Great Fish And Chips At Last

JimShortz

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooohhh, Thai pauly, are you threatening violence?? Whats a right flaming.....Lets be clear again, Chili Bell is rubbish!!! An insult to decent fish and chips!! Now, what do you want to do...take me outside for a fight??!!

Grow up you pathetic specimen, whoever you are!!

I was in the area and tried the Chilli Belle Fish & Chips, I thought that value for money wise it was very good, though it's not somewhere I would go out of my way to visit. A piece of fish, a few thick chips, two battered shrimps, two Calimari and can of soft drink for less than a 100baht is a bargain. The food was fine - nowhere does it say that it's a traditional British or Austalian or whatever chippie about as authentic as the Thai food you'll find in a UK pub :o

anonymouse is a pretty good cook and has excellent taste in restaurants and is English to the bone. He thought that Chilli Belle Fish & Chips was not bad for these parts and I know that he was a big fan of the fish and chips at the Laughing Leprechan, which were darn good. I would give it a try on his say-so.

Of the few places that I have tried, I still recommend the Rose Guest House over most of the others. It is too bad that they serve french fries instead of British chips, but so does the UN Irish Pub, and they should know better.

I do want to try "Cheerful Charlies", but he seems to only be open in the daytime and I prefer a lighter lunch.

I was in the area and tried the Chilli Belle Fish & Chips, I thought that value for money wise it was very good, though it's not somewhere I would go out of my way to visit. A piece of fish, a few thick chips, two battered shrimps, two Calimari and can of soft drink for less than a 100baht is a bargain. The food was fine - nowhere does it say that it's a traditional British or Austalian or whatever chippie about as authentic as the Thai food you'll find in a UK pub :o

anonymouse is a pretty good cook and has excellent taste in restaurants and is English to the bone. He thought that Chilli Belle Fish & Chips was not bad for these parts and I know that he was a big fan of the fish and chips at the Laughing Leprechan, which were darn good. I would give it a try on his say-so.

Of the few places that I have tried, I still recommend the Rose Guest House over most of the others. It is too bad that they serve french fries instead of British chips, but so does the UN Irish Pub, and they should know better.

I do want to try "Cheerful Charlies", but he seems to only be open in the daytime and I prefer a lighter lunch.

No Charlie is open in the evening, although I think we were there a bit after nine and I seem to remember lights going out after we were served.

Ooohhh, Thai pauly, are you threatening violence?? Whats a right flaming.....Lets be clear again, Chili Bell is rubbish!!! An insult to decent fish and chips!! Now, what do you want to do...take me outside for a fight??!!

Grow up you pathetic specimen, whoever you are!!

In YOUR opinion Chilli Belle is rubbish......we don't all have to agree with you.

I'm already grown up thank you :D

and calling me a "Pathetic Specimen IS flaming actually.

I'm so so upset that you could possibly think that of me :o

Have a nice day

Only in the Chiang Mai forum can people get so heated up over a discussion on Fish & Chips...amazing :D

Ha ha lol. That's funny anonymouse because to know that folks are getting heated over this topic, you yourself must have read every single post. Otherwise, how could you know possibly? he he!! And of course, by contributing in the thread, you become part of the discussion :o

Still, it does make a nice change from burgers, and, burgers, and more burgers, ad infinitum...

Aitch

i.e. a french fry sandwich with butter and ketchup (and they have the nerve to talk bad about our food). :o

No, a sandwich would imply, that it is made with sliced-bread. Although the original 'Earl of Sandwich' reportedly just cut the loaf in half, to insert his beef, hope there are no double-entendres there. :D

Anyway, aren't they supposed to have been renamed 'freedom-fries', in the New World ? :D

actually you can get fish and chips for 90 baht at The Brick road Cafe in Ratchadamnoen..and thats with great British style, homecut chips.

I've tried the fish 'n chips at a number of places around town, and Charlie's is definitely the best imo. Eaten there dozens of times, good fish, never a bone (as the ad says). Chips are typical proper British fish 'n chip shop chips. You can even have mushy peas, or make a chip butty if you feel so inclined. And Charlie - unless he's being run off his feet - always makes time for a chat.

heres a tip

go to tops supermarket buy three grouper (25 baht each). get them filleted.

make a simple batter use some of last nights chang if you will

fry the fish

buy potatoes...cut them up. fry them

lo and behold youve got fish and chips for 6.

total outlay FOR 6 PEOPLE about 120 baht including the oil

1 portion of fish and chips anywhere in town ..................180 baht.as the yanks like to say you do the math. And they dont use grouper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 6 months later...
Not enough food topics recently so I feel obliged to start one!

