on Rajawiti has closed down, probably the worst fish and chips I've ever tasted, as for what they tried to pass off as Shepherds Pie I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Edited by anonymouse

What I meant was that Rose Guest House uses American style (thin) fries as opposed to English chips (thick). I like British chips (and salt and vinegar) with Fish and Chips.

I LOVED The Laughing Leprechaun's fish and chips too, but don't trust his missus to serve the same quality.

Glad we've cleared that up!

JxP

Postman Pat

The snapper tastes nothing like the white fish normally used for fish and chips, and the chips...well, theyre not chips at all, theyre kind of chunky potato wedge things .... `100 % right .... yuk !

Charlies, just off Loi Kroh, and the UN Irish pub

Charlies .... fish is small and often dry but chips ok

UN Irish .... fish is moist and bigger but the chips are sometimes chewey

if someone knows where to get better fish than the UN Irish bar please enlighten me ?

dave2

I used to run a small restaurant in Patters a few years ago that ended up as a delivery food service as the clientele was mostly Farrang who lived in the immediate vicinity so business was there all the year round and not subject to high or low season, any way fish and chips were always in demand the fish i used i sourced from a local fish market, it was as i remember called Indian Halibut or one eye, most clients seemed to like it, you can get it in CM it looks like a piranha fish tiny little razor sharp teeth, but the problem is all the ones i have seen up here are in my opinion to small to get any decent sized fillets off, but if i was ever to open a restaurant up here i would be very tempted to ship this particular fish up from patters.they are at least 3 times the size of the ones up here

With out opening another food thread does any body here know if any of these restaurants selling Fish & Chips have pickled onions on offer, i have not come across any in CM and would like to hear if any body knows where in CM they are available

Edited by tigerbalm

With out opening another food thread does any body here know if any of these restaurants selling Fish & Chips have pickled onions on offer, i have not come across any in CM and would like to hear if any body knows where in CM they are available

Find the onions at Rimping, who also have pickled-gerkhins & beetroot, but they're not often in malt-vinegar. :o

Have to say the best I have had in CM is The Red Lion....with a side dish of mush peas, and you get a bottle of tartre sauce, not a teaspoon full.

I have to agree and I think you are the one who introduced me to Red Lion's F&C, and absolutely the one who taught the joy of their mush peas..

Probably the place da wife and I frequent the most often is Sizzler due to proximity and their excellent salad bar. Since it is only a few baht more to get the fish and chips, I do that often as well. Apparently the Sizzler at Huay Keaw was taken over by new management not long ago and not only the salad bar but the fish and chips majorly improved!

Someone has suggested to me that it is an off-shoot of a restaraunt here in CM. Anyone know anymore about this?

There is another branch of this restaurant on the same soi as Phuket seafood on the canal road near the 700 year stadium. They do a very good pork chop with pepper sauce for only 140 baht.

I`m a regular customer at Charlie`s Fish & Chips.

The food is good, not over priced and Charlie, known as cheerful Charlie really puts himself out to make his customers feel welcome.

Other Farangs actually talk to other Farangs in that restaurant.

Charlie told me that he is opening a new fish & Chip takeaway on the Tha Pae Road this month.

The photo below (right) is Charlie chatting with one of his customers. Unfortunately she`s not on the menu.

Here is an easy way to find Charlies restaurant:

Travel down the Ta pai road until you see a huge green sign on the left that reads, Ta pai Place Hotel.

Turn left into that soi by the sign.

Travel to the end than turn left into another soi.

At the end turn right and Charlie`s fish & chips is about 10 metres on the left.

post-11344-1233855461_thumb.jpg

post-11344-1233855472_thumb.jpg

Edited by sassienie

I've tried the fish 'n chips at a number of places around town, and Charlie's is definitely the best imo. Eaten there dozens of times, good fish, never a bone (as the ad says). Chips are typical proper British fish 'n chip shop chips. You can even have mushy peas, or make a chip butty if you feel so inclined. And Charlie - unless he's being run off his feet - always makes time for a chat.

I've tried the fish 'n chips at a number of places around town, and Charlie's is definitely the best imo. Eaten there dozens of times, good fish, never a bone (as the ad says). Chips are typical proper British fish 'n chip shop chips. You can even have mushy peas, or make a chip butty if you feel so inclined. And Charlie - unless he's being run off his feet - always makes time for a chat.

heres a tip

go to tops supermarket buy three grouper (25 baht each). get them filleted.

make a simple batter use some of last nights chang if you will

fry the fish

buy potatoes...cut them up. fry them

lo and behold youve got fish and chips for 6.

total outlay FOR 6 PEOPLE about 120 baht including the oil

1 portion of fish and chips anywhere in town ..................180 baht.as the yanks like to say you do the math. And they dont use grouper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

heres a tip

fry the fish

1 portion of fish and chips anywhere in town ..................180 baht.as the yanks like to say you do the math. And they dont use grouper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You mean, like, cook?!? I prefer the lo and behold of "here's the menu sir", "coming right up sir", and while waiting for it miraculously to appear, drink the Chang before it goes flat ... :o

heres a tip

fry the fish

You mean, like, cook?!? I prefer the lo and behold of "here's the menu sir", "coming right up sir", and while waiting for it miraculously to appear, drink the Chang before it goes flat ... :o

but mine are far afar far better than theirs.

I'm astonished to see the lack of support for the delicious fish and chips being served at the new Chilli Belle - but i suppose I should have known better on TV! Both myself, and all my Englsh friends think it's great and simply wanted to let others know about it... (so that it stays open and we can enjoy it - selfish I know, but there you go...) Charlies is ok - I agree with the poster that described it like a mediocre British chippy, and over priced too. Not bad - just mediocre.

Chilli Belle's chips aren't like British chippy ones (that are mostly crap these days, unfortunately); they are larger, and a sight tastier! Small fish and chips at Chilli Belle is 59 Baht, and a family pack is only 199Baht (chips, 3 battered snapper, 6 shrimp in bread crumbs, 9 calamari in breadcrumbs) - astonishing value, and extremely tasty... Got to be the best value in town. I just don't see how they make any profit, especially as they provide proper malt vinegar, give real lemon wedges (not lime) and sell canned drinks at the same price as 7-11.

I have just been to the Chilli Belle for fish n chips so I could give my honest opinion on it, for me it wasn't as good as Charlies, but then again you get what you pay for. I could best describe it as like the box fish n chips that Findus and Ross etc used to make and were available in the freezer at tesco's and Sainsburys back in the UK. It was more like oven fish n chips. Saying that Ive had a lot worse. Thats my opinion on it as a north of englander.

heres a tip

fry the fish

amen.

con - doing the washing up!

well worth it though.