In search of the best tasting and best value Fish and chips in town. I think I have the winner - unless you can tell me otherwise...

I've just discovered "Chilli Belle fish and Chips" on the side of the new Rimping Supermarket (the one next to Airport Plaza). To find it just pull into the Rimping car park, walk past the door to go into the supermarket about 20m and there you are. Lucky you!

I've been twice this week and in my, not very humble opinion (as a Brit - and therefore Fish and Chip expert!), it's delicious and ridiculously cheap. It really is better than 80% of the now mostly non-British owned chippies in Blighty; Thai owned I think, but they sure know how to make batter and how to fry British styley...they even have cod if you want to fork out for it. Personally I'm not sure it's worth it: the snapper is delicious, as are the battered shripms and calamari rings. You don't get many chips (unless you buy a seperate large portion) but they are lovely - crispy onthe outside, but fluffy in the middle.

Someone has suggested to me that it is an off-shoot of a restaraunt here in CM. Anyone know anymore about this?

But its not on the infamous chiangmai's corrupt fish and chips vote hahahahahahahahahaha :)

In search of the best tasting and best value Fish and chips in town. I think I have the winner - unless you can tell me otherwise...

I've just discovered "Chilli Belle fish and Chips" on the side of the new Rimping Supermarket (the one next to Airport Plaza). To find it just pull into the Rimping car park, walk past the door to go into the supermarket about 20m and there you are. Lucky you!

I've been twice this week and in my, not very humble opinion (as a Brit - and therefore Fish and Chip expert!), it's delicious and ridiculously cheap. It really is better than 80% of the now mostly non-British owned chippies in Blighty; Thai owned I think, but they sure know how to make batter and how to fry British styley...they even have cod if you want to fork out for it. Personally I'm not sure it's worth it: the snapper is delicious, as are the battered shripms and calamari rings. You don't get many chips (unless you buy a seperate large portion) but they are lovely - crispy onthe outside, but fluffy in the middle.

Someone has suggested to me that it is an off-shoot of a restaraunt here in CM. Anyone know anymore about this?

:) I'm actually from lower Franconia in Germany. I've read that article with a smile in my face....why is that so important where you can buy the best fish and chips? There's much better food around. Tom Yam Plaa...Plaa tabtimm with garlic sauce, It seems that you should go back where they mostly eat fish and chips....you're talking about calamari rings? waht about fresh squid? Plaa muekk sood? May be you're the one who's fluffy in the inside?

Whata sour crowt !

I'm actually from lower Franconia in Germany. I've read that article with a smile in my face....why is that so important where you can buy the best fish and chips? There's much better food around. Tom Yam Plaa...Plaa tabtimm with garlic sauce, It seems that you should go back where they mostly eat fish and chips....

Even Thai people don't eat only Thai food every single day.

More advice from a two week tourist! :)

heres a tip

go to tops supermarket buy three grouper (25 baht each). get them filleted.

make a simple batter use some of last nights chang if you will

fry the fish

buy potatoes...cut them up. fry them

lo and behold youve got fish and chips for 6.

total outlay FOR 6 PEOPLE about 120 baht including the oil

1 portion of fish and chips anywhere in town ..................180 baht.as the yanks like to say you do the math. And they dont use grouper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I vote for this scenario.

Learn how to cook.

It is not rocket science, people.

:)

:) I'm actually from lower Franconia in Germany. I've read that article with a smile in my face....why is that so important where you can buy the best fish and chips? There's much better food around. Tom Yam Plaa...Plaa tabtimm with garlic sauce, It seems that you should go back where they mostly eat fish and chips....you're talking about calamari rings? waht about fresh squid? Plaa muekk sood? May be you're the one who's fluffy in the inside?

Edited by rohitsuk

Learn how to cook.

It is not rocket science, people.

:)

Might as well be.

Home-cooked fish and chips are simply not the same. You might be able to improve on the quality compared with your local fish and chippie, but improving on or even equalling the taste is a more difficult proposition. Maybe if i had a spare four years to put myself through cooking school.... and then the money to invest in a fully equiped kitchen with deep-fat-friers, i might have a chance i guess.